Is this true? No OTC meds or sunscreen in gift shop on NCL?

vivalv66

4 minutes ago, vivalv66 said:

Heard this somewhere. Find it odd a cruise ship would not sell sunscreen, dramamine or Tums.

I don't know about NCL, but it's possible.

I know when COVID hit, the OTC stuff was removed from other cruise line's shops.  They didn't want people self medicating if they were sick, they wanted them to go the health center.  Sunscreen - possibly they removed on non-reef friendly products, I don't know.

Since the re-start, a number of cruise lines want guests to go to the medical center if they are having symptoms that might be caused by covid, and so a number of OTC meds have been removed from the shops. Easy solution is to bring your own meds. 

In any event, you should be asking your question in the NCL forum. 

10 minutes ago, vivalv66 said:

Heard this somewhere. Find it odd a cruise ship would not sell sunscreen, dramamine or Tums.

If there is some type of supply/supplies that you expect to need during a cruise, 

==>> Bring it with you.

Regardless of any "policies" (which could change in any direction on very short notice anyway), even if they "do sell X", they could be "out of X".

And on a cruise, one isn't able just to head to the store one block or 1 mile away, or even "phone around to see who does have X".

IF a ship does stock X, what brands?  And chances are excellent that there will be a very serious mark-up on it.  After all, they have no competition, plus space is limited and valuable on a ship.

And if you wait until you get on shore again, who knows what brands will be available, or at what prices?  Your chances are better at any large-ish port, of course, but that means you wouldn't have had it until you reach that port.  On some cruises, that's the next day.  On others, several days later.

We bring a supply of ALL Rx meds we need/might need, and also an assortment of small quantities of various OTC meds, potions, and lotions.  

GC

• Like 3

Used to see a limited selection of OTC meds inside the gift shops onboard NCL ships, not lately since the restart in 2022.  Supply chains shortage also not helping the store in offering sunscreen, and popular items like keychains, magnets, logo merchandise items, etc.  If the duty-free shop is open while at sea, take a look inside as some items are now available there, behind the cash register ... could be related to "loss prevention" a/k/a theft.  

From our recent EPIC T/A in April, did check and confirmed that some items are available & offered for sale in the duty-free section ... grossly over-priced for the given quantities sold, best to pack & bring your own, and shop when you reach the next port with local shops in the vicinity - restock as needed.

PXL_20230503_1016158091.thumb.jpg.57b4432a5923b5a120c11973239636d9.jpg

PXL_20230503_1016289141.thumb.jpg.56052f0bb25bc35ce8efbdb4b871aac0.jpg

PXL_20230503_1016003151.thumb.jpg.20e66ddf83d68af63f4694a11bd2f958.jpg

Last week on the Escape, didn't get the chance to pass by to see if duty-free section is similar ... could vary by specific ship.  

When in doubt, Siri, Alexa or Google it and let AI come to your aid.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

Just like in hotels, OTC meds are grossly overpriced on all cruise ships.  I always pack my own little med pack with  few bandaids, antiseptic, aspirin, tylenol, mini nail clippers, and blister pads.  Costs less than $20.  Never needed to buy anything from any hotel or cruise ship gift shop!

We got caught out a number of years ago, 2016 I think,  where we both came down with colds part way through  30 day cruise around Australia. This was on Celebrity. Nothing on the ship and could not find our usual remedies even in port. The best we could find was Fisherman's Friend for cough.

Ever since that trip we carry enough to handle a bought of cold symptoms for both of us. We pack zicam, DayQuil and NiQuil gel capsules, cough drops, pepto, Immodium. It takes up little space and weight and we have what we need if we need it. 

You can bring your own, I do or wait for port day as you can't even buy a bottle of aspirin in gift shop.

In March I forgot to bring some Claritan just in case, well allergies kicked in, went to gift shop none told me I had to go to medical uh that's a big no just waited until next day and bought in Cancun

• Like 1

On our Escape TA last November, they actually had cough medicine in the gift shop. Mrs. Schmoopie (who I told to make sure she had packed some pre-trip...but somehow forgot) ended up developing a bad cough (not Covid) and ended up needing two bottles. But at $14 per (small bottle),...for our convenience, of course...definitely not a bargain.

We used to bring less but these days, out of an abundance of extra precautions, and for our convenience, these are items that are in our carry-ons, especially when on longer cruises & out-of-home country vacations. No issues with border security or customs, etc. abroad since none are Class or Schedule 1 or 2, and we kept either the original bottles or the extra labels from our pharmacies. 

Also, first aid kit, masks & hand sanitizer and wipes, instant coffee & energy bars in the small packing cube. Expect the unexpected. 

Collage_2023-01-13_10_29_01.thumb.jpg.7149c09887a28a6fff12dd648c918fdb.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/24/2023 at 10:30 AM, mking8288 said:

We used to bring less but these days, out of an abundance of extra precautions, and for our convenience, these are items that are in our carry-ons, especially when on longer cruises & out-of-home country vacations. No issues with border security or customs, etc. abroad since none are Class or Schedule 1 or 2, and we kept either the original bottles or the extra labels from our pharmacies. 

Also, first aid kit, masks & hand sanitizer and wipes, instant coffee & energy bars in the small packing cube. Expect the unexpected. 

Collage_2023-01-13_10_29_01.thumb.jpg.7149c09887a28a6fff12dd648c918fdb.jpg

Love the addition of the bars but I would also recommend bringing an electrolyte replacement if you want to be even better prepared. Also love the pulse ox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunscreen I am very picky with. If anyone knows the brands of sunscreen in duty free on NCL I’m all ears. I bought some on my last Celebrity cruise since they have my brand and a better selection than Sephora.

One thing to note is each county has different rules for meds so always carry what you want in original packaging just in case. My basic kit has antihistamines, Sudafed, muscle relaxants, Advil, Tylenol, heartburn chews, plus things like a few bandaids etc. from home (Canada) plus I bring Dramamine less-drowsy from the US.

When we got to port in Vancouver a bunch of Americans where surprised to learn they could buy muscle relaxants OTC in Canada and had directions to the nearby pharmacy. I’ve been stuck in the US without them and will never travel without. The rest I can easily grab at a US pharmacy so on land trips I don’t pack too much OTC.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Sunscreen I am very picky with. If anyone knows the brands of sunscreen in duty free on NCL I’m all ears. I bought some on my last Celebrity cruise since they have my brand and a better selection than Sephora.

One thing to note is each county has different rules for meds so always carry what you want in original packaging just in case. My basic kit has antihistamines, Sudafed, muscle relaxants, Advil, Tylenol, heartburn chews, plus things like a few bandaids etc. from home (Canada) plus I bring Dramamine less-drowsy from the US.

When we got to port in Vancouver a bunch of Americans where surprised to learn they could buy muscle relaxants OTC in Canada and had directions to the nearby pharmacy. I’ve been stuck in the US without them and will never travel without. The rest I can easily grab at a US pharmacy so on land trips I don’t pack too much OTC.

Just to clarify, a US citizen cannot bring medications back into the US that require a prescription here even if the meds were purchased OTC in the other country.  Also some foreign countries have strict limits on OTC meds.  For instance, your Sudafed is a huge no no in Japan.  

The way you have your meds stored on the ship is not an issue.  Port security doesn't care if you use a pill organizer.  But, airport security may be an issue.  Closed loop American cruises should pose no problems with using a pill organizer.  Even if you fly in from another state, TSA doesn't care.  It's still a good idea to keep narcotics in their original bottles.  Also a good idea in general, not just for travel, is to have photos on your phone of all your prescription med bottles.  

• Like 2

The Escape (I just went on 9/17 to 9/24, 2023) had a minimal amount of OTC meds and a bit more of sunscreen. 

I always just bring a stocked first aid kit with everything I could need. Even if I don't need it, someone else might. I do know that my husband can't go to Japan, because he has to take Concerta. And I second the keeping photos of the bottles and sometimes bringing the little paper Rx. But for practicality, I pack our stuff in travel pill organizers.