in queens grill suite

dress code? 
I don’t think so

having a drink in grills lounge

jeans abound

in theatre on gala evening a ghastly array of underdressed souls

we are of course dressed to the nines and loving the cruise

very shocked

And here I am on the same cruise thinking how remarkable it was in the Verandah restaurant a couple evenings ago on a Smart Attire evening. Almost all the gentlemen were wearing jackets even though that's no longer required by the Smart Attire dress code. I was pleasantly surprised.

I can't comment on the grills and I can't say I've paid attention in the Royal Court Theatre.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Totally the opposite of QV two weeks ago.

Would have expected even more formality on QM2.

Wonder how compliance is at Britannia level?

It seems counterintuitive but in the large four star hotel where I ran F&B and Housekeeping pre-retirement those dining in the most expensive restaurants and staying in the biggest suites frequently dressed the worst.

A shame in any case.

Since I switch from X to Cunard, with the occaisonall MSC- voage throwen in- and visa verse, I only can report that the passengers on board a Cunarder always dress much nicer and more elegant. Some do not- some more some less- but overall- the more formal dresscode makes for a nice ambiance. For those who walk around rather causual- not stay sloppy - well that does not bother me at all. There business- not mine.

One has just to take a closer look how the people these days dress for- let´s say shopping- unbelievable- all has to be connvinient- mostly lounge wear- same goes for shoes- trainers, trainers  and if not some old worn out slip ons- like Birkenstock.

I never sail in the Grills- much to expensive for better food and only a small part of the ship reserved for Grills. The QM2 is such a wonderful ship it would be a shame just to stick in the Grills lounges etc. When sailing MSC I only sail in Yacht Club 2000 or 3000 passengers more than on a Cunarder of the same size- is unbearable for me. LOL.

So I am on QM2 tonight, a Gala night, and in Britannia I was assigned a table in the best area, which in my view is Port side upper gallery on Deck 3, open dining. This allowed me, over a 20 minute period to do a survey of the first 100 men going past my table, both directions. 

94 followed the dress code.

6 did not follow the code, in my view

1 guy was way short.

On the other hand 2 were in white tails, so I think that improves the overall position.

Now here's your trigger, and with smelling salts to hand, the non conformers were

- two men in short sleeve shirts, no jacket.

- one similar, but long sleeve.

- one close call - dark stylish jeans, dark jacket, no tie, unbuttoned 3 down.

- one Hawai'i style shirt, but it was 2 tone, nothing too splashy

- and the big offender: orange shirt, not tucked in, fading blue jeans and since he was on my side of 50 years old certainly old enough to know better. He would not have got his big toe over the threshold of the QE2 restaurant without being swiftly intercepted by the Maître d'. 

OK, so context here, on this not exactly scientific survey 94% conformed, which should be the headline really. I didn't check the ladies, but I'd assume near 100% anyway.

Now some caveats - I could see that all the sought after window seats were given to those in suits or dinner jackets. The six reprobates were led to the end by the kitchen swing doors. Others got put behind pillars, which is a good way to handle this. So there may be a bit lower conformance percentage if we consider those not ushered to the upper gallery and those on Deck 2.

In my reckoning of the 94% I took a generous view, so I cleared cream and fawn colour suits and mis-matched suits, so long as a tie of some sort was worn. This sector is SOU-HAM, with most passengers starting in NYC 9 days ago. I would suggest - as gently as I can - that it's probably harder for the German guests to meet the dress code since there's less of a rugby/golf/Freemason/Rotary/professional body dinner tradition back home. Still the headline is most  conformed.

Moreover being the last night, there is in theory a waiver for those disembarking tomorrow. I did see one couple challenged in Commodore by the wait staff, and that was their response.

But overall, I'm not getting a massive reduction in standards, provided one takes a generous view of the situation.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

Ahh, such a relief to know that there will only be a few who flout 'the code' - the Gala nights will remain the elegant atmosphere of traditional values - and those who don't adhere will be hidden away in the dark recesses of the main dining room, so that they are not visible enough to spoil the classy community feeling of Gala-enjoying passengers who do dress to the code. ( I did have a typo in the sentence when it came out as 'soil' but I corrected it back to 'spool' before clicking the Submit Reply button, despite the excitement of reading the detailed survey of the penultimate night Gala adherence. Oh what a relief.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Moreover being the last night, there is in theory a waiver for those disembarking tomorrow. I did see one couple challenged in Commodore by the wait staff, and that was their response.

I appreciate the detail of your analysis. Yes this was indeed a designated optional Gala Evening. Per the daily programme: "(Smart Attire is acceptable for guests who are finally disembarking tomorrow if preferred)".

I think your stats are spot on with my very general observations in the Britannia restaurant on Gala Evenings during our past several voyages. Just one or two in the "way short" category, such as a gentleman seen in Britannia in a hooded sweatshirt this past May. We only saw him walking toward the restaurant entrance, so I suppose there's always the possibility he was just passing through from G32. One can hope anyway.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Since I switch from X to Cunard, with the occaisonall MSC- voage throwen in- and visa verse, I only can report that the passengers on board a Cunarder always dress much nicer and more elegant. Some do not- some more some less- but overall- the more formal dresscode makes for a nice ambiance. For those who walk around rather causual- not stay sloppy - well that does not bother me at all. There business- not mine.

One has just to take a closer look how the people these days dress for- let´s say shopping- unbelievable- all has to be connvinient- mostly lounge wear- same goes for shoes- trainers, trainers  and if not some old worn out slip ons- like Birkenstock.

I never sail in the Grills- much to expensive for better food and only a small part of the ship reserved for Grills. The QM2 is such a wonderful ship it would be a shame just to stick in the Grills lounges etc. When sailing MSC I only sail in Yacht Club 2000 or 3000 passengers more than on a Cunarder of the same size- is unbearable for me. LOL.

The great thing about The Grills is that you still have the entire ship at your disposal; you’re not relegated to just the few Grills area.  If I ever was on an MSC ship, I probably would never leave the YC for the general ship. 
The extra Grills fare also includes a bigger suite, a real bathroom, and other benefits. 
On our summer TA in PG, I felt like I was a full participant of the entire ship first then a Grills pax second. I feel like other lines’ Suite categories have pax feel like a Suite guest first and a “regular” pax second. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Pushpit said:

So I am on QM2 tonight, a Gala night, and in Britannia I was assigned a table in the best area, which in my view is Port side upper gallery on Deck 3, open dining. This allowed me, over a 20 minute period to do a survey of the first 100 men going past my table, both directions. 

Wow, GREAT job with the survey. Thank you very much. I think your results are a good sign. Two weeks ago, on the QE, my much less scientific observations earned a score of 98% plus compliance over the 14 day cruise. While we were in PG we did go to the Royal Court Theater all but 3 nights. Perhaps equally encouraging was that on Smart Attire nights most gentlemen exceeded the minimum requirements.

Jack

• Like 3

On our QV shortie, I was pleasantly surprised to see near total compliance, on our only Gala night in the Britannia MDR, with the only noticeable deviation a chap in a light coloured suit, it being a "party cruise" I had fully expected it to be a horror show.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Surely someone with that approach is just as likely to be a historian.

Or even a mathematician, but then that would rule me out!

I didn't follow fellow passengers' dress that closely but this year, I would say not much has changed, Gala dress wise. There were definitely more chaps without jackets [non Gala evenings] around the ship but that didn't detract from the overall ambiance.

7 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Or even a mathematician, but then that would rule me out!

I didn't follow fellow passengers' dress that closely but this year, I would say not much has changed, Gala dress wise. There were definitely more chaps without jackets [non Gala evenings] around the ship but that didn't detract from the overall ambiance.

I think it depends on the type of sailing one is taking.

Our last September Quebec (NYC-NYC) reminded me of the old QE2 days. Very special voyage we looked forwarded to and all enjoyed themselves. And the dress code was hard to find anyone that wanted to violate it. A Classic sailing.

It was a challenge two months ago on the 4th of July - type of party cruise - with the dress code which we noticed many, many newbies were on board. We forgave them since being new, they didn't understand the concept and feelings we personally have for the Dear Queen 2. This is what prevents us from wanting to experience another vessel without the Mary 2 feel.

Our next voyage will be interesting in 500+ days Caribbean Style and what we will see and experience.

In March, there will be a certain attraction away from vacations and holidays to book this sailing.

Our fourteen day cruise in July had a couple of shorties in it. The ambiance did change to a more party atmosphere Kiel back to Southampton  but as I recall, not much changed as far as evening dress was concerned. In fact I'd go so far as to say a shortie often seems to bring out the 'formal' wear as folk want to scrub up to the occasion.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Our fourteen day cruise in July had a couple of shorties in it. The ambiance did change to a more party atmosphere Kiel back to Southampton  but as I recall, not much changed as far as evening dress was concerned. In fact I'd go so far as to say a shortie often seems to bring out the 'formal' wear as folk want to scrub up to the occasion.

Agree!

I had passengers that were looking forward to really enjoying themselves with even some of the Dear Ladies dressing to the Nine's with their Mens. Even the Men, we were conversing about what color ties we would use on Formal - Gala Evening to dress up the evening on a shortie in July. I was so happy to see that even though minority feeling, they truly wanted to honor the QM2 with style.

I am a retired professional "non freemason, rugby club formal dinner type" as described on a previous thread.

I rarely dress up. HOWEVER for my one way on the QM 2 to NYC in November, I have purchased the full get up..bow ties cummerbund the lot, and am as excited as an excited thing. I can hardly wait for the gala nights ( even if my wife is insisting on a weekend in Venice for masks for the masquerade! ) 

It is WHY we are travelling this way.

On an unrelated issue. As we will be at sea on Thanksgiving and Mrs Dunvectrin is American she wonders if there is anything planned for that Thursday? 

Off to polish my patents!! 

Edited by Dunvectrin'
Added words for clarity
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Dunvectrin' said:

I am a retired professional "non freemason, rugby club formal dinner type" as described on a previous thread.

I rarely dress up. HOWEVER for my one way on the QM 2 to NYC in November, I have purchased the full get up..bow ties cummerbund the lot, and am as excited as an excited thing. I can hardly wait for the gala nights ( even if my wife is insisting on a weekend in Venice for masks for the masquerade! ) 

It is WHY we are travelling this way.

On an unrelated issue. As we will be at sea on Thanksgiving and Mrs Dunvectrin is American she wonders if there is anything planned for that Thursday? 

Off to polish my patents!! 

We got our masks on Amazon for $4 each. I ended up looking like a professional wrestler! This is the same tux I wore for our first TA in 2008  IMG_3408.thumb.jpeg.0951af2baac4bf19c4f13a2b82ceec53.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1