Fall Covid shot in the U.S.?

Porkpi

For those wanting to get a Covid booster before departing on a ship in October/November:

Do you think it's possible to get one at Walgreens or CVS in the U.S.?  

Has anyone done this?  We cannot make an online appointment as it requires a U.S. address.   

We are close to the Buffalo/ Niagara Falls border and could easily do this a few weeks before we sail.

Not sure when the boosters will become available in Ontario, so we'd go get it in the U.S. if we cannot do it here in 

time. 

It may not be a free shot, but would rather have it than not, before flying and embarking.   

I cannot say how what it is like now, but in the past we have received 3 Covid shots (2 in Mississippi and 1 in Texas).  We received flu shots last year in Florida before a cruise.  We made appointments and used a hotel address.   We did have to pay for the flu shot but we had insurance that they took and billed directly.  They never asked for id or proof of address.

• Like 1

The US Food and Drug Administration today approved updated Covid vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna targeting the omicron variant XBB.1.5., with an anticipated mid-September availability

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/11/covid-vaccines-fda-approves-new-shots-from-pfizer-moderna.html

There will be a press conference in Ottawa tomorrow that may see information on the approval and release dates in Canada. It's possible that you'll be able to get your booster here before heading out.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/news/2023/09/government-of-canada-officials-to-hold-a-technical-briefing-on-covid-19-vaccines-in-canada-september-12-2023.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This updated article says that the new vaccine will start arriving in Canada tomorrow, but for some reason will not be shipped out to the provinces until October. With all of the lead time that both federal and provincial governments have had to prepare for its arrival, it's ridiculous IMO that there would be a two week or more period between the time that the vaccine arrives and the time distribution starts.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/moderna-approved-1.6963996

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

This updated article says that the new vaccine will start arriving in Canada tomorrow, but for some reason will not be shipped out to the provinces until October. With all of the lead time that both federal and provincial governments have had to prepare for its arrival, it's ridiculous IMO that there would be a two week or more period between the time that the vaccine arrives and the time distribution starts.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/moderna-approved-1.6963996

Presumably stock has to be accumulated so that all provinces and territories can receive a useful quantity around the same time. Otherwise, who picks the first province? 🙂

2 hours ago, broberts said:

Presumably stock has to be accumulated so that all provinces and territories can receive a useful quantity around the same time. Otherwise, who picks the first province? 🙂

You might be right. Personally, I would have thought that a good distribution plan would entail getting it out to the provinces and into people's arms as quickly as possible. You could apply the percentage going to each province and territory whatever the size of the incoming shipments. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, millybess said:

Do you have any links for this information?

This is a link to a CTV article relative to Quebec, but it mentions that the Moderna shot will roll out first, but implies the Pfizer shot has been OK'd by Health Canada and will follow soon after.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-rolling-out-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-oct-2-for-vulnerable-groups-1.6581307

We're in a tough spot as we fly out to LAX to board the Discovery Princess on Oct 6, and we're still not sure we can be "boosted" with the newest shot before we go. Originally, Quebec stated Oct 10, then corrected it to allow "at risk" populations like us over 60, to get our shots starting Oct 2.  Trouble is, as at today there's still no appointment booking link on the Gvt website for any date next week.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

^^gnome 12 is correct, which includes if you have recently had Covid. They also say you can get yearly flu shot at same time as Covid booster (NOT something I would do). I'll be getting the flu shot, but really debating on another Covid shot. (had 5).... it's a wait and see with these two old coggers.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

^^gnome 12 is correct, which includes if you have recently had Covid. They also say you can get yearly flu shot at same time as Covid booster (NOT something I would do). I'll be getting the flu shot, but really debating on another Covid shot. (had 5).... it's a wait and see with these two old coggers.

DW and I have had our original 2 shots plus 4 boosters to date. We've already booked our appointments for our XBB shots, and in our case, will gladly take our Fluzone High-Dose Quadrivalent flu shot at the same time if it is available. 

• Like 2

I got my flu on last Tuesday and new Covid booster on Thursday in Toronto at Shoppers Drug store. No appointment, walk-in.

Call your drugstore to see they have the new Covid booster as they are receiving daily shipments.  

The drugstores all have the flu shots - 65+ and regular and some doctors.

Edited by phabric

5 hours ago, phabric said:

I got my flu on last Tuesday and new Covid booster on Thursday in Toronto at Shoppers Drug store. No appointment, walk-in.

@phabric  I’m curious if you were able to choose between Moderna and Pfizer.  If not, did you know which one was being administered when you got there?

7 minutes ago, millybess said:

@phabric  I’m curious if you were able to choose between Moderna and Pfizer.  If not, did you know which one was being administered when you got there?

My Shoppers had only Moderna. I was told they didn’t know when Pfizer was going to be shipped.  I had 5 Pfizer doses before and asked about having Moderna now, she said it is good to mix doses.  I was going to take what they had as we fly Nov 7 to Rome.

Edited by phabric
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, phabric said:

My Shoppers had only Moderna. I was told they didn’t know when Pfizer was going to be shipped.  I had 5 Pfizer doses before and asked about having Moderna now, she said it is good to mix doses.  I was going to take what they had as we fly Nov 7 to Rome.

Pfizer was approved later than Moderna, so it may take a bit longer to get those in.

7 hours ago, millybess said:

I received the 65+ 'Flu shot and COVID booster last week. They only had Moderna, which they advised upon checking in. Since I had Astra Z first and all subsequent have been Moderna, it works for me.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I received the 65+ 'Flu shot and COVID booster last week. They only had Moderna, which they advised upon checking in. Since I had Astra Z first and all subsequent have been Moderna, it works for me.

I have had almost every vaccine going. I had Covishield, Astra Zeneca, Pfizer, Moderna, Moderna Bivalent and Pfizer Bivalent. And tomorrow I get the newest which I think will be Moderna as well as the 65+ flu shot.