What is the Truth About Sunset Verandas and Furniture; Social Media Says Loungers are Being Removed!

Lastdance

14 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

A “hard” yes would be great too, but that is not going to happen either.  Jeremiah, have you been in an SV with a lounger, or just the uncomfortable chairs?

I've experienced both. Including one of the SV's on E class next door to the aft Sky Suites that are really too narrow for 2 chairs + lounger. I think the lounger on SV's in general is the exception not the rule.

• Thanks 1

We spend most of our free time reading on the balcony. Losing the loungers on the SV is probably the last straw for us on Celebrity. 
With all the recent changes, I feel that Celebrity just doesn’t want us anymore. Sadly, it’s probably time to move on.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Shipswap said:

We spend most of our free time reading on the balcony. Losing the loungers on the SV is probably the last straw for us on Celebrity. 
With all the recent changes, I feel that Celebrity just doesn’t want us anymore. Sadly, it’s probably time to move on.

Very sad as they have a nice amount of space to make it work and it’s very little cost to the cruise line to keep a passenger happy

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I've experienced both. Including one of the SV's on E class next door to the aft Sky Suites that are really too narrow for 2 chairs + lounger. I think the lounger on SV's in general is the exception not the rule.

We were on Apex in a SV next to the aft Sky Suite. We brought the 2 chairs into the room( there is additional floor space in a SV as compared to an Infinite) and had plenty of room for the two loungers. It worked out perfectly.

As an aside, I am racking my brain to find a reason why a lounger creates a safety issue more than a chair and table. I’m sure I could come up with a bizarre situation, but nothing that supports a ship by ship situation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cbfb said:

Uggh! So disappointing! One of the reasons we booked SV on Beyond in January. I see a move up bid in our future!!! 

Sounds like the lounger appeared..I’m thinking a $20 tip would ease the process. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

We were on the Apex TA in April 2023 in a SV.  Asked for a lounger and was told not going to happen. The cabin next to us had one and was not a suite.  However,  on day 5 or so the weather was expected to start getting bad and brought the furniture inside our room.  As stated above, the SV is like the IV with the veranda added to the outside - a great room. So the addition of the furniture inside was not a problem.  Was nice to look out when we could not venture our for a few days.  The lounger next door was tied down outside to the wall somehow.  About the last 5 days the furniture was moved outside.  

We enjoy reading on our SV balcony as well. The current E class balcony chairs are not comfortable reading chairs.  

Now for some wishful thinking:  If they were to replace those uncomfortable Hoppen chairs with the ones I remember from the M and S class ships (along with the footstools that disappeared), that would be wonderful! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shipswap said:

As an aside, I am racking my brain to find a reason why a lounger creates a safety issue more than a chair and table.

Crazy notion here but I wonder how many people have engaged in...shall I say...intimate acts on said loungers...I know that if I were to ever suggest such a thing, DH would likely have a heart attack from the shock...hence a safety issue?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shipswap said:

We feel exactly the same.  We have one more cruise in an SV, then moving on  starting with HAL.

Seems like we are now 

being punished for not liking the absurd IV.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Crazy notion here but I wonder how many people have engaged in...shall I say...intimate acts on said loungers...I know that if I were to ever suggest such a thing, DH would likely have a heart attack from the shock...hence a safety issue?

When we were told that we couldn’t have a lounger for safety reasons, the cabin steward said the previous people who occupied our room went a little drunk crazy and sounds like the loungers went overboard.

I have no idea if this was true or a line and no way to verify.  But if true, somebody seriously ruined it for the rest of us 

These people would have sailed in mid March 2023 on the Edge in an 11th floor SV

Personally I think it was a parrot line to start to wean pax from SV loungers but who knows

Edited by Cruise till you drop
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

the cabin steward said the previous people who occupied our room went a little drunk crazy and sounds like the loungers went overboard.

Wow!  If that's the case, I would think the drunk crazed passengers should be held liable for their careless and dangerous actions.  I would also think that Celebrity would be throwing the baby out with the bath water by removing the loungers based on the actions of a couple doing a stupid thing, thus assuming (punishing) all passengers would somehow be inclined to repeat such absurd behavior.  But as you said...who really knows...

50 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

When we were told that we couldn’t have a lounger for safety reasons, the cabin steward said the previous people who occupied our room went a little drunk crazy and sounds like the loungers went overboard.

I have no idea if this was true or a line and no way to verify.  But if true, somebody seriously ruined it for the rest of us 

These people would have sailed in mid March 2023 on the Edge in an 11th floor SV

Personally I think it was a parrot line to start to wean pax from SV loungers but who knows

I would think that if that lounger was on an aft SV balcony, it would bounce all the way down to the ocean...or...land on another balcony.  The story seems a stretch.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Sounds like a BS excuse to me. What would have prevented said passengers from throwing a chair or table overboard if there were no loungers? Why is a lounger more dangerous? There is zero logic in that statement 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

You seem to have been given a very strange explanation. And the solution to dealing with the alleged incident makes little sense. Surely chairs and tables being pitched overboard would be a more common threat, if such a thing even happens.  I agree, that the entire incident is fishy. 

We went through this when they first eliminated the footstools  and then when they took away nicer  balc tables where one could eat a meal .

Sounds like this a ban on SV loungers  could be the next "Cookiegate". Why have all that space for just a tiny table and 2 chairs,?

We’re currently on the Silhouette in a Sunset Veranda - on deck 10 they have reclassified them as Concierge Class. 

The veranda is no larger than a regular veranda cabin, so only just long enough for the recliner chairs and a tiny table. You could fit loungers but they’d need to be sideways to the balcony and you wouldn’t be able to pass around them. 

From memory the SVs on the lower decks were a little deeper. 

Incidentally we have had a real bad soot problem all cruise so far - huge lumps of soot on the veranda and even the OVC outdoor seating area is covered in it. 

7 hours ago, hcat said:

We went through this when they first eliminated the footstools  and then when they took away nicer  balc tables where one could eat a meal .

Sounds like this a ban on SV loungers  could be the next "Cookiegate". Why have all that space for just a tiny table and 2 chairs,?

All that space with no loungers has been our experience with the sweet 16 on M class.  Tons of space with just 2 chairs and small table.

1 hour ago, NeroliGirl said:

image.thumb.jpg.25e7bab983e5687785aec38394718aec.jpgHere’s a picture of the soot just now, and we’ve been in port all day 

The soot in port can be much worse than when sailing due to the winds, etc...they still have to run at least one engine to power the boat.  

They were on our constellation cruise a couple of weeks ago. We had a couple of bad days of weather and there was furniture flying overnight.  The aft facing suite below are SV had 5 glass panels shattered from furniture flying around.  Fortunately we slept through it all. 😴 

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

The soot in port can be much worse than when sailing due to the winds, etc...they still have to run at least one engine to power the boat.  

On the Edge, we were in an 11th floor SV and was warned about the soot but we really didn’t find it that bad (some but not terrible)