Standard or plus fares?

58Piano

Your thoughts on the extra price for plus fares,? All I need is crew apprection and just a soda package. How much are they as of April 2024? I dont need fitness class, alcohol package, specialty restaurants, wifi since I need my cell phone onboard

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 58Piano said:

Your thoughts on the extra price for plus fares,? All I need is crew apprection and just a soda package. How much are they as of April 2024? I dont need fitness class, alcohol package, specialty restaurants, wifi since I need my cell phone onboard

I don’t quite understand not needing Wi-Fi if you need your cell phone. However do the math at this time plus is $60 per person per day and first 2 in each cabin must take   You can pay tips per day and get a non alcohol package with a standard fare and probably save money.  Anyone who drinks a little alcohol every day can usually save with the plus package. However with the standard fare if you use room service or order through the app you will have to pay for those services

2 hours ago, 58Piano said:

What I meant to say was I never need to use a cell phone onboard. So I do not need wifi

So you're pricing out:

Gratuities. 16

Coffee / tea 5

minimum.  21 per day vs 60 per day on Plus? Just doing the math ..... 

2 hours ago, memoak said:

I don’t quite understand not needing Wi-Fi if you need your cell phone. However do the math at this time plus is $60 per person per day and first 2 in each cabin must take   You can pay tips per day and get a non alcohol package with a standard fare and probably save money.  Anyone who drinks a little alcohol every day can usually save with the plus package. However with the standard fare if you use room service or order through the app you will have to pay for those services

I drink a little, generally a bottle a week which I take onboard with me. 

The beauty 9f Standard vs Plus vs Premier is that we can all do the math based on our individual consumption levels ..... 

• Like 1

Just now, deltahog said:

I have been told multiple times by multiple posters that coffee & tea are free.  No?

Not free at International Cafe and Princess Live Cafe. But yeah, free elsewhere

3 hours ago, 58Piano said:

All I need is crew apprection and just a soda package.

Crew appreciation 16-18

Classic Soda Pkg   17.69

so daily cost = $33.69-35.69

If thinking of upgrading to:

Screenshot_20230831-141006_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e78d997654f6e3fa59164b2604d574df.jpg

then at mid 50s you might as well buy Plus  as you'd still need to activate Ocean Now for $15

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

We get standard. We're elite so we get half off wifi & only use 1 device. Our free mini bar set up takes care of our alcohol needs since we seldom drink. I like the free coffee in the buffet just fine. I did the math & for us $60 per day per person for plus or $80 per day per person for premier is not cost effective. I know for many the packages do make sense. I think you need to do the math to be sure one way or the other. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 1965 said:

We get standard. We're elite so we get half off wifi & only use 1 device. Our free mini bar set up takes care of our alcohol needs since we seldom drink. I like the free coffee in the buffet just fine. I did the math & for us $60 per day per person for plus or $80 per day per person for premier is not cost effective. I know for many the packages do make sense. I think you need to do the math to be sure one way or the other. 

Ok we got princess plus on our very recent cruise.  Nice not being concerned with charges for drinks, specialty coffees, crew appreciation and Wi-Fi.  We have a cruise in 2024 where they have given the two of us 900. In obc and we get another 250. For stock.  So we will take std package.  We only have a glass of wine a day at the most.  I was interested in knowing on std package can we remove still the crew appreciation amount?

we use to tip the waiter and the assistant as well as the cabin steward.  Others only if we felt they would go above and beyond.  I hear rumors that the crew appreciation is given out fleet wide, not to just the ship I am on.  Anyone know if this is true or not?

13 minutes ago, Knickearth said:

Ok we got princess plus on our very recent cruise.  Nice not being concerned with charges for drinks, specialty coffees, crew appreciation and Wi-Fi.  We have a cruise in 2024 where they have given the two of us 900. In obc and we get another 250. For stock.  So we will take std package.  We only have a glass of wine a day at the most.  I was interested in knowing on std package can we remove still the crew appreciation amount?

we use to tip the waiter and the assistant as well as the cabin steward.  Others only if we felt they would go above and beyond.  I hear rumors that the crew appreciation is given out fleet wide, not to just the ship I am on.  Anyone know if this is true or not?

Anyone removing the crew tips is shorting all the people that make your trip great that you hardly see. All the people who stock the buffet or work the outdoors venues that you get food from so you carry a bunch of money around the ship and give out tips when you move about 

• Like 5

Once you are booked you can make a payment for 'crew appreciation'.  We have no need for a coffee card...I am elite and swap my minibar for the coffee package(no charge).  50% off of wifi, even for two packages, still does not approach the $400+pp charge for the Plus package.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, thinfool said:

Once you are booked you can make a payment for 'crew appreciation'.  We have no need for a coffee card...I am elite and swap my minibar for the coffee package(no charge).  50% off of wifi, even for two packages, still does not approach the $400+pp charge for the Plus package.

I guess it has been awhile since you have cruised.  They no longer have a coffee package so you can no longer swap the minibar for the coffee package. 

5 hours ago, Knickearth said:

I was interested in knowing on std package can we remove still the crew appreciation amount?

The non-judgemental answer to your question is: Yes, with the standard package you have the ability to remover the daily gratuity or Crew Appreciation. (I always have trouble remembering the new name...)

45 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The non-judgmental answer to your question is: Yes, with the standard package you have the ability to remover the daily gratuity or Crew Appreciation. (I always have trouble remembering the new name...)

And the judgmental answer is: 

image.jpeg.582be053cc44747106b94c8011b407c8.jpeg

• Haha 1

we bought plus in aug 22 - $30. what a great deal. not worth $60 unless you drink a lot

the plus package worked perfectly if you stay within items covered. you can get unlimited san peligrino water small bottle but big bottle costs $4

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 5:27 PM, 1965 said:

Same here.  I've put the pencil to it several times for an upcoming cruise since SWMBO is cruising with me and is a teetotaler.  I have a wee dram or two in the evenings and that's it for alcohol consumption.  We get Elite wifi discount, so we only get it for one device.

I guess if one books a booze cruise it might pay to get Plus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

Same here.  I've put the pencil to it several times for an upcoming cruise since SWMBO is cruising with me and is a teetotaler.  I have a wee dram or two in the evenings and that's it for alcohol consumption.  We get Elite wifi discount, so we only get it for one device.

I guess if one books a booze cruise it might pay to get Plus.

Every cruise we take involves 8-12 drinks per day for each of us Plus is the way we go

13 hours ago, memoak said:

Every cruise we take involves 8-12 drinks per day for each of us Plus is the way we go

If I consumed that much alcohol, the Betty Ford van would have to pick me up at the end of the cruise.😁

I have coffee in the morning while I watch the sunrise and drink mostly water the rest of the day until it's happy hour when I have the evening wee dram.  SWMBO drinks coffee in the morning, water and tea the rest of the day and has a glass of juice or iced tea in the evening.  I

I'm glad that the Plus works for you and everyone needs to put the pencil to it and not just blindly sign up for it. 

For an upcoming world cruise, the upgrade to Plus is $6660 per person.  That would cover the fare for another cruise.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, tonyfall1 said:

I thought this video does a good job of explaining the math. 

Not bad at all.  Although, they ought to have mentioned variations in Internet such as 50% discount for Platinum & Elite guests and the fact that some folks would share one plan.  They were smart to mention sea days versus port days.

• Like 1