Just got an email outlining the "NEW" offerings

canadarocks

2 hours ago, MamaFej said:

It would earn Princess a tremedous amount of Goodwill. In the long run, that may be worth thousands or tens of thousands of dollars more from returning passengers than the $10 or $20 a day in the short run, and alienating those passengers from returning. 

Not to mention how many people they'll discourage from sailing Princess in the future.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

My comment was made in jest. I just can’t believe all the outrage. Of course I don’t see all the cancellations and open cabins. So most people just want to vent and maybe yell at Princess employees 

Maybe they are generally upset and feel they have been treated poorly.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, whitecap said:

Maybe they are generally upset and feel they have been treated poorly.  

You mean the people posting screen shots from 3 years ago ?  They didn’t leave when plus went from $40 to $50 and then $60. I never saw a huge line to complain when individual drink prices went up. Is this really all about free pizza and room service ?  I have seen room service take up to an hour in the last few cruises

• Like 2

3 hours ago, memoak said:

You mean the people posting screen shots from 3 years ago ?  They didn’t leave when plus went from $40 to $50 and then $60. I never saw a huge line to complain when individual drink prices went up. Is this really all about free pizza and room service ?  I have seen room service take up to an hour in the last few cruises

No, it isn't about free pizza and room service.  Not for me anyway.  It's about Princess listing Alfredo's, OceanNow and room service as being included in my cruise fare when I booked the cruise.  Then, after final payment, me finding out on social media - because Princess haven't even had the courtesy to notify me - that those things will actually cost me extra.

It isn't what they've changed that matters to me, or the cost, it's how they have done it.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Not to mention how many people they'll discourage from sailing Princess in the future.

Unless part of the goal is to discourage some people from sailing Princess.

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

At this point, if PCL banned me for life from their ships, IDK if I would care. They're not so special or doing things so different (for the better) that it's worth the frustration and current direction the company is sailing to. The cruising market is increasingly a contested space.

A lot of things used to be good... until they weren't.

Edited by Mike07
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 7:27 AM, gah_cruise said:

so...at the moment I have a cruise booked for Sep 2034... I have a Plus package which provides 15 alco drinks per 24-hour period....if in 11 mths' time, after I have paid in full, Princess changes the Plus package to 10 alco drinks per 24 hrs...do you think I have the right to be aggrieved....over to you @ldtr

PCL could always hard cap the drink limit to 15/day including bottled water and specialty coffees. I think HAL did that post-pandemic. I'm not sure if they reverted the policy or encourage you to bump the package to the highest tier.

There have been many changes to beverage plans over the years. At one point there was no limit to a drink package. After sharing started the changes occurred. 15 limit to cocktails   I don’t recall a huge amount of complaining then. And yes there was no grandfathering

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, memoak said:

There have been many changes to beverage plans over the years. At one point there was no limit to a drink package. After sharing started the changes occurred. 15 limit to cocktails   I don’t recall a huge amount of complaining then. And yes there was no grandfathering

15/day is plenty, and I would estimate covers 95% of people with packages. Even if it doesn't, the alcohol princess serves is pretty cheap compared to what the cost of the drinks package. I guess it's to save people from being poured out grey goose triples and then just dumping it down the drain.

4 hours ago, memoak said:

My comment was made in jest. I just can’t believe all the outrage. Of course I don’t see all the cancellations and open cabins. So most people just want to vent and maybe yell at Princess employees 

Not heard anyone yelling, just expressing their displeasure at being treated like second-class citizens because they were not informed officially of these changes until they boarded, when Princess could have easily notified them.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, villauk said:

Not heard anyone yelling, just expressing their displeasure at being treated like second-class citizens because they were not informed officially of these changes until they boarded, when Princess could have easily notified them.

Welcome to the impact of social media. 

If they announce in advance, a decision that they do not consider to be a significant change and which is being implemented immediately.  The effects of social media will amplify the discord.  With people that may have not been upset by it getting upset because others are.  If they did announce in advance it is a done deal  so no real change than how it is handled on board.  As people that have complained to Princess has found out the answer back (the posted letter) is basically it is not a significant change and it is  a done deal. That they are sorry the person is upset but no further action will be taken. The same people will complain to CS.

When people find out on board many will  accept it.  Some will be upset but not complain, Some will go to CS and complain. Some will go to CS and complain as well as complain about the change to every person that they see.

As companies are finding out engaging  with people with complaints on social media is a losing proposition.  Much better to engage with them in private, one on one.  Such as in a discussion  with customer service when they complain on board.

Basically there was no upside to advance notification, unless they were more than 90 days out on their reservation and as such could make the decision to cancel. or unless the decision to implement was delayed more than 90 days.

Edited by ldtr

26 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Welcome to the impact of social media. 

If they announce in advance, a decision that they do not consider to be a significant change and which is being implemented immediately.  The effects of social media will amplify the discord.  With people that may have not been upset by it getting upset because others are.  If they did announce in advance it is a done deal  so no real change than how it is handled on board.  As people that have complained to Princess has found out the answer back (the posted letter) is basically it is not a significant change and it is  a done deal. That they are sorry the person is upset but no further action will be taken. The same people will complain to CS.

When people find out on board many will  accept it.  Some will be upset but not complain, Some will go to CS and complain. Some will go to CS and complain as well as complain about the change to every person that they see.

As companies are finding out engaging  with people with complaints on social media is a losing proposition.  Much better to engage with them in private, one on one.  Such as in a discussion  with customer service when they complain on board.

Basically there was no upside to advance notification, unless they were more than 90 days out on their reservation and as such could make the decision to cancel. or unless the decision to implement was delayed more than 90 days.

Common courtesy.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, villauk said:

Common courtesy.

When it comes to business communications from large corporation such as airlines, hotels, cruise lines etc.  common courtesy is very uncommon about to the same degree as common sense.

They will communicate if it benefits them, they will not if it does not benefit them.

4 hours ago, memoak said:

This all will die down soon.

Just like the coffee card outrage and the free (useless slow) internet minutes.

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, villauk said:

Guessing you've never owned a business dealing with the public.

No one waves a huge flag when things are decreased/deleted. They focus on the positive. 

On 8/17/2023 at 6:30 PM, SCX22 said:

YouTube.   There are so many vlogs about the cruising that are more informative than what a TA has to say.  Many are first hand experiences and show the actual ship and experience behind them.  The cruise lines endorse them since some are given free cruises to make video content.  You can't say it's biased information since the TAs make commission off of their bookings as well and some will sell the newbies stuff they don't need in order to boost their commission.

Thank you for saying that SOME of the TA's will sell newbies stuff they don't need; MOST of us have ethics and won't do that...

I care about the people that I sell to and want them to have the best possible time, on the line that best suits their needs, wants and desires. 🙂

• Like 3

I just boarded Emerald today in LA bound for NYC. And since I’ve been packing, traveling and working my way through a Hurricane and rumbling with a “little” earthquake I haven’t caught up from where I left off reading here. Sorry if this info isn’t pertinent to this conversation.  

Today is the roll out of the new rules on Emerald.  I was REALLY surprised to find a first day boarding guide advertising OceanNow as available on my ap and stateroom TV that will find me even if I move. And delivery is always free.  

I received no letter explaining the changes like I’ve seen others post. 

That’s bound to be cause for questioning or even complaint when it is clearly charging anyone without a package for that service. 

I feel bad for the crew if they are negatively impacted by this and have to deal with crabby people. 

I don’t have a package and I don’t care about paying $15 on this 19 day sailing to use Ocean now. On short 5-7 sailings I usually get a package bc the math works on those.  Not so much on longer sailings. 

It also says if I don’t have a device I can ask a crew member to do it for me. I have crew friends on board that I’m going to ask if they can do that for me. I haven’t activated ON net. They know I won’t get upset if they can’t but I do know they are experienced long term crew who will know if it is possible.  Sorry the new crew sometimes just don’t know what they don’t know if you know what I mean. Ok J out 

image.jpg

IMG_1149.png

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I just boarded Emerald today in LA bound for NYC. And since I’ve been packing, traveling and working my way through a Hurricane and rumbling with a “little” earthquake I haven’t caught up from where I left off reading here. Sorry if this info isn’t pertinent to this conversation.  

Today is the roll out of the new rules on Emerald.  I was REALLY surprised to find a first day boarding guide advertising OceanNow as available on my ap and stateroom TV that will find me even if I move. And delivery is always free.  

I received no letter explaining the changes like I’ve seen others post. 

That’s bound to be cause for questioning or even complaint when it is clearly charging anyone without a package for that service. 

I feel bad for the crew if they are negatively impacted by this and have to deal with crabby people. 

I don’t have a package and I don’t care about paying $15 on this 19 day sailing to use Ocean now. On short 5-7 sailings I usually get a package bc the math works on those.  Not so much on longer sailings. 

It also says if I don’t have a device I can ask a crew member to do it for me. I have crew friends on board that I’m going to ask if they can do that for me. I haven’t activated ON net. They know I won’t get upset if they can’t but I do know they are experienced long term crew who will know if it is possible.  Sorry the new crew sometimes just don’t know what they don’t know if you know what I mean. Ok J out 

image.jpg

IMG_1149.png

Is ordering on the TV back? LOL 

I don't have a smart phone...I am one of the last dinosaurs, but still enjoy my cruises. I find ways to make things work. I also pay for what I want to do. Like the Winemaker's dinner, Sabatini, etc.

Thanks for sharing your experiences while on board! Enjoy your cruise. @HaveDogWillTravel

8 hours ago, ldtr said:

Unless part of the goal is to discourage some people from sailing Princess.

Things that make you go hmmm.   Do you possibly think that the powers that be want to cut out some of the base fare only cruisers that don't spend a dime on board to make room for the families that will enjoy the new amenities on the top deck of the Sphere Class ships?

7 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Even if it doesn't, the alcohol princess serves is pretty cheap compared to what the cost of the drinks package.

After factoring out the 16.00 for gratuities, the remaining 44.00 a day for the drinks package is the cheapest amongst the main stream cruise lines.  And that includes Celebrity, HAL, Carnival, NCL, MSC and RCI.  Virgin and Disney do not have drink packages.  That covers all 9 US based main stream lines.  And I'm not even including wifi, if that is factored in, then the drinks package is even cheaper.

And if you're referring to the quality of the alcohol, Vodkas are Grey Goose and Absolute Elyx, Gins are Aviation and Tangueray 10, Rum is Pyrat XO, Scotch is Glenmorangie, Tequila is Patron Anejo, Bourbon is Blantons and Gentleman Jack.  Not a cheap one in the bunch and all covered under the Plus package.

Edited by CruizinSusan70
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Things that make you go hmmm.   Do you possibly think that the powers that be want to cut out some of the base fare only cruisers that don't spend a dime on board to make room for the families that will enjoy the new amenities on the top deck of the Sphere Class ships?

More to make their cabins available to those that spend more.

It has not been that long since they made the lowest category in each meta category guarantee non refundable.  Which is where one would expect budget focused folks to book.

Now these changes that hit mostly the basic fares passengers.

Seems line a bit of a trend.

7 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

I think that's part of the plan. To weed out some of the Standard Fare penny pinchers. 

The FOMO YOLO crowd is here. 

3 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Well they haven't weeded us out yet, only made me think of various ways to circumvent all their extra charge items and still enjoy our trips without having to spent extra thousands to cruise. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

After factoring out the 16.00 for gratuities, the remaining 44.00 a day for the drinks package is the cheapest amongst the main stream cruise lines.  And that includes Celebrity, HAL, Carnival, NCL, MSC and RCI.  Virgin and Disney do not have drink packages.  That covers all 9 US based main stream lines.  And I'm not even including wifi, if that is factored in, then the drinks package is even cheaper.

And if you're referring to the quality of the alcohol, Vodkas are Grey Goose and Absolute Elyx, Gins are Aviation and Tangueray 10, Rum is Pyrat XO, Scotch is Glenmorangie, Tequila is Patron Anejo, Bourbon is Blantons and Gentleman Jack.  Not a cheap one in the bunch and all covered under the Plus package.

Congratulations! You are right on. I have to agree with you 100%

Happy Cruising! 

• Thanks 1