Flying fish and the green flash at sunset!!

mcroadman

That makes sense, right?!
One of the joys of cruising can be seeing the amazing wildlife in different parts of the world. I have especially enjoyed spotting flying fish in cruises around the Caribbean. We will be cruising the end of October and just wondering if there’s a certain migration pattern for these flying fish.

And of course, along those lines,😄

have you seen the green flash at sunset while on the ship? I must admit I haven’t looked for it too many times, but saw it once, and was amazed. The optical illusion that occurs as the sun sets into the ocean and there is a half a second of a green flash.

Looking forward to the experience!

Mary 

My wife and I observed a green flash only one time.  However that was on land in California as we were watching the sun set over the Pacific.  We have seen a total solar eclipse from a cruise ship though (over 6 min long!).

Edited by mahdnc

I love seeing the flying fish, and the birds that try to catch them. I've usually seen the flying fish near Barbados, sometimes on sea day but always close to Barbados. Never seen them while in St Thomas, St Croix, St Lucia. Maybe its because I haven't been looking on the other islands because I know I'll see them later.

Only time we have seen the 'flash' was in Negril Jamaica, it was fantastic. One of the staff was running up and down the beach yelling, "get out your cameras, it's going to happen." Unfortunately we were on our way to dinner and our camera was in our room, just glad to have seen it.

As for flying fish, I believe we have seen them every cruise. BTW, we only cruise the Caribbean. We have been very fortunate over the years with all of the  wildlife we have seen on our trips.

• Thanks 1

Have seen the green flash once off the coast of Mexico. Always love looking for the flying fish in the deep Caribbean. Can usually find them in the southern Caribbean on the way to and from the ABC islands. Have rarely seen them farther north. 

I was watching a documentary about the creatures of the sea.   There is a sea bird that is so light it cannot land or dive into the water as it wouldn’t be able to take off.  The bird never lands when at sea and that may be for months.  Nature provided for it with the flying fish.   The flying fish are “flying” to escape a predator in the water and then unknowingly subjects itself to the birds above.  

an interesting link about them 

https://a-z-animals.com/blog/10-incredible-flying-fish-facts/

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

We've seen flying fish "surfing" off the ships hull before and recently saw a BUNCH of them in Curacao going to a snorkeling spot. They are amazing to watch!

Green flash.....just once. I think the atmospheric conditions have to be rights as I watch for it on every vacation. Being from the south, I've been fortunate to see the Aurora Borealis once in my life. Seeing them again is on my bucket list......through the ceiling of an igloo in Lapland!

• Like 2

Albatrosses are masters of soaring flight, able to glide over vast tracts of ocean without flapping their wings. So fully have they adapted to their oceanic existence that they spend the first six or more years of their long lives (which last upwards of 50 years) without ever touching land. 

now THAT'S amazing (to me at least)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

Albatrosses are masters of soaring flight, able to glide over vast tracts of ocean without flapping their wings. So fully have they adapted to their oceanic existence that they spend the first six or more years of their long lives (which last upwards of 50 years) without ever touching land. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a92af4c77eb3f854f025ccce44f0a9b5.jpeg

Albatross patrols the South Atlantic Ocean in between Argentina and the Falkland Islands, Jan 1 2017

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

I’ll stay on topic by saying that I’ve seen the green flash once, a few years ago after what seems a lifetime of looking.  So that was fun. And I’ve seen many flying fish.

But I agree with you that seeing an albatross soaring over the ocean is in a class by itself. I took this photo in the Drake Passage on the way to Antarctica aboard an expedition ship. Birds follow ships through the Drake; we were having a pretty rough crossing, and most folks were in their cabins. Fortunately, I don’t get seasick, so I was able to be out on deck for this, along with several very serious birders who generously shared their knowledge with me. We were all in awe. 

IMG_0506.jpeg.5d66c06151e80379b2d71767ac39b9bc.jpeg

(Wandering albatross, Drake Passage, Feb. 2013, photo by turtles06)

• Like 2

Wheni I worked on oil tankers the smaller ones had a 8-10 foot freeboard and flying fish used to land - in quantity - on the maindeck. Come dawn, I used to let the Indian lookout go down and collect them and he in turn gave them to the Indian cook. 

From landing on the deck to being cooked in the tandor, and served with a fresh chapati or three ... within two hours ...

Marvelous breakfast.

Had the green flash many times but we were in areas of minimal to zero light pollution.

• Like 1

Yes, some wonderful things never get old!

Green flash: ours was at Nassau, as we stood out on deck before departure.

Flying fish: love watching for them, most usually from Promenade Deck, somewhat forward. One time we lucked out and got a table right at the forward windows in the buffet, where we happened to see some flying fish jumping around the bow. We mentioned it to a newly-arrived Chinese assistant waiter, who became very excited, called all her peers over, and we were treated to several minutes of joy and delight as they all exclaimed about the sight.

We love having OV cabins on lower decks, and sitting at the window. We've seen a few flying fish from there, which is really neat, too.

Albatross: while crossing the Pacific on a cargo ship, we had an albatross soaring above the ship for several days.  "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" frequently came to mind.

Vulture: one sea day during a cruise, a vulture settled himself onto the edge of the funnel; he stayed for quite a long time.  I named him "Ruffles", as the air continually ruffled his feathers up all around him.

Cruising is so wonderful.

• Like 1