The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 2nd, 2023

richwmn

VJ Day

Today is World Beard Day, National Tailgating Day, and International Bacon Day

All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Meal Suggestion for today - Greek Souvlaki Lamb Skewers
Drink of the Day - Honey Apple Cucumber
Wine of the Day - 2019 Catena Cabernet Franc
Destination of the Day - Icoaraci (Belem), Brazil

Today in History:
1666 Great Fire of London begins at 2am in Pudding Lane, 80% of London is destroyed
1945 V-J Day, formal Surrender of Japan aboard USS Missouri marks the end of World War II (Japanese date, 1st September in US)

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 0700-1500

Koningsdam

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1600

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 09-03

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Stavanger, Norway eta 09-03

Noordam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada eta 09-03

Oosterdam

Trieste, Italy 0700-2100

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Invergordon, GB eta 09/04

Volendam

Skagway, Alaska 0700-2000

Westerdam

Victoria, British Columbia 2000-2359

Zaandam

Quebec City, Quebec 0700-1700

Zuiderdam

Quebec City, Quebec embark[+1]d1400

0902World.thumb.png.23482afa0e412e85d41a93d9d6dd0206.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 17

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on vent, unstable

Sharon in AZ’s Aunt Betty passing on 8/30

Live4Cruises’ DH Nicholas with a fall, broken ribs and head laceration

Catmando with cancer recurrence, and new medical issues

Cruzin Terri’s cousin post stent, not doing well

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina

Canadian/US wildfires; those in the path of Franklin or Idalia 

Shooting victim(s) 

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Lobsternight’s great nephew with bike crash, multiple fractures, surgery

Smitty34877’s DH Lou recovering at home, poor appetite

Crusing-along’s niece Jeannine with MS recurrence

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Anniversary Quartzsite Cruiser (Lenda)!

Happy Birthday RMLincoln (Maureen)!

Aliaschief and DW driving to Oregon to spend 2 weeks with family

Mr. Boston in Europe prior to cruising

Crazy for Cats’ upgrade to a Neptune suite

StLouisCruisers (Sandi) and Dennis becoming HAL 5-star Mariners

Mamaofami’s DH Sam home from rehab

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Crazy for Cats (Zaandam Sept 3 to Sept 13)

1 day for Luvteaching (Westerdam Sept 3 to Sept 10)

2 days for RMLincoln (Norwegian Joy Sept 4 to Sept 20, B2B)

Lobsternight (Celebrity Eclipse to Sept 3), celebrating 60th birthday, Oceansaway17 (Grand Princess to Sept 8 ) and HAL4NOW (Zaandam to Sept 13, B2B)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 19

Thank you for today's daily reports.

VJ day was very important.

We had bacon buns overlooking the North sea earlier.

I last had a beard when I was 18 years old.

Good quote.

Nice food.

I hope everyone is safe and well and looking forward to a nice weekend.

IMG_20230902_111156.jpg

IMG_20230902_112149.jpg

• Like 28

3 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s Care list:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on vent, unstable

Sharon in AZ’s Aunt Betty passing on 8/30

Live4Cruises’ DH Nicholas with a fall, broken ribs and head laceration

Catmando with cancer recurrence, and new medical issues

Cruzin Terri’s cousin post stent, not doing well

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Wildfires in Maui/Lahaina

Canadian/US wildfires; those in the path of Franklin or Idalia 

Shooting victim(s) 

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Lobsternight’s great nephew with bike crash, multiple fractures, surgery

Smitty34877’s DH Lou recovering at home, poor appetite

Crusing-along’s niece Jeannine with MS recurrence

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Anniversary Quartzsite Cruiser (Lenda)!

Happy Birthday RMLincoln (Maureen)!

Aliaschief and DW driving to Oregon to spend 2 weeks with family

Mr. Boston in Europe prior to cruising

Crazy for Cats’ upgrade to a Neptune suite

StLouisCruisers (Sandi) and Dennis becoming HAL 5-star Mariners

Mamaofami’s DH Sam home from rehab

DeeniEncinitas safe on Maui

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Crazy for Cats (Zaandam Sept 3 to Sept 13)

1 day for Luvteaching (Westerdam Sept 3 to Sept 10)

2 days for RMLincoln (Norwegian Joy Sept 4 to Sept 20, B2B)

Lobsternight (Celebrity Eclipse to Sept 3), celebrating 60th birthday, Oceansaway17 (Grand Princess to Sept 8 ) and HAL4NOW (Zaandam to Sept 13, B2B)

Thank you for a very informative list Vanessa.

• Like 17

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann for the Saturday report.  Happy Birthday @RMLincoln and Happy Anniversary @Quartzsite Cruiser.  Rest in Peace Dodi al Fayed and Jimmy Buffet.

I'm not really into tailgating and don't have a beard.  I love bacon but eat it sparingly. 

This was a very joyous day in 1945 but very sad in 1666. 

I love the Emerson quote.  Been to Belem just once, Maasdam in 2015.

Speaking of Maasdam, she just returned to service today, sailing as Celestial Journey out of Piraeus.

A chilly start to this morning but a very hot week on the way.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Spelling
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  Today it is 66F and will be mostly cloudy with a high of 82.  Temps will rise back into the 90's next week.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for our Daily and Fleet Report today.  Great group of days today.  VJ Day was a huge event in the final ending of WWII.  World Beard Day is built for you Rich.  A great time to begin tailgating at our fall football games.  And anytime is a great time to celebrate bacon.  By the way I found a great source for days to celebrate recently - Thereisadayforthat.com in case you're interested.  📅

Skewers and kebabs seem popular lately and today is another one.  I'm not sure I'd like the cocktail or wine.  Thanks go to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for any information on the food and beverages.  The London fire was a devastating event.  I can imagine the celebrations when VJ Day arrived!

Prayers were said as I walked the treadmill this morning.  First was DB with his pulmonary fibrosis and my friend's DB stricken with bile duct cancer.  Then our Care list friends including Baby Murphy, Terry @smitty34877's DH Lou and friend Tana, Chuck @catmando with his recent diagnosis and former health problems not to mention Annie @marshhawk's health problems and Nicholas @Live4cruises's DH accident.  Prayers for those lost in the Maui fire and their loved ones.  Huge thanks to Denise @DeeniEncinitas for all she does to help out her fellow island residents.  🙏  Congrats to all celebrating including Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and Steve celebrating their wedding anniversary. 🎉 Also happy birthday to Maureen @RMLincoln!  🎂  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your great lists each day.

The destination of the day is Icoaraci (for Belem), Brazil.  We finally cruised to Icoaraci last December.  It was listed here as our port on July 1, 2021 and Sept. 5, 2022.  Here are the links for your photo retrieval.  I'll grab some photos of our very brief stop in Icoaraci on Dec. 7 and post them in a follow up post.  

We never got to the grocery yesterday but I guess there's no rush.  Spoke with DS and found out there is a 4 day weekend at Ren's school in Texas so Ren and DDIL flew home to Michigan for the weekend.  He misses his old friends and will keep busy with the high school football game last night, the U. of Michigan football game today and a friend's soccer game.  Dinners out with friends and just family time.  I remember when we moved our daughter away from her friends to begin her senior year of high school in a new state.  She needed quick weekend visits back to see her friends, too, for her own mental health.😪  Hope you all have a wonderful holiday weekend!  Drive safely and stay well.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
change date
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily reports.

VJ day was very important.

We had bacon buns overlooking the North sea earlier.

I last had a beard when I was 18 years old.

Good quote.

Nice food.

I hope everyone is safe and well and looking forward to a nice weekend.

IMG_20230902_111156.jpg

IMG_20230902_112149.jpg

Ok Graham, you are living dangerously. Putting that bacon on a bun next to your front window may attract sea gulls smashing into your car window!

• Like 6
  • Haha 21

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

Today is bacon day. Like Graham also just had bacon on a bun!

As far as Beard Day I wonder if I can celebrate this day. I do have a beard.

IMG_1242.thumb.png.f8ca483b35e283105c6c6b2497e48968.png

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 8
  • Haha 18

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich.

And many thanks to Dixie, Anne, Vanessa & Debbie.

Interesting collection of days and two very important dates in history.  I’ll celebrate bacon day with Canadian bacon - not the other kind 😉 

Absolutely love that quote by Emerson.

IMG_1008.jpeg.d992ead74eeef4a3aa3566d548393f78.jpeg

Today’s drink sounds delish @summer slope and yum on today’s meal suggestion. 👍  Looks like a nice day and a hot first week of September 👍 It’s far too cool in the mornings though.  Hopefully my tomatoes will ripen 🤞 I need to do some work outside and start dismantling.  I’ll see what the elbow will allow 😉. @Crazy For Cats think Mona will be like this?

IMG_0985.jpeg.655fddce5da24d00895aa43296e74e6f.jpeg

Yesterday was a great experiment.  Between my hair appointment and the therapeutic massage (it’s not a relaxing one 😉) I was gone for 4 hours - the longest I have ever left Ivan.  He was a VERY good boy 🙂 Needless to say, there were some extra treats and attention given.

IMG_0867.thumb.jpeg.e9ded19030328ca24d296ba8c677e21d.jpeg

My therapist knew what was wrong with my elbow and treatment began.  It’s a bit black and blue but it’s necessary.  another appointment next week and exercises in between.   It will probably take a bit to get the success we need.  I am impressed with her though.  I understood a lot of what she said without her putting it into layman’s terms thanks to DD DH and I knew enough from his dictations I typed and discussions to know what she was suggesting was good.  Very pleased and hopeful.

IMG_0900.jpeg.f6076c38330b2b3354af8446ba3bac66.jpeg

Prayers to those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health issues, worries & those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

IMG_0999.jpeg.59ecac9d6d5d044e2bd513f92ed13f8c.jpeg

Have a good Saturday, all.

• Like 30
  • Haha 9

As I mentioned above we finally took our Amazon River cruise on Volendam late last year.  We had to tender in to port and could see the big city of Belem off in the distance.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

But this is what Icoaraci looked like - much smaller.

Getting off the tender at the small dock area this was the view of all the local activity.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ6k7hJZw1AOkk9shFnh7L9qCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1677531936

Stepping off the dock and onto the street running parallel to the shoreline, we saw things like this.  A group of police officers to the right of us.

And more off to the left of us.

After a short discussion about taking the 45 minute bus ride to Belem, or touring Icoaraci, we decided to turn around and head back to the tender.  

While waiting for the tender we saw the local people going about their business of moving their shopping onto a boat for a ride home.

So that is my short visit to Icoaraci.  I'm not sad I didn't see more of it.  I hope those who toughed out a hot ride to Belem enjoyed their stay there and will post a few photos of the BIG city.  The view of Icoaraci as the ship left that afternoon.  There was a drone buzzing around us while we sailed away and I wondered who was viewing us up close.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! A cloudy start to the weekend, but I expect it to burn off. Lots to do today, I am hosting dinner tonight. Scallops, roasted veggies salad. Friends are bringing appetizers and dessert. And wine, of course. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Hitting the gym early, then back to clean & prep for this evening. Hoping we get some pool time in. 

IMG_1701.jpeg.8350af038286c2b3b905b9a271ce64c2.jpeg

IMG_1691.jpeg.7b53887e76ac96d7349ead28d060f3a8.jpeg

IMG_1666.jpeg.debd4a2845012b4c2644716a17520924.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Get well & stay well everyone!

2019 Catena Cabernet Franc

This Cabernet Franc from Argentina has a huge consumer fan base - 4+ stars out of 5 & I even found a couple of critics who give it 92 - 93. Available from a decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $18.94.

Winemaker Notes

This Cabernet Franc is sourced from the family´s historic vineyards in San Carlos. Here, the sandy-loam soils and mountainous climate yield a wine with concentrated ripe red berries, a touch of eucalyptus and black pepper, robust tannins and smooth lengthy finish.

RP93 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate
The incredible 2019 Appellation San Carlos Cabernet Franc is super elegant, fresh, varietal, nuanced and complex. A wine like this often costs more money than the price point of the appellation range, but it feels like a bargain anyway. This is an updated version of the 2018, with precision and symmetry. It's vibrant and lively, velvety and focused.
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 8

@Quartzsite Cruiser Happy Anniversary Lenda! 🍾

@RMLincoln Happy birthday Maureen! 🎂🍾

Thanks for the Daily reports!  John has a beard and we are celebrating Bacon day with BLTs for dinner. We will celebrate tailgating today by watching college football.  Great quote by Emerson.  Pass on the lamb and the cocktail but I love Catena but have never have had their Cabernet Franc.   We have been to today's port this year.  

Thanks for keeping us updated on all the events and celebrations @JazzyV.  Prayers for baby Murphy, @marshhawkfor your DHs health and for your health.  Prayers for everyone needing them, citizens of Maui, the people of Ukraine and for those who had their homes and businesses destroyed by Idalia.  

We are staining today.  By the time I had all my dinner prep done for our family dinner last night it was 11 and sun was beginning to hit the west side of the cabin.  John and I are going to take it on today.  I did get more plants cut back with my hedge trimmer.  They will be easier to rake later when they dry some.  And dry they will with the high 80s and high 90s for the next three days.  We will start early as I think the heat will drive us indoors to sit with fans running.  Our family dinner was fun.  John's walleye tacos  (grocery store kind) were excellent, he made homemade tartar sauce with fresh dill and I pickled red onions and that all went together well. We had fun and laughed a lot.  

I will try to locate my photos of Belem and will try to figure out some different ones from what I posted in February. 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Packing day!  I ran out of energy yesterday but am ready to pack today. I think everything is ready. And looking in luggage yesterday I found a stash of cash!  Mostly 5s and 1s but it’s always a fun to find!   Laundry is done, lost a sock!  I’m sure it will show up someday stuck to something. 

I like lamb, and Jim Beam occasionally but I think not with cucumbers and cinnamon? Ewww.  V-J day is a somber reminder of staggering loss. We had a very meaningful visit to the Missouri on our way from ship ti airport to close out our longest trip ever- 16 weeks: 3 week  cruise to Sydney (when we met @erewhon, 6 weeks in Australia; cruised to NZ, 4 weeks; flight to Tahiti for a week there; 3weeks cruising the Society Island ending in Hawaii, then flights back to NM.  Amazing trip in 2013, not sure we could do it now, glad we did it then!  

Happy Anniversary 🎂 @Quartzsite Cruiser and DH. Anniversaries are an accomplishment and there are never enough of them. Enjoy a grand day reflecting and dreaming together!  

I am blessed to celebrate another birthday!  And my first with my Daily family!  It’s a privilege and an honor.  There were years that I really didn’t think I’d live this long, and I never ever dreamed I’d get to do the traveling I’ve done. And more to come, very soon, like starting out tomorrow to NY then boarding NCL Joy on Monday to some places I’ve never been. 🌎  I’ve very grateful. 

My niece will be back here this afternoon on her journey home to NC and we’ll all go out tonight to a dinner theater in Columbia MD about a half hour away. So our bags must be ready!  Off to a big day!  

Thank you Vanessa for starting me out with happy wishes, and Graham and Roy. I’ll lose track quickly but they are each such a blessing. Thank you.  Last night at bedtime I received good wishes from friends in Australia, we met through cruising, on a TA on Ruby Princess in 2010. We have visited with them at our NM home and in their homes. Traveling makes the world so much friendlier!  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope.  May a new day bring a new path. 

Cheers to all celebrating 🍾🎂
Smooth travels to all away, happy visits @aliaschief and Sue. 
Maureen 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I woke up at 2 am only to see that our 7 am flight to Montreal was cancelled due to staffing issues.  After a couple of calls we are rebooked through Halifax and will hopefully arrive around 9 pm, instead of 9 am.  I’m very nervous about this change and though Halifax is nice I don’t want to get stuck there.  I think this makes a mess of our HAL transfers.  I’ll try and call them later.

We went out for a large breakfast so I shouldn’t get hungry until we get to Halifax. I’m going to try and take a short nap.

@kazu not only Mona, Ashlee would join in.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

We began our day with a beautiful sunrise on February 27, 2023 on our Grand South America on the Volendam. My pictures somehow loaded out of order.  The water view is Icoaraci.   The other water view was a fish market in Belem.  We took a HA tour to a basilica, a botanical garden next door, then a market then walked to a nearby cathedral. By the time we reached it it had begun to storm so we didn't want to tour the inside.  Other than too much time in the market determined by our guide we would recommend this tour because we saw so much in the city and the "suburban" areas in between.   We topped it off with a dinner at a Rudi's pop up that was the best we had ever had.  To top it off our waiter Agus presented the slip and let us know we got our 4* Mariner discount, that made the dinner even better.  Apologies for the weird photo load.  Have a nice Saturday.

image.jpg

IMG_20230227_115621756.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

FB_IMG_1677599385908.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230227_125717009.jpg

IMG_20230227_061519095_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230227_122717562.jpg