No sofa in cabin

greenbeanie

Looking at several levels of princess cabins (Discovery) I note there are no couches/sofas in inside / Oceanview / veranda level rooms.  Looks like one needs to be at a mini-suite level to have a couch - pricey, but seems quite nice because there are two TVs, and a room divider.

Interested to see what cruisers in no-couch/sofa cabins think of this situation.  Is it uncomfortable or a problem?  (To me, it feels like a situation  - with only one chair in the room (Oceanview) how is the cabin set up for room service?  Further, two people can't sit together - one must be on the bed.)

Is it possible to request a second chair in the room?

• Like 2

Just now, greenbeanie said:

Looking at several levels of princess cabins (Discovery) I note there are no couches/sofas in inside / Oceanview / veranda level rooms.  Looks like one needs to be at a mini-suite level to have a couch - pricey, but seems quite nice because there are two TVs, and a room divider.

Interested to see what cruisers in no-couch/sofa cabins think of this situation.  Is it uncomfortable or a problem?  (To me, it feels like a situation  - with only one chair in the room (Oceanview) how is the cabin set up for room service?  Further, two people can't sit together - one must be on the bed.)

I requested and was given an extra desk chair once but that’s not something that usually happens. The deluxe balcony cabins have small sleeper 2 cushion loveseats. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, greenbeanie said:

When we are in an inside cabin, the room service trays sit on the desk, and we hold the plates while we eat in bed. Not ideal but it works.

• Like 1

It’s truly a personal choice if you could enjoy your cabin with just a bed and one chair for the whole length of the cruise.

We tried it once when we first started cruising many years ago, never again.

I personally just don’t like a room (either on a ship or on land) that only has a bed to eat, drink, sleep, use a laptop, and watch a show on TV. I need a separate area for those things with my wife (except for sleeping 🙂 ).

Yes, it is more $ but, this should be a vacation that you enjoy all aspects of the cruise especially your cabin and private time.

Cheers

• Like 7

On thé Discovery (and all other Royal Class ships) the veranda cabins are “balcony” which has no sofa, “deluxe balcony” which DOES have a sofa, and a premium deluxe balcony which also has a sofa, but a larger balcony also. You don’t need to go up to a mini suite. This is one thing we like on this class of ship. It’s usually not much more to get a deluxe balcony.

• Like 4

Guest Snaxmuppet

I wish I could make do with an inside cabin. We are in a suite for our next cruise but that is for a special occasion but normally we get a standard or deluxe balcony (depending on offers). I do a lot of photography on a cruise and I just can't make do without a proper desk and somewhere I can sit and do my stuff on the laptop. Doing it on the bed just wouldn't work for me. Having an inside cabin would mean more cruises but alas it is not to be... perhaps when I was younger 🙂 

1 hour ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I just can't make do without a proper desk and somewhere I can sit and do my stuff on the laptop.

The Interior cabins on Royal Class ships actually have larger desks than a Balcony or a Deluxe Balcony.  For a regular interior, the desk spans the entire length of closet.  For a sideways interior, the desk spans the closet and bathroom.

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
9 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

The Interior cabins on Royal Class ships actually have larger desks than a Balcony or a Deluxe Balcony.  For a regular interior, the desk spans the entire length of closet.  For a sideways interior, the desk spans the closet and bathroom.

Thanks. I'll take a closer look 🙂 

In all Princess ships currently sailing balcony category cabins and lower do not have a sofa. There is only a single desk chair. If it is a balcony cabin then there are 2 chairs and a small table on the balcony. Mini suites and full suites have a sofa(s). On Royal class ships there is an additional category, deluxe balcony, that has a two seat sofa. The new soon to be launched Sun and Star Princess  are different in design. They have various cabin categories with sofas.

If your intention is to have meals inside your cabin or to sit and watch TV then it really isn't comfortable in cabins without sofas. I personally do not sit around inside the cabin. If I do then I sit on the balcony. I prefer to get out and about. For me lack of a  sofa isn't a real issue. 

• Like 1

The sofa, actually a loveseat, in the Deluxe Balcony cabin also becomes a single bed, if required.  You also get a small coffee table.  In mini suites you get a full size sofa, which makes up into a good size bed, and a coffee table.  Depending on length of the cruise and itinerary,  we choose either one.  Regular rooms just don’t work for us.  I don’t like to sit on the bed to drink coffee or a glass of wine, if the weather is inclement.

13 hours ago, greenbeanie said:

I've come to the conclusion that they eliminated the extra chair wanting people to spend extra in order to get another seat/couch. 

49 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

The sofa, actually a loveseat, in the Deluxe Balcony cabin also becomes a single bed, if required.  You also get a small coffee table.  In mini suites you get a full size sofa, which makes up into a good size bed, and a coffee table.  Depending on length of the cruise and itinerary,  we choose either one.  Regular rooms just don’t work for us.  I don’t like to sit on the bed to drink coffee or a glass of wine, if the weather is inclement.

hey ! 😃 nice avatar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, skynight said:

. The new soon to be launched Sun and Star Princess  are different in design. 

All cabin categories  on Sun/Star will have a sofa,  at the expense of the large walk-in closets with the storage.and separate small dressing area separating bathroom and room area. Also, the alternating bed by closet, bed by window/wall set-up common on many lines, with the small bump in/out of each cabin, instead of the straight sided rectangle they are now. 

Big big change to cabins for Princess - I'm awaiting all the complaints from long time cruisers over the loss of closet and storage space contrasting with all the happiness over a sofa - and the endless quest for knowing whether bed is by balcony/wall or closet.... 😏

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, c-boy said:

hey ! 😃 nice avatar.

Taken recently at McDonalds.  Told ya we like to dress up! lol lol

Thank you!  As always, you are very kind.

December 2019 Christmas/ New Years on CB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Taken recently at McDonalds.  Told ya we like to dress up! lol lol

Thank you!  As always, you are very kind.

December 2019 Christmas/ New Years on CB

I absolutely LOVE it! ❤️

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RNRcruisers said:

Lack of a sofa doesn't bother us much - certainly not for the price difference. We don't eat a lot in the room, maybe the occasional coffee or wine but that is about it. And we don't mind watching TV from the bed. 

Isn’t it lovely that we can all choose what fits our needs.  This is why cruising is suits us so well.  Something for everyone!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

This is always such a heated topic for some reason - always has been. I remember a day on this board where the argument over jeans in the DR on smart casual nights caused the equivalent of virtual fist fights. And now, that is a non-issue as jeans in the dining room are commonplace.

I think we can all agree that society has changed and cruising has changed along with it. In general, in all aspects of life people dress more casually now for all sorts of things that used to require a stricter dress code, including places like church, school and work. When I started my career you wouldn't catch me at the office in anything less then a suit or dress and always pantyhose. 30 plus years later, my work wear is most often more casual trousers, flats and a sweater set - never pantyhose (thank goodness). And often I'm still the most dressed up person at the office.

Princess still has guidelines, but that is all they are. It is "suggested" and there is very little enforcement unless it is pretty egregious like someone showing up for dinner in ratty gym shorts and a tank top (I have seen that turned away). By and large, you should do what feels comfortable for you. It's a wide range of apparel, especially on formal nights that can range from very casual to full tux and gowns. We dress somewhere in the middle - DH in a suit, sometimes a tie, sometimes not, and me in dressy evening pants and a dressy blouse. That's about as far as we go these days and on more casual cruises like Mexico and Alaska we veer even into the slightly more casual dressy.

So you can assess what works for you - we don't dress the same on every cruise. We have noted that our European cruise, especially out of Southampton tend to be very dressy. Our cruise a few weeks ago featured lots of stunning gowns, tuxedos and even some kilts. We knew this would be the case so we dressed up more on that cruise. It won't be the same story on our Caribbean cruise next year, so I will pack accordingly. 

Just dress in the way that makes sense for you and grab some popcorn and enjoy the banter here! : )

Mort GIFs | Tenor

all right, let's get this thread back on track, before the interlopers come waltzing in.

• Thanks 1