The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday August 12th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I probably can't see the Perseid meteor shower from home, as too much light pollution. I haven't had Kool-Aid in years. I still have some vinyl records and a turntable but haven't played them in a long time. Interesting quote. I'll pass on the meal and the drink, and yes to the wine. I haven't been to Boca da Valeria. I'll salute Singer and his great invention.

We had rain overnight and I was awakened at about 3:30AM by thunder. It's sunny now, but there are warnings for severe storms this afternoon. It's too wet out to do any yard work, so I will get started on laundry in a bit.

Celebration List Correction: StLouisCruiser's DH Dennis' birthday is 8/13, as is Copper10-8's anniversary. Sorry for the errors.

@richwmn Happy Birthday and blessings for the year to come! Thank you for keeping the FR/Daily going all this time.

@StLouisCruisers Sorry I posted DH's birthday wrong, I just got confused as I knew that it was tomorrow, as is Copper10-8's anniversary! Enjoy Reykajavik, a place I'd like to visit some day. Nice photos from Boca da Valeria.

@summer slope Sorry to hear that they couldn't diagnose you. I'm glad to hear you consider it a minor problem, but I'm sure you'd like it gone.

@smitty34877 Good to hear that DH Lou is doing a little better. I'm glad you have family to support you at this time. Prayers for a complete recovery for Lou from these new issues.

@RMLincoln Oh my on the high reading for DH, but great that help was available to advise you what to do. And how would he have known without the monitoring device, unless there were symptoms. I hope you can still travel to NY; if so, safe travels.

@cat shepard Sorry your neighbor lost Emma and how sweet that Bindi still looks for her. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for the great photos from Boca da Valeria.

@marshhawk Good to hear that Bubbles showed up; it seems he had quite an adventure. 

@ottahand7 Lovely photos. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating anything!

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all!
As usual I'm the first one up, so taking advantage of the quiet time to catch up here.  We're having a great time with our youngest DGS and I know he's having a good time.  Yesterday we took him to see "Elemental" and as DH said, it's a good thing we don't have more grandchildren, we wouldn't want to sit through that movie a 3rd time! 😉  Afterwards we went to dinner, home and to bed.  Today will be full, Shep has a birthday party to attend in Edmonds.  DH and I may try to get some research done at the Rick Steves Center there while he's at the party.  Then this afternoon is swimming and water slides at an aquatic center nearby.  He should be good and tired tonight!  

Happy Birthday Rich @richwmn!!  

Terry @smitty34877 I'm glad that your DH Lou is doing a little better, and also that you have family there.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good mroring from central Texas where it is already 80F and feels like 86F.  The predicted high is 106F, so I'll be heading out as early as possible to mow and trim the yard.  I also need to wash the cars before it gets too hot.  It will be humid since it's already 77% humidity with a dew point of 72F.  The humidity should drop some as it warms up this morning, and the 11 mph wind will help.

The Perseid Meteor Shower will be good this year, and I hope it's not to hot to sit outside to watch it.  I had Kool-Aid growing up, but my mother did not buy it often.  We still have all our old vinyl record allums, and my 45s.  In honor of the day:

362280711_678261074337958_6854963812237333028_n.thumb.jpg.f4b016cd94610e9c63d63fa0ef9e30ce.jpg

Today's quote is true, but we need our memories as they are part of who we are.

The meal might be good, and I'd like to try the wine.  We'll pass on the wine.

We visited Boca da Valeria in 2006 on the old Regal Princess.

The invention of the sewing machine made sewing easier.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, enjoy your time in Reykajavik.  An early HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Dennis.

@summer slope  Dixie, I'm sorry they could not find the reason for your minor problem, but I hope they will soon.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad your DH Lou is doing better this morning.  I hope they can figure out what is happening to his blood work.  It is good you have such a caring and supportive family to help during this time.  Safe travels to your DS and DB.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I hope the pressure in your DH's eye is lower this moring and you can leave as planned today.  Safe travels if you leave today.

@ger_77  Gerry, for some strange reason I thought of you when I saw this yesterday afternoon. 

366232902_699528995546881_4450144436294388317_n.thumb.jpg.dc70029eb6e4f85f3e1ffa74b1df38df.jpg

362284960_211724758535087_5176065705037912220_n.jpg.4ff550f5301f3abe286cfb60c60074ed.jpg

366276362_686579330176627_2545601912972578158_n.jpg.d5e9a6d2723f2bfd6514973d810567d1.jpg

363368864_773562878102520_6469424556452987969_n.jpg.ec38d201461d61052a904eb245ac27e2.jpg

363377309_691489919518201_886868479915479621_n.jpg.9273e98e78afb1b9d5a96b51dd1aa2db.jpg

Lenda

Ms Crystal, you missed the point on the records all over the house. All those records are Crosby, Still, Nash and Young’s “Our House”,  is a very very fine house, with two cats on the yard, life use to be so hard, trying to nail those records on the house. I guess I got carried away.

• Like 3
  • Haha 21

Not a good day in these parts. A house in a neighboring town exploded and caught two others on fire, all destroyed. Other homes damaged significantly with windows blown out, ceilings falling, etc. Several fire hydrants were not operational and tankers had to be brought in. A 35 yo and 11 yo were last seen running toward a house, and are unaccounted for (wife and daughter were not home). This is still an active scene. So scary and sad. It's probably a natural gas issue, and this area had a house explosion last year! I've been listening on my scanner app. High praise for all the firefighters and EMS. It's also hot and heat exhaustion is a danger.

Just now got a tornado watch issued until 10PM tonight for my location. 

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 25

No way to "Like" @JazzyVreport. Hope everyone is found safe.  A tornado is certainly not needed at this juncture.

Got my lab reports back yesterday and today... things look pretty good but I will have to watch what I am eating now and in the future. See Dr. next week and I know he will scold. Have any  of you seen the Elderberries cartoon strip? One strip featured a group of retirement home residents singing "My doctor tells me how to stay alive....I'm 82 and he's 35". I think of singing that to my doctor. Ah the joys of growing old.

Off to see what is happening with Diane's cats. I think Jiffy has been adopted but no word on Duffy. Hope he is still in foster care if still available. I hate to think of him in cat receiving at the shelter... too crowded and too much noise for an old boy.

Susan

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Not a good day in these parts. A house in a neighboring town exploded and caught two others on fire, all destroyed. Other homes damaged significantly with windows blown out, ceilings falling, etc. Several fire hydrants were not operational and tankers had to be brought in. A 35 yo and 11 yo were last seen running toward a house, and are unaccounted for (wife and daughter were not home). This is still an active scene. So scary and sad. It's probably a natural gas issue, and this area had a house explosion last year! I've been listening on my scanner app. High praise for all the firefighters and EMS. It's also hot and heat exhaustion is a danger.

OMG Vanessa that's terrible!  

And please be safe.

Getting ready to leave for the birthday party, will check in later!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all. 

@smitty34877 hoping you all get some rest today to,build your strength!

@summer slope sorry you have no answers but hoping no news is good news! 
@JazzyV yikes on your news.  Stay safe. 

Very happy birthdays to Rich and Dennis! 
happy anniversary John and Maria! 
a good quote, and the wine is one of our house faves.  We have enjoyed visiting that winery and one of their special wines. 

image.thumb.jpeg.957e1719d69e4408f8e5c42ae0a300c0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a373eed4d9b168e6d8f191f13556f069.jpeg

IMG_0194.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 6

Vanessa, don’t worry about the early birthday wishes for Dennis. He’s pleased we can celebrate two days in a row like we did mine one year due to crisscrossing the International dateline!  

What a sad event in the nearby town with the probable gas explosion.  Such a dangerous thing to happen and especially how far and wide the damage is. Sorry about the loss of life. 🙁

It was a gorgeous day in Reykjavik and we enjoyed our walk downtown. Tomorrow Grundarfjordur, Iceland.  

• Like 22

Good afternoon from a sunny, hot and windy central Texas.  The weather app says it's 100F and feels like 107F.  The humidity has dropped to 34%, but the dew point is still 67F.  I'm glad I finished outside before it got really hot.  I was through with the mowing and trimming before 9 but still had to spray the weeds and pull up the marigolds.  The heat had finally gotten to them.

At least, I could wash the cars and golf cart in the port so was out of the sun.  The wind helped keep it cool.  The rest of the afternoon will be spent inside.  Tonight will be an easy dinner of chicken fajitias, one of my go to meals when I'm not in the mood to really cook.  Besides, we had a big dinner last night.  We split a NY strip, along with mashed potatoes and salad.  DH thought about cooking the steak outside on the infraread grill, but opted to use the indoor elelctric grill.  The steak was good, but not sd as good as if it had been cooked outside.  The electric grill just does not get hot enough to get a good sear on the steak.

5 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good Saturday Morning Dailyites!

DH and I had to make one of life's decisions that you never think you have to make-

We are cancelling the insurance on my car.  It has not run since January, DH isn't able to fix it at this time, and I refuse to pay 800 dollars insurance for 6 months on a 21 year old car that does not run.  It was 500, but I have been informed that insurance is going up with all insurance companies, and mine was going up to 800 every 6 months.  Because my insurance was bundled with the home insurance I was getting a discount (???? really)  And if I cancel the car insurance, my homeowners insurance will go up.  I don't have a problem with homeowners insurance, I have a home, I don't have a car.

My rep tried everything she could to try and get DH on my plan to save the home owners from going up.  Well he called his insurance and asked what it would cost to put me on his car insurance, and his rate went down with me on it.  Well, that was an easy decision to make.  His agent said that the cost would go up later this year, same thing, all insurance companies are raising their rates, but it was still cheaper than me alone on a 21 year old car.

@StLouisCruisersEnjoy that cool air, the heat index in your town this weekend, will be 105.  I doubt if we will see the meteor shower tonight, rain coming in.  You should be able to see it, if you don't have fog, clouds, rain etc.

Prayers to all-

oh. Bubbles showed back up...covered in spider webs and very hungry, guess he got caught somewhere.  Thanks for the furbaby prayers.  During Covid, someone released a bunch of cats into the neighborhood. Bubbles is one of them.  People have moved away, and left their cats here, so we feed them.  They all went a bit wild, they were not feral, but they became wild.  They have no trust in humans.  I wish we could do more, but they wont be touched or held, and every once in awhile, i can pet Bubbles head.  After two years, that is a big accomplishment.  He loved Fawn, and I guess that is why he keeps coming back.

767c77529363309d6b37cfe71b86cda0.jpg

Annie, Roy @rafinmd had a good point about canceling the car insurance.  When we first got the atvs in Arizona, our insurance agent told us we could cancel the insurance during the summer.  However, she forgot to tell us we needed to let the state know we'd cnaceled the insurance.  They found  out, and canceled the registraton on the atvs.  It was a big hassle to get that straightened out.  You might want to check on just getting the minimum coverage on the car, which should save quite a bit, especially if it's not being driven.  You definitely don't need collison, and other coverage related to driving.  It might also be enough coverage to let you keep the discount on the home owners insurance.

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Annie my problem goes way back on muscle cramps. I've tried the lavender bar anecdote, magnesium spray, vitamins, arnica, blue emu, tiger balm, theraworks, stretching,  electrolytes etc. I have a medicine chest full of it! Until I get off the statins I will continue to have cramps. My diet is strict, but my cholesterol is still hovering around 280 to 300, so I have to continue the statins. Will see what endocrinologist tells me Thursday. 

Joy, I hope you can get off the statins, and get the injections.

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!
As usual I'm the first one up, so taking advantage of the quiet time to catch up here.  We're having a great time with our youngest DGS and I know he's having a good time.  Yesterday we took him to see "Elemental" and as DH said, it's a good thing we don't have more grandchildren, we wouldn't want to sit through that movie a 3rd time! 😉  Afterwards we went to dinner, home and to bed.  Today will be full, Shep has a birthday party to attend in Edmonds.  DH and I may try to get some research done at the Rick Steves Center there while he's at the party.  Then this afternoon is swimming and water slides at an aquatic center nearby.  He should be good and tired tonight!  

Happy Birthday Rich @richwmn!!  

Terry @smitty34877 I'm glad that your DH Lou is doing a little better, and also that you have family there.

Carolyn, it  sounds like you and your DH have a busy weekend planned.  I know it will be fun.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Vanessa, that is so sad about the house explosion.  What a scary and sad way to spend a Saturday morning.  I hope the missing people are found safe.  I also hope the weather doesn't go beyond a tornatdo watch.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good cloudy afternoon. I’m waiting for the rain to start, it was sunny and hot earlier today. 
One of the fire companies in Lancaster county had a pulled pork drive up dinner today , so that’s dinner tonight. Also stopped at a farm market for some of their peaches. Yesterday we stopped at a different market to redeem a coupon for a free dozen ears of corn. We had been there in the spring and this was a comeback again reward. Corn is now cut off and in the freezer. 
@Crazy For Cats, I thought of you this morning when we passed Shady Maple on the way to the farm market. Hope you’re having a good time with the family visit. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 22

Good afternoon, 

It's a sunny but breezy day here and we're heading into a hot stretch (for us) this coming week with highs almost to 90. I'm thankful our house stays rather cool. 

Today is my DM's 97th birthday. She's in BC and has plans to go out for Greek food with my sisters later today. 

Life here is adjusting to not having DH and all the paperwork. I finally have all the papers submitted for two insurances and one TSA. One insurance - his group policy through Greyhound - will be here shortly. I did it on-line so easy to track. Today I got a refund from the Care Facility he was in from May until his passing and they have been so easy to work with. 

Three weeks tomorrow I board the Westerdam for a week to Alaska. I'm so looking forward to it and I know it will be different and it may be hard but I'm a strong person. When I get back I'll attend DH's 65th high school reunion on the 13th and we're doing his Celebration of Life on the 16th. It's at a local park, very laid back, casual, picnic style. DS and DDIL will help with the planning hopefully next weekend. 

Now off to a memorial service for a 91 year old friend from water aerobics who passed about 2 weeks after DH. 

Have a good day everyone!

Karen

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

14 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Good afternoon, 

It's a sunny but breezy day here and we're heading into a hot stretch (for us) this coming week with highs almost to 90. I'm thankful our house stays rather cool. 

Today is my DM's 97th birthday. She's in BC and has plans to go out for Greek food with my sisters later today. 

Life here is adjusting to not having DH and all the paperwork. I finally have all the papers submitted for two insurances and one TSA. One insurance - his group policy through Greyhound - will be here shortly. I did it on-line so easy to track. Today I got a refund from the Care Facility he was in from May until his passing and they have been so easy to work with. 

Three weeks tomorrow I board the Westerdam for a week to Alaska. I'm so looking forward to it and I know it will be different and it may be hard but I'm a strong person. When I get back I'll attend DH's 65th high school reunion on the 13th and we're doing his Celebration of Life on the 16th. It's at a local park, very laid back, casual, picnic style. DS and DDIL will help with the planning hopefully next weekend. 

Now off to a memorial service for a 91 year old friend from water aerobics who passed about 2 weeks after DH. 

Have a good day everyone!

Karen

Karen, you are indeed a strong woman.  I'm glad the insurance and paperwork are finished, and the payments will be forthcoming.  It was good the care facility was easy to work with.  I know you will have a good time even if it's a different time on your cruise.  Please wish your DM a VERRY HAPPY 97TH BIRTHDAY for us.

Lenda

• Like 18

23 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good cloudy afternoon. I’m waiting for the rain to start, it was sunny and hot earlier today. 
One of the fire companies in Lancaster county had a pulled pork drive up dinner today , so that’s dinner tonight. Also stopped at a farm market for some of their peaches. Yesterday we stopped at a different market to redeem a coupon for a free dozen ears of corn. We had been there in the spring and this was a comeback again reward. Corn is now cut off and in the freezer. 
@Crazy For Cats, I thought of you this morning when we passed Shady Maple on the way to the farm market. Hope you’re having a good time with the family visit. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

We were at Shady Maple around 8:30 this morning.   I picked up some Zerbes chips and some sugar cookies to take home.  We also bought a chocolate cake for the grandkids,  we're celebrating their birthdays, July and October.  We took them to Bird in Hand for late lunch/early dinner.

I was surprised to read that New Holland Family Restaurant is closing at the end of the month.

It's been a good trip so far.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Greetings, everyone!

It has been a great day in Reykjavik, but I am exhausted.  The highlight was the National Park and rift zone.  Most of what we think is the rift are actually fissures.  The rift zone tends to be a valley and in this area is several kilometers wide.  These are mostly fissures.  Where you see the lake is in the rift zone.IMG_2825.thumb.jpeg.b823e086fbbf35ff098e62c894579e16.jpeg

IMG_2822.thumb.jpeg.62393b5a9a12c0df4acb16ff75fa0b66.jpeg

IMG_2823.thumb.jpeg.e277f2ec2bce6d404e17d55e50ecfef9.jpeg

IMG_2824.thumb.jpeg.844c702a97299ede2b6cd84804fa2aba.jpeg

IMG_2829.thumb.jpeg.b0fd86f799b65a40d75884596d746226.jpeg

IMG_2832.thumb.jpeg.b4e896256a12f178d4053aa8340278e6.jpeg

IMG_2826.thumb.jpeg.f53de544210fdbe54aac525576a0ffcb.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Three weeks tomorrow I board the Westerdam for a week to Alaska. I'm so looking forward to it and I know it will be different and it may be hard but I'm a strong person.

My GF is on this cruise. I was watching prices but solo was crazy high. Wishing you a great (albeit different) cruise. 🙂 

• Like 19

We made it to NY, a 6 hr slog up I-95. The traffic really bogged down just as I started my turn!  But it’s all good. Tomorrow we’ll go to the cousins gathering remembering our 98 yr old cousin who passed in March. And I’ll see my sister and niece. I brought some heirlooms with me to pass along. Need to find paths forward for more stuff. 

@JazzyV your news is shocking, glad you are safe. 

Dixie, sorry the tests didn’t lead to answers. Hoping you can find some new paths to search. 

Annie, I’m sure you’re happy Bubbles has returned!  And the insurance sounds like a mess.  We had an old Jeep once that I “wouldn’t drive anywhere I couldn’t walk home from”. We got it insured as a farm vehicle which was cheap then but that was 20 yrs ago. 

Time to find supper. Grandkids are away camping so we have their house tonight but I’m not cooking. Barely functional but hoping for a good sleep tonight. 

Thanks for all the support. It was a scramble last night but with the added med I’m sure DH will be ok for now. Hoping the itching reaction isn’t bad… it’s always a balance. Glad we can!!  

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 22

I was only virtual for synagogue this morning, because I wasn't ready in time. This turned out to be a good thing, as my reactions would have gotten me into trouble.

The 'lectric went out right after I started the rice cooker. They say it will be back at 8:00.

FB_IMG_1691263123047.jpg.0ba13d6111d288d5f902ccc8f52c2668.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

How scary!  So glad you are safe and prayers for the unaccounted and the ones running 🙏 

So sad.  

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Yikes!  Stay safe, please.

4 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Got my lab reports back yesterday and today... things look pretty good but I will have to watch what I am eating now and in the future. See Dr. next week and I know he will scold. Have any  of you seen the Elderberries cartoon strip? One strip featured a group of retirement home residents singing "My doctor tells me how to stay alive....I'm 82 and he's 35". I think of singing that to my doctor. Ah the joys of growing old.

It’s still good news on your lab reports.  Let him scold IF it merits it.  Otherwise, we all have to cope at times.  Sometimes coping is more important than a scolding 😉 

4 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Off to see what is happening with Diane's cats. I think Jiffy has been adopted but no word on Duffy. Hope he is still in foster care if still available. I hate to think of him in cat receiving at the shelter... too crowded and too much noise for an old boy.

Susan

That is great if Jiffy has been adopted.  Hoping for Duffy 🤞 

7 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Celebration List Correction: StLouisCruiser's DH Dennis' birthday is 8/13, as is Copper10-8's anniversary. Sorry for the errors.

OMG - no need to apologize.  You do such a tremendous job on the list.  

We all appreciate it ♥️ 

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

A very happy birthday to your DM 🎂. How wonderful she is at that age and still going out 👍 

You are doing incredibly well.  So glad to hear that things are working paper wise for you.  Nice to hear the Care facility was reasonable.

You are very strong.  I admire you.  I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise.  Yes, it will be different and yes, it will be hard at times but having someone doing the cooking, etc is a nice break and you deserve it.  I hope you enjoy the cruise.  

33 minutes ago, dfish said:

Greetings, everyone!

It has been a great day in Reykjavik, but I am exhausted.  The highlight was the National Park and rift zone.  Most of what we think is the rift are actually fissures.  The rift zone tends to be a valley and in this area is several kilometers wide.  These are mostly fissures.  Where you see the lake is in the rift zone.

Absolutely fabulous pictures, Debbie  👍. thank you.

• Like 18

Yesterday was busy, busy, busy for me. When I returned home after finishing all my errands I saw that the large Agave Plant in front of my house had collapsed. Today I callled my Landscape Maintance man who came and removed it. Apparently numerous agaves in our mobile home park have collapsed due to the heat and many giant Saguaro cactus in the desert are collapsing. Today was quite a bit more comfortable with a high of only 107 and a light breeze blowing most of the day.

I nover had the opurtunity to read the daily yesterday so I will do so now. Prayers for all those in need.

Jane

• Like 14