Magnetic Hooks and Flying

Chippendale

13 hours ago, loman said:

I dont put anything that isnt important in my carryon . I make it as light as possible.

My carry on is a tote bag.( no wheels )

On the other hand, DW and I both struggle to make the weight limit for our checked bags, so we tend to put heavy items into our 4-wheel carry ons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

On the other hand, DW and I both struggle to make the weight limit for our checked bags, so we tend to put heavy items into our 4-wheel carry ons.

Ah, we dont have that problem , we use two 26 inch luggage that empty weigh 14 lbs , and  when fully packed they weigh 33 lbs each .

With the relaxed dress code on formal night , we bring less now . 

Your method is a sound strategy for your situation.

• Like 2

Am I missing something? Why is there a concern about bringing magnetic hooks on an airplane? Is that illegal for some reason? FWIW, we bring magnetic hooks with us all the time, sometimes in carry-ons but usually in checked luggage. We've never given it a thought either way.

17 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Am I missing something? Why is there a concern about bringing magnetic hooks on an airplane? Is that illegal for some reason? FWIW, we bring magnetic hooks with us all the time, sometimes in carry-ons but usually in checked luggage. We've never given it a thought either way.

I didn't either...until they pulled my carry on bag at Tampa cruise terminal to check the magnets.  Never bothered to ask why it would matter...but no biggee.  

I've packed magnets in both, as well, never with any issues. I always take a RCCL wine opener in my purse and it always makes it to the ship. One time, I mistakenly left a pocket knife in my carry-on/purse, and it even made it through! 😲

2 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I don't think it is a concern with magnetic hooks per se, it is probably the category of "identifiable metal object" on Xray that makes it an issue.

• Like 1

Somewhat related note, I've had TSA check my carry-on due to a forgotten handle from a tripod. It was unscrewed from the body and on x-ray looks almost identical to a screwdriver. Incredibly and luckily, I was allowed to bring it on board. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by cruisemiser1

2 hours ago, SilkySal said:

I've packed magnets in both, as well, never with any issues. I always take a RCCL wine opener in my purse and it always makes it to the ship. One time, I mistakenly left a pocket knife in my carry-on/purse, and it even made it through! 😲

I carry a SMALL pocketknife with me everywhere. On more than one occasion I have forgotten to pack it in my checked luggage. When that happens, I give it to my wife and she puts it in her purse. She has carried that knife through TSA checkpoints and cruise terminal checkpoints. Either they don't care about it because it's so small or with all the other shi (stuff) she has in her purse, they just don't notice it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

The concern is the “magnetic hooks” might flag the luggage as metal objects.  Would prefer not to have my luggage ransacked to make sure I am not carrying something prohibited. BTW, I am always flagged for a necklace I wear. I receive a pat down every time. Minor inconvenience. My husband has joint replacements and more often than not has a pat down.  🤣

On 9/22/2023 at 12:06 AM, island lady said:

I get a quick pat down for my watch and bracelet quite often.  Bucky....he sets off the Xrays at the airport almost every time for shrapnel still in him from Vietnam.  😞 

Yep, I (and my wife) have had total knee replacements.  The doctors assured us that it would not affect Airport Security (TSA).  Nothing further from the truth.  I used to never be bothered by TSA, but now it's 100%, not that we fly a lot, almost never.  

• Like 1