The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday October 5th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning from sunny San Diego! We sure enjoyed our Arizona-Wisconsin-Arizona adventure. After spending most of the summer in Washington, on our drive home from Whidbey Island, we discussed trading in the big 250 Ford for something else. While I was visiting DM early in September, DH at home, not only found a car, but arranged for the truck’s sale.  We traveled in our spiffy 2023 Audi A5 to Phoenix and spent an afternoon with DM and WA sister (a nice surprise!) who was visiting, spent the night at a niece’s home and in the morning with niece, flew to Milwaukee (1st class seats on Southwest… 😁). Watched the Packers manage a win, 18-17 🙂, drove along the west side of Lake Michigan, shopped at Piggly Wiggly, and watched a Brewer game. Beautiful state, friendly people, proud to visit the land of my birth. 
Returned to Phoenix, drove to Tucson for a weekend with brother and sil, enjoyed DH’s high school reunion, ate the best Mexican food (home cooked, catered, banquet style, and hole in the wall family restaurant).

Ai-yi-yi! I even shopped at a mall with sil!

Next up, a long weekend in WA with DD and family closing up the Whidbey Island little cabin for the winter. 

Prayers and care for all Dailyites, safe travels to travelers, thanks for the Tromso information. We will visit Tromso on a b2b2b2b cruise in the  summer of 2024 as part of celebrating 50 years of “wedded bliss”. 
IMG_0103.thumb.jpeg.4c1d6a2fef2cd9d6a6dcbefaee70effc.jpeg

IMG_0140.jpeg

• Like 23

Good morning all!

We'll be having some warm, sunny days for awhile, looking forward to that!  DH will do the 2nd application of blackberry killer into the woods behind our fence, and also on the Cottonwood shoots from the trees that have been cut down back there.  They grow like weeds 😞  The first application did a good job, but those blackberry vines take more than one.

We should do something nice every day, I've never been good at or enjoyed most poetry, and teachers deserve more than a day of recognition -- there are at least 4 teachers in our family (not me, though, I was never led in that direction) 😉 

I'll pass on the meal but would love to try the drink and wine.  Have been to Norway but not Tromso.  Thank you Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the great photos. 

@luvtoride Thanks for posting the article.  I think seasoned cruisers could add a lot to the list!  Three I can think of off the top of my head:  Rudeness to the stewards, slamming your cabin door (on our last cruise we had "slammers" on both sides of us and it literally shook our cabin) 😡 and the last people to arrive at an elevator pushing ahead of everyone.  I'm sure I could think of more!

Annie @marshhawk For your cats' sakes I'm glad you aren't going to have that friend cat sit this time.  It brought back memories of when our neighbor hired pet sitters -- we knew they weren't doing a good job.  One pet sitter even said to me "oh, I wondered why the food was never eaten!!"  (the cat had gotten over the fence and couldn't get back.  She never even checked to see where he was) 😞  Other neighbors and I offered to pet sit for FREE but she didn't want to "bother us" so paid people who didn't do a good job.  So good for you!

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser I didn't know that we need a prescription for the RSV vaccine here in the US -- we got ours a few days ago and no mention of that.  Could it be they charged Tricare (they do all our meds)?  We've never had to pay for or have a prescription for any of the vaccines.   

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I don't think you need a prescription for the RSV vaccine in the U.S., if you are in a group for which it's intended: adults over 60, those who are pregnant, and young children.

HOWEVER, the recommendation is for "shared decision-making," meaning that you're supposed to consult your health-care provider. As far as I can tell, a pharmacy won't ask you to prove that you did.

"Adults 60 years and older should talk with their health care provider about whether RSV vaccination is right for them. There is no maximum age for getting RSV vaccination. RSV vaccine is given as a single dose."

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/rsv/index.html

One other thing to consider is that, because it goes to Medicare Part D, not Part B, your Part D plan may not cover it in full. As it's a new, brand-name drug, my plan will have it in Tier I and I haven't met the deductible this year, there will be a large co-pay, like there was for Shingrix.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I don't think you need a prescription for the RSV vaccine in the U.S., if you are in a group for which it's intended: adults over 60, those who are pregnant, and young children.

HOWEVER, the recommendation is for "shared decision-making," meaning that you're supposed to consult your health-care provider. As far as I can tell, a pharmacy won't ask you to prove that you did.

"Adults 60 years and older should talk with their health care provider about whether RSV vaccination is right for them. There is no maximum age for getting RSV vaccination. RSV vaccine is given as a single dose."

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/rsv/index.html

I got the RSV on the day I went in for the flu shot as an "add on" - no problem. And no one asked if I had discussed it with my doctor.

Susan

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser I didn't know that we need a prescription for the RSV vaccine here in the US -- we got ours a few days ago and no mention of that.  Could it be they charged Tricare (they do all our meds)?  We've never had to pay for or have a prescription for any of the vaccines.   

We both have Tricare for Life and we did not need to pay out of pocket for any of the 3 vaccines. 

• Like 11

28 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I think seasoned cruisers could add a lot to the list!  Three I can think of off the top of my head:  Rudeness to the stewards, slamming your cabin door (on our last cruise we had "slammers" on both sides of us and it literally shook our cabin) 😡 and the last people to arrive at an elevator pushing ahead of everyone.  I'm sure I could think of more!

My top one would be starting political discussions with strangers. It has happened to me twice. Once just a (possibly drunk) British passenger at a shared dinner table carrying on about American politics, once several different passengers, all from the U.S., starting to yell at me the moment they learned where I lived.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

My doctor recommended the pneumonia shot for seniors, check, the flu shot, check, no mention of the RSV shot, when I asked about the Covid booster, she said they "don't have it, and it will cost me at Walgreens", and she recommended a shingles series, after the cruise, again not covered, and a tetanus shot. Now.  I asked her if she was worried that some old iron church steeple was going to fall on me.   I am pretty sure if one did, a tetanus shot  would be the least of my concerns.

Today is one of those 8 hour work days, that I can work with.  Work two hours, off two hours, work four hours off two hours, work for two hours, watch Midsomer Murders, go to bed.  And about dinner, I forgot to take the meat out of the freezer, so I guess it's a run over to Popeyes for dinner. Or fast food fish!  Yum.

@Cruising-alongThank you for that moral support that I needed.  When someone says to you, how many cats do you have after they have been feeding them for 20 days? we were a bit concerned. Well, concerned a whole lot!  And the fact that he has been caring for them for the last 10 years.....

I do hope that they forgive us, but I coudnt turn down that offer.  Donna will feed them twice a day, she will follow directions, she does feed the strays too, and she knows we only have 3 who live indoors.

I'm glad that @rafinmdmade it to terminal 30 !, have a great cruise part 2 Roy

@Quartzsite Cruiserplease send rain this way! (not that the driveway needs to collapse more, but it is VERY dry here.

hobbies-leisure-rain_dance-mayan-dance_ritual-golf-golfers-jmp080327_low.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We both have Tricare for Life and we did not need to pay out of pocket for any of the 3 vaccines. 

Ditto!  So thankful.

14 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

My top one would be starting political discussions with strangers. It has happened to me twice. Once just a (possibly drunk) British passenger at a shared dinner table carrying on about American politics, once several different passengers, all from the U.S., starting to yell at me the moment they learned where I lived.

That would bother me too -- a lot.  Hasn't happened to us, but there's always a first time.

11 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@Cruising-alongThank you for that moral support that I needed.  When someone says to you, how many cats do you have after they have been feeding them for 20 days? we were a bit concerned. Well, concerned a whole lot!  And the fact that he has been caring for them for the last 10 years.....

I do hope that they forgive us, but I coudnt turn down that offer.  Donna will feed them twice a day, she will follow directions, she does feed the strays too, and she knows we only have 3 who live indoors.

Any time Annie!  You made the right decision. It may take time, but they will forgive you and I do hope they take you up on your dinner offer (very generous of you!)  I can't tell you how upset I was when I saw how little my neighbor's pet sitter was doing.  My neighbor was upset when I told her too (yes, I did tell her).  I loved that cat (RIP) and it was upsetting.  He was elderly and so sweet.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just dropping in to say hi from Amsterdam.

IMG_1937.thumb.jpeg.3efc3f953350536da8f1f6281a4b5bf3.jpeg

IMG_1938.thumb.jpeg.c6460b8f8361e74e533fea993d0a9766.jpeg

IMG_1939.thumb.jpeg.263b9da72f6924ce09063693f2689a8e.jpeg
I will see if I can catch up but it might be another day.  Busy day and a bit weary.

Still in one piece (miracle of miracles).

Prayers for all those that need them and cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Best wishes to all

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Along with two cruising friends, and to celebrate the birthday of one friend, we did b2b cruises on Marco Polo.  On August 21, 2005, we docked in Tromso on a wet and rainy day.  Even with the less than desirable weather, DH and I saw quite a bit of Tromso and enjoyed our day.  Unfortunately, on the rest of our Norway cruises, Tromso was not on the itinerary.  I'm hoping to get back there sometime.

Tromso from the Marco Polo

IMG_5624.thumb.JPG.0a282368d62f38fbd656def74ae0b7e9.JPG

IMG_5625.thumb.JPG.6103b1269760bda7147d7b7276040351.JPG

MS Polstjerna is Norway's best preserved sealing ship.  It is owned by the Tromso University Museum.

IMG_5638.thumb.JPG.8bd8e5caae2b3b21d4b11fd3ee3014e3.JPG

This building is Polaria, an artic adventure center.

IMG_5641.thumb.JPG.0b0f0ea9262e055521dca33b8921b11c.JPG

Tromso Kunsfforening is the oldest art institution in Northern Norway.

IMG_5643.thumb.JPG.ff2422e107776a9cd23a1053344d2750.JPG

One of many streets in Tromso

IMG_5644.thumb.JPG.2981f946bd5e72b356adf00dc215ab4a.JPG

The traditionally built wooden town hall

IMG_5649.thumb.JPG.0da386601131bf957c6b53917049b45f.JPG

The Mariner statue with the Artic Cathedral in the background across the water.

IMG_5650.thumb.JPG.079abc91a5be34d2c77ab1830388ac07.JPG

There was a display of old steam powered vehicles, and DH wanted a closer look.

IMG_5651.thumb.JPG.ab6bfe3d32333b90d0095933e03d0fbc.JPG

The view from the Artic Cathedral side.  By the time we made it to the Cathedral, it was locked, so we only got to look through a window in the door.

IMG_5654.thumb.JPG.66e734204851e02df672a23a2bd5a9e6.JPG

IMG_5663.thumb.JPG.98ced8bc947d963bfa80f2e0a02a867c.JPG

IMG_5666.thumb.JPG.94d45d543f8f94cc71d08687be93cc5a.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  I'm having to use my phone as our internet is down. 😒 The phone company has been burying fiber optic cable in the area.  We suspect they either cut something or are in the process of hooking something up.  At least, the cell phone is working.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We'll be having some warm, sunny days for awhile, looking forward to that!  DH will do the 2nd application of blackberry killer into the woods behind our fence, and also on the Cottonwood shoots from the trees that have been cut down back there.  They grow like weeds 😞  The first application did a good job, but those blackberry vines take more than one.

We should do something nice every day, I've never been good at or enjoyed most poetry, and teachers deserve more than a day of recognition -- there are at least 4 teachers in our family (not me, though, I was never led in that direction) 😉 

I'll pass on the meal but would love to try the drink and wine.  Have been to Norway but not Tromso.  Thank you Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the great photos. 

@luvtoride Thanks for posting the article.  I think seasoned cruisers could add a lot to the list!  Three I can think of off the top of my head:  Rudeness to the stewards, slamming your cabin door (on our last cruise we had "slammers" on both sides of us and it literally shook our cabin) 😡 and the last people to arrive at an elevator pushing ahead of everyone.  I'm sure I could think of more!

Annie @marshhawk For your cats' sakes I'm glad you aren't going to have that friend cat sit this time.  It brought back memories of when our neighbor hired pet sitters -- we knew they weren't doing a good job.  One pet sitter even said to me "oh, I wondered why the food was never eaten!!"  (the cat had gotten over the fence and couldn't get back.  She never even checked to see where he was) 😞  Other neighbors and I offered to pet sit for FREE but she didn't want to "bother us" so paid people who didn't do a good job.  So good for you!

Our pharmacist told me about needing a prescription.  The Medicare site listed it under Part D.  I think some of the states might have added restrictions.  Even GoodRx had something about it being administered in medical settings and no price listed.  It always seems confusing when new vaccines roll out.

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Paul, I totally agree.  One cruise, since the three couples at the table were from Arizona and Texas, one woman thought politics and religion would be safe topics.  While both states were considered red at the time, both have several blue areas.  The first and last night were tense.  Fortunately, the other nights we stayed with safe topics.

56 minutes ago, kazu said:

Just dropping in to say hi from Amsterdam.

IMG_1937.thumb.jpeg.3efc3f953350536da8f1f6281a4b5bf3.jpeg

IMG_1938.thumb.jpeg.c6460b8f8361e74e533fea993d0a9766.jpeg

IMG_1939.thumb.jpeg.263b9da72f6924ce09063693f2689a8e.jpeg
I will see if I can catch up but it might be another day.  Busy day and a bit weary.

Still in one piece (miracle of miracles).

Prayers for all those that need them and cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Best wishes to all

Jacqui, I'm happy you arrived safely, and in one piece.  Enjoy Amsterdam.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Happy Thursday everybody , today a different story from sailingdutchy 

Fall time has arrived in SW Ontario so a few pics from farmingdutchy , the gardens are empty and I am well on my way to get them ready for spring once the snow has melted . This is just one on my gardens , I have used the fallen leafs to keep the pathways free of weeds next year .

image.thumb.jpeg.139338dc06a8b4d6975a937f87ad6882.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ee79e9f8b5c3ff9a9f42929b04795e86.jpeg

Today the skies are grey but yesterday it was brilliant in our woods and love to share it with you.

image.thumb.jpeg.50c738c8162791771f0f7038199309f2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.03f155e2ce3f94f4f77b588ae75b9a25.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.930f2cfbf5c1d6e87be2261f70b5f0f7.jpeg

Across the road the feed corn is ripening and drying 

image.thumb.jpeg.5690452d559fe847eb5c1b82fa3d2458.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3900a5f5854856bc1979a13ab5777567.jpeg

Oh Canada ......

image.thumb.jpeg.02f02dd32f0ac59871ab0b1e9b510407.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a69e62a855100430f846cec889008dd2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.276d8a5fe4fd5914eae116cfed0d1295.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8eb1c48a93ca856e89d3e74a0af9c46f.jpeg

In a few days it is Canadian Thanksgiving , yes we are earlier than you folks below the 49th Parallel because Thanksgiving is a harvest festival and we have to do that earlier than you’ll below the 49th Parallel before the snow flies . So this year it is on Monday Oct 9 , 2023 . 

……………and guess what we already have a turkey in the freezer that DMIL at 97 will be preparing for us on the weekend so we do not have to get one of these guys that just came to visit us today , all 9 of them ………

image.thumb.jpeg.076c8a17f66748cc6305c2c1dbd657cc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d4a1aed8d367b34039d5ebb5022bebad.jpeg

Have a beautiful day everybody ………..got to do some last minute stuff for our next cruise coming up soon ! 

Tony 😍
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 2

When we still has our two Dachshunds, we were very lucky.  They had been as much the DDs dogs as ours.  The girls, mainly older DD, would take care of them.  We'd take the dogs to Austin, which they loved.  We knew the were in good, loving hands, and we didn't worry about the DDs or the dogs.

Lenda

• Like 12

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

As the Fall season progresses we are prepared for Canada’s winter fertilization of area with the migration of the Canadian Geese. What we were not expecting was smoke from Canada’s wildfires.

Canadagoose.thumb.jpg.db37df36f39d89811eef2cb7a8b97e65.jpg(Not that all Canada geese are Canadian.)

• Like 6
  • Haha 11

6 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:
Happy Thursday everybody , today a different story from sailingdutchy 

Fall time has arrived in SW Ontario so a few pics from farmingdutchy , the gardens are empty and I am well on my way to get them ready for spring once the snow has melted . This is just one on my gardens , I have used the fallen leafs to keep the pathways free of weeds next year .

image.thumb.jpeg.139338dc06a8b4d6975a937f87ad6882.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ee79e9f8b5c3ff9a9f42929b04795e86.jpeg

Today the skies are grey but yesterday it was brilliant in our woods and love to share it with you.

image.thumb.jpeg.50c738c8162791771f0f7038199309f2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.03f155e2ce3f94f4f77b588ae75b9a25.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.930f2cfbf5c1d6e87be2261f70b5f0f7.jpeg

Across the road the feed corn is ripening and drying 

image.thumb.jpeg.5690452d559fe847eb5c1b82fa3d2458.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3900a5f5854856bc1979a13ab5777567.jpeg

Oh Canada ......

image.thumb.jpeg.02f02dd32f0ac59871ab0b1e9b510407.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a69e62a855100430f846cec889008dd2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.276d8a5fe4fd5914eae116cfed0d1295.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8eb1c48a93ca856e89d3e74a0af9c46f.jpeg

In a few days it is Canadian Thanksgiving , yes we are earlier than you folks below the 49th Parallel because Thanksgiving is a harvest festival and we have to do that earlier than you’ll below the 49th Parallel before the snow flies . So this year it is on Monday Oct 9 , 2023 . 

……………and guess what we already have a turkey in the freezer that DMIL at 97 will be preparing for us on the weekend so we do not have to get one of these guys that just came to visit us today , all 9 of them ………

image.thumb.jpeg.076c8a17f66748cc6305c2c1dbd657cc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d4a1aed8d367b34039d5ebb5022bebad.jpeg

Have a beautiful day everybody ………..got to do some last minute stuff for our next cruise coming up soon ! 

Tony 😍

Great pictures, Tony.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My thoughts on RSV vaccine may different than some but here it goes.. RSV is a nasty respiratory virus that causes congestion and horrible cough that lasts 4 to 6 weeks. The very young ( which I cared for ) and us senior citizens have the hardest time with it. As I sit here coughing with my asthma I am more convince I will be well getting the shot even if I have to pay for it. I spend thousands of dollars on my cruises I sure what to enjoy them.  Now off my soap box. I plan to get all three RSV,Flu and COVID if available in 2 weeks. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

On board and finally on the internet but unpacking is next.

Roy

Never been on the Crystal board before Roy so I will check it out and hope Crystal are as good as you remember and you have a great cruise.

Graham.

• Like 8

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Every day should be do something nice day. I'm no poet. I salute teachers, including my dearly departed DM. Interesting quote. I'll pass on the meal, drink and wine. I haven't been to Tromso. 4 interesting days.

It's currently 81F and sunny. The last of these really pretty days I think. Well, yesterday was a mixed bag. The new eyeglasses seem ok, and my bloodwork was fairly normal. BFF came to pick me up for dinner carrying roses. I said to him that we'd agreed on no gifts. He didn't consider the flowers a gift, lol, so I have a dozen beautiful pink roses. I had a nice dinner of steak, baked sweet potato and a salad. Unfortunately like the last time I ate out, I had bad intestinal issues from the time I got home until this morning. I had specifically tried to eat sort of plain things. I've sent a message to my GI person. In addition, I was awakened twice during the wee hours with leg pain. On a good note, my eye exam this afternoon regarding the uveitis showed all quiet in the eyes. Again, thanks for all the Birthday good wishes yesterday. 

@StLouisCruisers I was happy to read that Scott has shown improvement. That's wonderful about DD's former students sending those emails of appreciation. Lovely Tromso photos.

@rafinmd On to your Serenity cruise!

@luvtoride I had to look up what ROMEO stood for, lol.

@smitty34877 I do hope the new aide works out.

@RMLincoln I hope DH's bloodwork reports are ok. And that you both have minimal side effects from your vaccines. Lots of brownie making going on at your house!

@Smmessineo A wonderful sentiment about how doing something nice can be small and not cost a thing.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos from Tromso. I scheduled for the RSV vaccine online at my pharmacy. No mention of a prescription. I'm going to check if there's a charge.

@dfish Hmm, I didn't know Social Security had those type of rules. That sucks.

@marshhawk That cat sitter sounds like a piece of work, using your stuff while at your house, and not coming and feeding the cats as he should! Nice of Donna to make the offer. I do hope you find joy in your life again.

@Haljo1935 I hope the shoulder is less sore soon. How nice that you were nominated for recognition as a Compassionate Leader! Congrats.

@luvteaching Enjoy the day with DM.

@Seasick Sailor Yay to feeling fine! 

@Norseh2o Wow, you've been busy! Enjoy the Audi A5; I'm jealous.

@kazu Thanks for stopping in, and lovely photos. Enjoy Amsterdam!

@sailingdutchy Nice garden area, but I bet it's a lot of work. The changing colors of the trees are very pretty. 

@mamaofami I hope everything is ok with you and Sam.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 4