Just off Equinox - Review

PatandStu

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

PatandStu was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

This was our first X cruise after many on other cruise lines.

Cabin: had a regular balcony & it was fine for the 2 of us. Had continental breakfast on the balcony on sea days. Bathroom was large. Lots of storage spots in cabin. 

Entire ship a bit worn; more noticeable in some spots than others but it did not affect our enjoyment. 

Entertainment: was varied and ok for the most part. Really enjoyed the “beyond the podium” lectures and live music. 

Food: Oceanview cafe was great for breakfast & lunch because we enjoy sitting outside (aft of the ship). We could usually find something we liked. Some food was better than other, but overall not bad. 
We ate at Silhouette most nights and all but one meal was quite enjoyable. The service was stellar! We sat at the same table every night with anytime dining by making the reservation for the next night as we were leaving. Shout out to Elbert, Neil & Arlen for their excellent service that made our dinners special. 

Wifi: I had basic which was fine for me if not a tad slow. DH had premium which he wanted but I was ok with slow.

Drink package: we had the basic and for the most part, it was sufficient.  Several times we paid the up charge but that was certainly cheaper than upgrading to premium.

Speaking of drinks,Elvis & Hitesh at the sunset bar are 2 of the best bartenders we’ve ever encountered. We sat there in rain & wind just to hang out with these guys. Too bad the smoking area is right there! Cigars-yuck!

Only 2 disappointments. Firstly, why have a dress code in Silhouette if you’re not going to enforce it. Every evening we saw men & women in shorts & flip flops, even on “chic” night. It’s not that huge a deal, but to us it detracts from the more upscale dining experience that X advertises. 

Secondly, the biggest disappointment was Murano.  The service was not great-we felt as though we were bothering them. The food was ok but not stellar. We had a late seating & felt very rushed. To the point that the cheese course was never presented. We made them aware we were celebrating our anniversary & it was not acknowledged at all. The waiters all made a big production of a birthday at an adjacent table so we know they do celebrations.

Overall, we will certainly sail with X again, likely on an S class ship. We liked the size and don’t miss the theme park extras. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, PatandStu said:

Secondly, the biggest disappointment was Murano.  The service was not great-we felt as though we were bothering them.

I get this and have seen it also.  I have had really great experiences there but just as many so so.   Tho food wise never really a complaint more service and the indifference that has happened.  Glad you overall enjoyed the cruise.  I do find a class my favorite of the medium to large ships overall.  Just a great layout 

• Like 3

Happy anniversary!  and Thank you for the review!  Sounds like an over all very nice cruise.  When we last sailed Equinox we decided to forego Murano for Tuscan Grille instead....which was outstanding! For us, the menu at Murano has grown tired and I definitely agree that the food has slid from what it used to be.  The fact that your cheese course never came is not acceptable.  And at the very least, you should have been presented with a small cake like we were for our anniversary a few years ago.  I have found that later seatings can feel rushed, which is a shame considering the price you pay to dine in Murano.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, PatandStu said:

Cabin: had a regular balcony & it was fine for the 2 of us. Had continental breakfast on the balcony on sea days. Bathroom was large. Lots of storage spots in cabin. 

Entire ship a bit worn; more noticeable in some spots than others but it did not affect our enjoyment. 

Entertainment: was varied and ok for the most part. Really enjoyed the “beyond the podium” lectures and live music. 

Food: Oceanview cafe was great for breakfast & lunch because we enjoy sitting outside (aft of the ship). We could usually find something we liked. Some food was better than other, but overall not bad. 
We ate at Silhouette most nights and all but one meal was quite enjoyable. The service was stellar! We sat at the same table every night with anytime dining by making the reservation for the next night as we were leaving. Shout out to Elbert, Neil & Arlen for their excellent service that made our dinners special. 

Wifi: I had basic which was fine for me if not a tad slow. DH had premium which he wanted but I was ok with slow.

Drink package: we had the basic and for the most part, it was sufficient.  Several times we paid the up charge but that was certainly cheaper than upgrading to premium.

Speaking of drinks,Elvis & Hitesh at the sunset bar are 2 of the best bartenders we’ve ever encountered. We sat there in rain & wind just to hang out with these guys. Too bad the smoking area is right there! Cigars-yuck!

Only 2 disappointments. Firstly, why have a dress code in Silhouette if you’re not going to enforce it. Every evening we saw men & women in shorts & flip flops, even on “chic” night. It’s not that huge a deal, but to us it detracts from the more upscale dining experience that X advertises. 

Secondly, the biggest disappointment was Murano.  The service was not great-we felt as though we were bothering them. The food was ok but not stellar. We had a late seating & felt very rushed. To the point that the cheese course was never presented. We made them aware we were celebrating our anniversary & it was not acknowledged at all. The waiters all made a big production of a birthday at an adjacent table so we know they do celebrations.

Overall, we will certainly sail with X again, likely on an S class ship. We liked the size and don’t miss the theme park extras. 

Glad you enjoyed your experience on the Equinox. We enjoyed all four of our cruises on her immensely.  Our Murano experience mirrored yours on our last cruise in August. The food was OK, but the service was not up to par. Thanks for a great review.

• Like 1

Last time in Murano was also a disappointment.  It was the day of us celebrating our 50th anniversary.   We never mention it to anyone  or specify what we are celebrating when we do our check in.   We don’t need people singing to us or giving us a cake.  We are low profile and like  keeping it to ourselves.  We have each other and  that is all we need.   That is our choice and others have different expectations or desires.   So that part had nothing to do with our expereince.   Everyone on board is probably celebrating something.  

The server wasn’t the  greatest.   He seemed to be more occupied with something else.   He didn’t suggest or offer anything.  At the end of our dinner we asked about the cheese cart.   He said that he didn’t think we wanted it.  How would he know if he never offered it.    If if wasn’t from the previous times having it we would have never known about it. It was the same with the deserts.  He gave us the check without asking or offering any of them 

That cheese cart opened up our appreciation of good cheese.  We were happy with the sliced cheese trays from Costco until we experienced what cheese should be.  Now we only buy the good stuff in wedges instead of that cardboard imitation.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 2:44 PM, PatandStu said:

I was on the same cruise and forgot to mention in my questionnaire that in Blu, there was a couple that the man was in shorts and t shirt every night but chic. A big disappointment that they were allowed in. Years ago when there was the happy hour in the sky lounge we went straight from an excursion. My husband was in shorts, they made him change to pants. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ebtrip said:

I was on the same cruise and forgot to mention in my questionnaire that in Blu, there was a couple that the man was in shorts and t shirt every night but chic. A big disappointment that they were allowed in. Years ago when there was the happy hour in the sky lounge we went straight from an excursion. My husband was in shorts, they made him change to pants. 

Dining in Blu, are you allowed to order items from the MDR such as onion soup, ceasar salad and the sirloin?

On 9/25/2023 at 5:44 PM, PatandStu said:

Thanks for the review.  We are sailing on Equinox for first time in Jan 2024.

Can you comment on some of the outdoor spaces like the pool area of the green outdoor areas and such

Pools were semi crowded on sea days but we could always find room to bob around. Same for the hot tubs. The chairs around the pool were always occupied but we found lots of loungers one floor up, either in the sun or in the shade, either close to the music or away from it.   The solarium was a great place for a quiet, relaxing afternoon. 
Green area was nice but only had a few clamshell type loungers. Lots of availability later in the day. 
absolutely loved the sunset bar and the outside area of the buffet. 
The walking track was usually busy. 
We found semi-comfortable loungers outside on deck 5. Watch for flying fish-they’re something to see! 

19 hours ago, ebtrip said:

When we were on Summit earlier this year the head waiter said that since X is part of Royal Caribbean and they allow in shorts and t shirts, they no longer say anything to anyone about dress code.  He claims that Royal guests trying X should feel welcome, so they just let it go!!

9 minutes ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

When we were on Summit earlier this year the head waiter said that since X is part of Royal Caribbean and they allow in shorts and t shirts, they no longer say anything to anyone about dress code.  He claims that Royal guests trying X should feel welcome, so they just let it go!!

That may say it all about X transitioning to be more RC like and attract those that mostly cruise RC. 

14 minutes ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

For dinner?

How sad is that..more bad news for a once elegant cruise line with nicely dressed clientele..

Hope the "wife beater"  sleeveless  undershirts will not  be the  next permitted attire  .They were frequently seen  in the Royal C  buffet at lunch...Hairy pits not appetite enhancers 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, hcat said:

For dinner?

How sad is that..more bad news for a once elegant cruise line with nicely dressed clientele..

Hope the "wife beater"  sleeveless  undershirts will not  be the  next permitted attire  .They were frequently seen  in the Royal C  buffet at lunch...Hairy pits not appetite enhancers 

Didn't see that, but sloppy t shirts, shorts, flip flops, short shorts with a** hanging out and lots of women in  too tight gym pants up their cracks.  Just another downgrade, along with the dinning room food in the MDR.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

On X in Blu, it states there is a dress code. I don’t see why someone can’t put on a pair of pants and a golf shirt. This man always looked like he came in from the gym. If they’re from RCCL and there is no dress code, then go to the buffet. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

Didn't see that, but sloppy t shirts, shorts, flip flops, short shorts with a** hanging out and lots of women in  too tight gym pants up their cracks.  Just another downgrade, along with the dinning room food in the MDR.

Relaxed Luxury™

5 hours ago, ebtrip said:

On X in Blu, it states there is a dress code. I don’t see why someone can’t put on a pair of pants and a golf shirt. This man always looked like he came in from the gym. If they’re from RCCL and there is no dress code, then go to the buffet. 

We were in elevator with a dad and maybe a ten year old son they were going back to their cabin because they didn’t allow him to enter blu with shorts. This was on beyond in November.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

how dreadful!

14 hours ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

Must have been some cruise and perhaps just bad luck.  We’ve done almost 30 cruises on Carnival, Princess and Celebrity and have never witnessed any abnormal dress violations in MDR.

3 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Must have been some cruise and perhaps just bad luck.  We’ve done almost 30 cruises on Carnival, Princess and Celebrity and have never witnessed any abnormal dress violations in MDR.

"The times, they are a changing" as a famous person once sang.  People do there own thing and the X lets them slide. Sad indeed