Panama Canal cruise cancelled, 4/6/2024 Rhapsody

Just a heads up to those of you who were sailing with us on the Rhapsody of the Seas Panama Canal cruise - it has been cancelled and replaced with an ABC islands cruise. And while I enjoy the ABC islands, I've been there a couple of times, and really wanted to see the Panama Canal. So disappointed. Thankfully we'll have some time to research and hopefully find another Panama Canal cruise to put in its place. 

I have done so much research on this cruise... and I convinced some friends to join us because it's the Panama Canal. Oh well.

If anyone finds any great options on RCCL for that same time period to Panama Canal, post here please. I will as well.

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

I got the impression all the canal cruises were "enhanced" by just making them southern Caribbean routes.

Technically yes but in reality they were cancelled as they give you the option for a full refunded even with a nrd deposit.  They know that if they tell people that if they have just changed things up they will get a larger % ofbpeople that stick with the new itinerary.  Those will be a hard itinerary for them to sell.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, twangster said:

How long before they redeploy the ship?  I can't see a lot of folks staying on or new guests booking a cruise that starts in Panama.  Not Royal Caribbean type guests.

I agree with you.  I think they’re gonna have a hard time filling these “enhanced “ replacement cruises without some kind of incentive to remain ($$).  Maybe I will cancel the 2 Panama Canal cruises, keep my airline reservations and wait to rebook the enhanced replacement cruises once the prices crater !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

It looks like everything from 2-17 through 4-6 has been cancelled.  The first one still showing as available is 4-13-24.

Inside cabins are $450 per person on the 4-13-24 sailing..........Might be cheaper way of getting from Colon to the States(Ft. Lauderdale) then a plane ticket for the Colon Citizens.

On 8/8/2023 at 4:35 PM, twangster said:

How long before they redeploy the ship?  I can't see a lot of folks staying on or new guests booking a cruise that starts in Panama.  Not Royal Caribbean type guests.

Probably August 30, the day after the "whatcha gonna do?" deadline passes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Probably August 30, the day after the "whatcha gonna do?" deadline passes.

When Cuba became unavailable Royal had to redeploy Empress and Majesty on short notice.  Most people didn't stay on the ship for the changed itineraries.

It became a great opportunity for folks who wanted to climb the CAS ladder quicker.  Many dates had no single supplements for solo and rates were cheap to fill the ship on a few months notice, just like Rhapsody.

Keep an eye on Rhapsody.  There may be opportunity there.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, twangster said:

When Cuba became unavailable Royal had to redeploy Empress and Majesty on short notice.  Most people didn't stay on the ship for the changed itineraries.

It became a great opportunity for folks who wanted to climb the CAS ladder quicker.  Many dates had no single supplements for solo and rates were cheap to fill the ship on a few months notice, just like Rhapsody.

Keep an eye on Rhapsody.  There may be opportunity there.  

If I have to fly to Panama, wouldnt help if they get rid of solo supplements. Need to bring the ship back to usa before it would be worth it for me as a bargain. 

48 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

If I have to fly to Panama, wouldnt help if they get rid of solo supplements. Need to bring the ship back to usa before it would be worth it for me as a bargain. 

Don't forget to check celebrity every now and then for no solo supplement also. Took a 7 night on the Infinity last year, connecting Concierge class cabins, premium beverage and internet, grats paid, and $400 OBC each....at a cost of $1500 pp. Obviously the lower categories were cheaper. Although I doubt we will ever see a bargain out of Florida again since someone decided to relocate here....😁

• Like 1

I’m on a sailing on March 23 2024. I don’t know if I should keep the new itinerary or to cancel/find something new. The problem is that I am traveling with kids on spring break, and don’t have much flexibility with time. I have booked the flight there, and a hotel as I am arriving the night before. Part of me thinks it would be more convenient to just get on in Colon, but the canal was the biggest reason I booked in the first place. Anyone know if there are sailings to the canal during that same week, or a week before? I am open to any suggestions.

35 minutes ago, unpackonce said:

I’m on a sailing on March 23 2024. I don’t know if I should keep the new itinerary or to cancel/find something new. The problem is that I am traveling with kids on spring break, and don’t have much flexibility with time. I have booked the flight there, and a hotel as I am arriving the night before. Part of me thinks it would be more convenient to just get on in Colon, but the canal was the biggest reason I booked in the first place. Anyone know if there are sailings to the canal during that same week, or a week before? I am open to any suggestions.

I am also looking at other cruise lines. Cartagena is the one port I have not been.

On 8/11/2023 at 7:38 AM, shiner6 said:

Why are so many Panama cruises being cancelled or changed? Is it because of the drought?

Extreme Drought conditions. They use approximately 50 million gallons of fresh water for each ship that traverses the canal. Some cargo ships are being required to lose weight to lose draft. Cruse ships get a day transit and a slotted scheduled time but they pay a premium. I recently read the charge for one passing is now over $300,000. No wonder Royal says no way. Cargo ships do save about 6000 miles of travel distance by using the canal. .

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 2