Opinion Needed- Formal Night Dress

katcruiser68

Hello,

We’re cruising after a long break. I’ve lost a significant amount of weight and no longer have any formal wear. I do have a dress I wore to my son’s wedding this spring, a medieval theme wedding, I found a dress that wasn’t as medieval as some are. Please let me know if this is a yeah or nay for formal night; minus the underskirt, fancy hairdo, and makeup. 

Thank you,

Kat

IMG_1307.jpeg

Sorry Tbh it's a nay from me. It looks very theme party dress. Not sure if you could have it altered in some way??? 

Gowns can be found at local charity (thrift in US?) for relatively little money or on e-bay so think I'd start fresh. Jmho. 🙂

• Like 2

Depending on the cruise line you’ll be likely the only one in a gown. It’s a beautiful color for you. That dress almost requires the updo & makeup 

Edited by awhfy

I disagree that you would be the only one in a gown!  I don't know your cruise line or ship (please tell us), but I think it's kind of cool., and I do see some women in gowns on every cruise.  What would your husband wear?  Is that him in green tunic(?)  That would be the nay from me; then it is costumey.  But as a gown, I kind of like it.  Put hub in a traditional suit or tuxedo, and I'm sure you, as an item, will look great.

We’ll be Princess 12 day Galveston to Ft Lauderdale in late March. I’m always cold so the long sleeves are a very good thing for me. Husband will be in either a tux or dark suit, up to him on what he feels like packing. I already nixed him wearing his medieval tunic and pants with the leg and arm wraps…no way is that not a costume. 

Personally, I wouldn’t bring it, it would take up a lot of room in a suitcase with the hoop & petticoat. At least on Princess  you’ll have access to an ironing room. 

my earlier comment about being the only one in a gown should’ve said one of the only in a truly formal gown. Very few tuxes also

• Like 1

It's a beautiful dress and you shine in that colour. Whether you wear it or not really depends on your personality. You will stand out to a certain extent - not in a bad way but you will definitely be more glamorous than almost everyone. Some people are very comfortable showing their true style, while others prefer to fit in. 

An option if you want to wear that dress and don't have plans for future Renaissance festivals is to have it shortened to knee length. 

Edited by mrgabriel

Several random thoughts: 

- Agree that this comes off as a costume rather than a gown.  Perfect for a themed wedding, but it will stand out on a cruise.  As someone above asked, are you the person who wants to stand out or the person who wants to blend in?  If someone asks you to take your picture, will you feel comfortable?  

- I'd be a little concerned about the practicality of this dress.  Moving that big skirt between small spaces in the MDR (in and out of the elevator, through the small doors) would be difficult, and I personally would be hot with the long sleeves.  

- This dress requires "the whole get up" -- the hair, the make up -- and your spouse needs to dress to match; I'd love to see him in a kilt to match.  Point being, You simply can't half-way this outfit.  

- It's something you could only wear once on the cruise.  It's stand-out memorable.  You'd be give up a lot of suitcase space for one outfit.  

- Agree that you OWN this color.  If you change to another outfit, you should try to find something in this tone.  

My conclusion:  I personally would look for something else.  Most of my clothing comes from consignment stores or ebay; none of the dresses in my current line-up cost more than $20-25.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Several random thoughts: 

- Agree that this comes off as a costume rather than a gown.  Perfect for a themed wedding, but it will stand out on a cruise.  As someone above asked, are you the person who wants to stand out or the person who wants to blend in?  If someone asks you to take your picture, will you feel comfortable?  

- I'd be a little concerned about the practicality of this dress.  Moving that big skirt between small spaces in the MDR (in and out of the elevator, through the small doors) would be difficult, and I personally would be hot with the long sleeves.  

- This dress requires "the whole get up" -- the hair, the make up -- and your spouse needs to dress to match; I'd love to see him in a kilt to match.  Point being, You simply can't half-way this outfit.  

- It's something you could only wear once on the cruise.  It's stand-out memorable.  You'd be give up a lot of suitcase space for one outfit.  

- Agree that you OWN this color.  If you change to another outfit, you should try to find something in this tone.  

My conclusion:  I personally would look for something else.  Most of my clothing comes from consignment stores or ebay; none of the dresses in my current line-up cost more than $20-25.  

This is exactly what I was trying to convey but you stated it so very much better than I did

As one who finds OP's dress lovely and not over-the-top or costumey, my brain has now led me to think about some of the long dresses I've seen on our "plain old Baltimore RC" cruises over the past couple of years.

Quinientos (15th Birthday) Latina girl in full princess regalia, including tiara. Mother and aunts very nicely dressed.

Long form-fitting dress entirely covered in silver sequins. One long sleeve, one bare arm.

Several Grecian Goddess dresses in various colors. Soft jersey, draped here and there. One shoulder or two, very flattering and easy to wear.

Youngest women in spaghetti-strap dresses, straight or fuller skirt, no underwear lines!

More mature women frequently in black.  Long velvet sheath with black feathers all the way around the top of the bodice. Others in various styles.

Stunning jersey dresses in bold combinations of black and white - asymetrical/sharp angles/etc.

OP, will your son think it's cool that you wear the dress on a cruise?

And now, back to thoughts about The Dress.

I appreciate everyone’s comments. To answer a few questions. 
I’m not a shy person at all, I tend to make friends in line at any venue so having people approach me to ask me about the dress isn’t an issue nor asking for a picture. Flattery is a compliment (I’ll only take it as flattery and not entertain any other thoughts). 

The hoop and crinoline will stay home, therefore the skirt will not puff out at all. This packs easily in a garment bag. The side ties actually raise and lower the length. I wouldn’t want to navigate a ship with a skirt that wide, 😱

I can style my hair although not in the braids as it is in this picture and I’ll wear makeup. I just tend to wear less. 

The challenge I’m having is I want a form fitting dress, at least on top…hey I lost a lot of weight I finally get to do this. I already own this dress. The other dresses I own that I could wear are more of Sunday best. They are ok but no fun. I really don’t want to buy another one. So, wear this one night and one of the others the other formal night. 

I’ll also check out local stores to see what I can find before the cruise.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, katcruiser68 said:

I’m not a shy person at all, I tend to make friends in line at any venue so having people approach me to ask me about the dress isn’t an issue nor asking for a picture. Flattery is a compliment (I’ll only take it as flattery and not entertain any other thoughts). 

The hoop and crinoline will stay home, therefore the skirt will not puff out at all. This packs easily in a garment bag. The side ties actually raise and lower the length. I wouldn’t want to navigate a ship with a skirt that wide, 😱

I can style my hair although not in the braids as it is in this picture and I’ll wear makeup. I just tend to wear less. 

The challenge I’m having is I want a form fitting dress, at least on top…hey I lost a lot of weight I finally get to do this. I already own this dress. The other dresses I own that I could wear are more of Sunday best. They are ok but no fun. I really don’t want to buy another one. So, wear this one night and one of the others the other formal night. 

Check consignment shops. You can find some fabulous deals on a list or new formal wear 

kat, you really clinched it for me when you wrote "they are okay but no fun".  That is exactly how I feel when we cruise.  It's special, it's Date Night Deluxe.  I'm sure you should wear more than just okay.

And yes, if you want to add a second more than okay outfit, I find thrift stores great sources for some very special items, sometimes originally $$$ and worn once.  Happy hunting!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, katcruiser68 said:

Given all of this additional detail, I'm in the "take it, wear it, and rock it" camp.  

• Like 4

Without the crinoline, and adding a belt that matches the red/gold in your collar, this dress is perfect! The belt will show off your weight loss and an undo hairstyle with a beautiful necklace and you will be absolutely gorgeous! Let us know what you decide! 

OP, after reading your thoughts and follow-ups, I think you should wear the dress.  It wouldn't be the right choice for everyone, but -- ultimately -- yours is the only opinion that really matters, and I think you'd be happy doing it.  Why? 

- You've thought through it.  This is not a spur of the moment throw-it-in-the-suitcase.  

- You welcome the idea of standing out /will take it as a compliment if people comment on your dress. 

- The comment about your other dresses not really being "fun" is a spotlight into your personality.  More than anything else, that one comment brought me over to the side of supporting the dress.  

- You say you don't really want to buy another dress.  

Having said that, I do have two concerns about the outfit: 

- You say you're going to leave the underskirts at home -- practical.  DEFINITELY take time to try the dress on ahead of time /check the fit without that extra fullness.  You might need a bit of alteration (or maybe just a different pair of shoes).  

- I'll say again, you can't half-way this outfit.  If you wear the dress, you've gotta go whole-hog with the hair, make-up, etc.  This dress would not work with a modern hairstyle and jewelry.   

• Like 3

On 9/5/2023 at 12:55 PM, katcruiser68 said:

Hello,

We’re cruising after a long break. I’ve lost a significant amount of weight and no longer have any formal wear. I do have a dress I wore to my son’s wedding this spring, a medieval theme wedding, I found a dress that wasn’t as medieval as some are. Please let me know if this is a yeah or nay for formal night; minus the underskirt, fancy hairdo, and makeup. 

Thank you,

Kat

IMG_1307.jpeg

Hi Kat, you are asking us for opinions and are receiving many replies. For me? This is way over the top, but then again I no longer wear dresses at all. But if you are happy with it? I would think that is all that matters. But logistics wise? I think (again just my opinion) it would be much too difficult to pack).

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

• Like 1