Just got an email outlining the "NEW" offerings

canadarocks

3 hours ago, whitecap said:

So discouraged with Princess that I sent the below email to Mr. Padgett and to all the VP's on Aug 15th.  Note:  I did sign the email and provided my contact information.

Dear Mr. Padgett;

I am writing to express my concern regarding the latest changes that Disney, uh, Princess has made to the Plus and Premier Drink Packages including the higher cost and the removal of previously “no cost” items to the drink packages that are now at a cost.  As I have reviewed these changes along with the ever-diminishing loyalty amenities, I find myself describing the current situation as “Mickey Mouse” like and wondering if the person(s) who developed these changes and those that approved them are from another world, maybe Pluto?  

These changes, which by the way seem to have started when a former Disney executive joined Princess, have caused many conversations among the most loyal of Princess cruisers and almost to a tea cup they agree that the diminished loyalty amenities and current changes are just plain Goofy.  Things are so confusing that not even Buzz Light Year can keep up.  Donald and Daisy can’t Duck fast enough from all the disparaging comments.  When the Pixie dust settled, even Tinker Bell couldn’t calm the masses.  

Although I have written this with tongue in cheek, I still find myself asking:

Is the new goal of Princess to replace loyal cruises with first time/family cruisers?

Has Princess decided to no longer be the standout cruise line by simply just becoming more like Royal Caribbean?

Has the reduction of Elite in cabin amenities really reduced operational cost, significantly?

Did anyone consider that charging a fee for room service will reduce the “tips” received by room service staff or will room service staff get the $5.00 or a share of the $14.99?

Did anyone consider how adding a fee to a previously free food venue would be accepted by cruisers?

Did anyone consider grandfathering in those passengers who had already purchased drink packages as a show of loyalty?

Why weren’t ALL BOOKED PASSENGERS, regardless of whether or not they had purchased a drink package, informed of the changes, and here are the crucial words, before implementation?

Why is the email just sent out to booked passengers in conflict with the Princess website (FAQ’s) regarding the room service fee, $5.00 and the $14.99 OceanNow fee?  

Luckily for most, we are no Dumbos and we can, with the help of Aladdin’s lamp, see a Simba of things to come.  Princess must remain the standout cruise line, Elsa we may have to look elsewhere.

Sincerely,

A Very Loyal Princess Cruiser, disheartened and now sitting on the fence.

Are you planning on posting this to every thread ?  Seems like overkill

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

while I appreciate the sentiment, and agree with it, the executives are not reading emails or letters addressed to them.  They are going to some secretary or team of customer service reps who may or may not read them and may or may not respond.

I know for a fact that what you say is totally wrong....you can not  make blanket statements like that.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, memoak said:

Are you planning on posting this to every thread ?  Seems like overkill

I did post it on another thread but only as a thought.  After making a few minor tweeks, I sent it.  Does it bother you that it was posted to different threads?  Did it ruin your day?  Geeze Peeze!  Suggestion:  seen it, don't read it again.  Problem solved.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'll start by saying that there's nothing in this post that you haven't seen several times in the past 15 pages. Just me, throwing my thoughts out into the vast expanse known as the internet.

I got my email yesterday telling me about the additional charges. Our cruise is in December and we booked the standard package. We have cruised about two dozen times, in everything from balcony cabins to suites. This upcoming cruise is two balconies.

I'm totally okay with Princess wanting to make a profit. As others have noted, CCL is a publicly traded company and has a fiduciary duty to its shareholders.

What I'm not okay with is their telling me that they are adding charges for benefits that had been free when I booked the cruise. When I booked the cruise, room service was free and they gave me no indication that that was changing. I called yesterday and the answer was pretty much "too bad." Yup, Princess says that all terms are changeable. Nope, the $5 per call (or $15 one-time charge) is not going to bankrupt me. And yup, I still believe the cruise offers value, just less so than before.

The problem, though, is that I'm never going to be able to take them at face value in the future when they tell me what is offered. Had they said that cruises booked before the announcement would receive the old benefits, that would have been fine. But it shouldn't be my problem that two different sets of pricing would confuse staff onboard. I'm used to being nickeled and dimed, but have always been told about it when pricing the product.

Oh, one more thing. Princess reps, stick to your scripts. Really. I called yesterday about it and I always start the conversation with, "I know that you didn't make this change personally..." so it doesn't sound personal. And I'm sure your script told you to tell me, "Well, most of our customers have told us that they are okay with the change..." Bully for them. But when you go off-script, as the rep did with me yesterday, and say, "Well, most of our customers understand that travel changes. In fact, life changes," please, I don't need your philosophy on life. Either help me or don't.

Mike

• Like 11

34 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

I know for a fact that what you say is totally wrong....you can not  make blanket statements like that.

It's up to you to think what you want.  If you think executives are seeing every complaint that people email in, then fine.  I've worked in large corporations and know how customer complaints are handled.  The only time executives are involved is when there are laws being broken or a large customer is being impacted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, mef623 said:

I got my email yesterday telling me about the additional charges. Our cruise is in December

Agree with everything you have said 👍. I’m still awaiting my email and we sail in a couple of days! Looks like ‘Princess doesn’t change’  - my philosophy and totally ‘off script’ 🤣.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

It's up to you to think what you want.  If you think executives are seeing every complaint that people email in, then fine.  I've worked in large corporations and know how customer complaints are handled.  The only time executives are involved is when there are laws being broken or a large customer is being impacted.

It 's not what I think,  it's what I know....and I also said that making blanket statements is wrong.

I don't need to give you my experience because that would be unfair to the executive involved. 

I, too, know how complaints are handled in large corporations and in large governments.

Edited by chrysalis
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I was correcting the dollar amount you had indicated.  Many folks have received $10 credit after purchasing Plus on board using OBC.  It has not been clear from every post, but was from a couple.  They should not be giving each of the two guests $10 since there is one shipping fee involved (normally).  If each of the two guests buying Plus/Premier on board gets $10 credit, that is a bonus.

If memory serves me, we both got $10 credit after signing up for Plus onboard.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Someone shared a PDF with me showing the pricing.  $12 for a pizza.  I will try to attach it here, but if it does not work because it is a PDF, then I can guarantee you it reads $12

Alfredos-2.pdf 926.32 kB · 10 downloads

That was an initial draft menu and not the same as appeared on the ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kywildcatfanone said:

1 hour ago, chrysalis said:

It 's not what I think,  it's what I know....and I also said that making blanket statements is wrong.

I don't need to give you my experience because that would be unfair to the executive involved. 

I, too, know how complaints are handled in large corporations and in large governments.

I think you are both right because I don't think one of you is suggesting a C-level exec reads all incoming and I don't the other is suggesting they see none of them.

In the case of Princess, I can attest that they do see at least some correspondence because I wrote a number of executives (including Jan S.) not long after Medallion App was launched (Jun 7, 2021) and it was a serious and detailed email at the time.  I went so far as to suggest the CIO (JP at the time) ought to be fired (instead they promoted him).  Anyway, it was mostly about the App issues at the time and I did hear back from a Director level person and my email had been shared around the exec team.  I was not just venting - I had some recommendations as well,  But I was shocked at the shoddy work in some areas and it was certainly rushed into production at the time. 

Some things were attended to.  I have not done it again per se, but some of the latest shenanigans would warrant it IMO.

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I think you are both right because I don't think one of you is suggesting a C-level exec reads all incoming and I don't the other is suggesting they see none of them.

In the case of Princess, I can attest that they do see at least some correspondence because I wrote a number of executives (including Jan S.) not long after Medallion App was launched (Jun 7, 2021) and it was a serious and detailed email at the time.  I went so far as to suggest the CIO (JP at the time) ought to be fired (instead they promoted him).  Anyway, it was mostly about the App issues at the time and I did hear back from a Director level person and my email had been shared around the exec team.  I was not just venting - I had some recommendations as well,  But I was shocked at the shoddy work in some areas and it was certainly rushed into production at the time. 

Some things were attended to.  I have not done it again per se, but some of the latest shenanigans would warrant it IMO.

Oh my goodness! Come quick Mouseketeers, I believe we have discovered who got the Head Mouseketeer placed in the big chair.  🤣  Just kidding!!!!

• Haha 2

@Steelers36 I can see the Alfredo menu working on Royal Class ships.  Would you still be charged $14.99 for JUST pizza on the Grand Class ships that don't have the option for an expanded menu or will the new menu be across the fleet.  

Should have eaten on the Grand when I had the chance.  I really "did" like their pizza.

2 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

So if I fill up at every opportunity at the included at no-additional-charge buffet and thus become a "large" customer, does that mean they will pay attention to my E-mails then?

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@Steelers36 I can see the Alfredo menu working on Royal Class ships.  Would you still be charged $14.99 for JUST pizza on the Grand Class ships that don't have the option for an expanded menu or will the new menu be across the fleet.  

Should have eaten on the Grand when I had the chance.  I really "did" like their pizza.

No, remember the $15 is for prix fixe meals consisting of 1 App, 1 Main, and 1 Dessert.  All items are offered a la carte so a pizza is $8.50.  Although they don't have an expanded menu, PCL did come up with a single App (forget what it is) and a single Dessert (Tiramisu thing) in order to provide a "full meal" for the $15 prix fixe and to satisfy the new package feature.  There are more choices at Gigi's and at a "full" Alfredo's. 

There are indeed two different Alfredo menus.  On Royal Class there are more choices for all courses, including alternatives to pizza.

(It just irks me no end that they came up with a stupid $14.99 figure when other charges are even dollars.  Who are they fooling?).

• Thanks 1

Doesn't matter any more, but thank you for your response.  I won't be dining at Alfredos unless I have a plus package.  So there is where my IC tiramisu (for free) went.  

I will remain forever confused with these changes.  $14.99/$5.00/Old Plan/New Plan/Suite/Elite... what am I covered with .... So many questions.  So few answers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Doesn't matter any more, but thank you for your response.  I won't be dining at Alfredo's unless I have a Plus package.  So there is where my IC tiramisu (for free) went.  

I will remain forever confused with these changes.  $14.99/$5.00/Old Plan/New Plan/Suite/Elite... what am I covered with .... So many questions.  So few answers.

IDK if they might still have a Tiramisu offering at the IC.  Perhaps a different composition?  IDK.  I have no issues spending $8.50+ a couple of times for lunch.  We usually share a pizza and an app.  No dessert.

• Like 2

Well here’s an interesting turn of events. I have a short sailing coming up and it was a no- brainer to book premiere as I planned on eating at crown grill and sabatinis. Well, guess what? After having reservations for both I just checked the app and crown grill has disappeared and is no longer showing as available to book for any day. So, either this is more IT troubles or princess is selling a package that includes dining that’s not available?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2023 at 9:20 PM, ceilidh1 said:

For anyone looking to upgrade packages, these are the codes for Princess / TAs to do so (I'm sure not all agents will know these, so here they are):

image.png.94729213cf49e723c8c4b63a333f13ef.png

OMG... this is all you need to know about how clear this whole situation is 🤣

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 4:20 AM, ceilidh1 said:

For anyone looking to upgrade packages, these are the codes for Princess / TAs to do so (I'm sure not all agents will know these, so here they are):

image.png.94729213cf49e723c8c4b63a333f13ef.png

So Princess are charging the same $10pppd to upgrade whether you initially paid $40 or $50 for the Plus package? Shocked that they aren’t asking for $20pppd if you only paid $40. How is any of this fair?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, villauk said:

So Princess are charging the same $10pppd to upgrade whether you initially paid $40 or $50 for the Plus package? Shocked that they aren’t asking for $20pppd if you only paid $40. How is any of this fair?

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the correct procedure for an agent to upgrade a $40pd to the new plus is to do the upgrade twice - thus charging the $20. Thankfully, I have no clients booked at the $40 rate for the future, so won't need to deal with it. I did just upgrade someone from new plus to new premium using the codes and it was fast and easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Imagine the number of cruisers that have been sailing the Grand Princess for 25 years that are going to show up and either not notice or notice that Alfredo's is now a charge restaurant.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Steelers36

Tiramisu has not been in the IC since the restart.  It was actually better than the one in the MDR.  Smaller and enough to satisfy the palate.

@ceilidh1

I am hearing more and more passengers complain that they are unable to book the now included specialty dining (Crown Grill, Sabatini's, Kai sushi on the Diamond, etc).  

Win win for Princess.  Offer but can't fulfill.  Money in their pocket.  

I didn't see the new "cakes" in the IC on my most recent cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of complaints about the info being given.  Give Princess time.

When RCCL started to charge for room service in 2017 and X in 2022, they took the same approach and had problems themselves.  An arbitrary start date was chosen and amenities weren't grandfathered in for those that had booked in advance.  It took a while for the website to reflect the changes across the board.  I personally don't remember an e-mail being sent out to those that had booked cruises after the arbitrary date that was set.  It was a surprise onboard unless you followed a forum or blog.  There were hiccups on board where some orders were charged the RS fee and not.  All was sorted out eventually and not without headache from Guest Services.

My point is expect there to be hiccups when changes roll out. 

The cruise lines are taking a page from Bob Chapek's reign at Disney.  Charge more or begin to charge for amenities and fewer will come.  Fewer will come, but since the few that do come will be spending more, it makes up for the loss in actual people coming.

Lots of underwear in a bunch over things they have no control over.  It's a corporate decision based on the business needs and profitability.  Variety is the spice of life.  There are other cruise lines if Princess no longer suits your values/needs.  

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@Steelers36

Tiramisu has not been in the IC since the restart.  It was actually better than the one in the MDR.  Smaller and enough to satisfy the palate.

@ceilidh1

I am hearing more and more passengers complain that they are unable to book the now included specialty dining (Crown Grill, Sabatini's, Kai sushi on the Diamond, etc).  

Win win for Princess.  Offer but can't fulfill.  Money in their pocket.  

I didn't see the new "cakes" in the IC on my most recent cruise.

Just a thought for Princess to make more $$...maybe the specialty restaurant will give priority to people (std fare) who are paying to book since now that would be "extra" revenue!

• Like 2