Israel Conflict - Suez Canal

gordylad

We are due to sail from Rome soon [end Oct] through the Suez canal stopping at Jordon then on to Dubai. Concerns are being raised about the safety of the region due to the current Israel conflict.

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks

Your biggest concern in southern Jordan should be pickpockets and the usual tourist crime. As always, these nations find their fair share of terrorists but the State Department has not elevated Jordan in the travel advisories. The Israel/Palestine issues should have no impact.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, gordylad said:

We are due to sail from Rome soon [end Oct] through the Suez canal stopping at Jordon then on to Dubai. Concerns are being raised about the safety of the region due to the current Israel conflict.

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks

Suez Canal is in Egypt, far away from the conflict and not an issue at the moment. If the Suez Canal would close the World‘s economy will indeed have bigger problems than interruption of some cruises..

• Like 6

1 hour ago, gordylad said:

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks

Check the roll calls for these sailings, being discussed there.

The Suez Canal sailings will ultimately steely be determined by whether or not the ships will be insured by their carriers. At this time things “should” be fine, but the world will have to see how things intensify in the coming weeks.

3 hours ago, hcat said:

surprised no warnings on Dubai.. 

have been issues with  airport security should not affect you.

Why would Dubai be a concern in the current situation in Israel with Hamas?  It's about as far away from Israel as you can get and still be in the Middle East. And the only problem at the airport was limited to special  security measures for Israeli aircraft. AFAIK, that matter was settled a year ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mom says said:

Why would Dubai be a concern in the current situation in Israel with Hamas?  It's about as far away from Israel as you can get and still be in the Middle East. And the only problem at the airport was limited to special  security measures for Israeli aircraft. AFAIK, that matter was settled a year ago.

I believe the op is more worried about going though the Suez and porting in Jorden since it is beside Israel 

I sure hope you get to see everything as planned. We did a similar cruise and Petra blew our minds. We also stayed in Dubai for a few days at the end of the cruise which, taking everything into consideration, made the cruise our best cruise ever.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

There was a recent US  news story re:  dubai detaining a  US student for many months on alleged questionable  grounds...she was on a pass through flight home from elsewhere...not kind to women going thru airport sec.. I did not pay  full mind to the story as I have no travel plans to go there....but it caught my eye!

nothing to do with Israel!

1 hour ago, hcat said:

There was a recent US  news story re:  dubai detaining a  US student for many months on alleged questionable  grounds...she was on a pass through flight home from elsewhere...not kind to women going thru airport sec.. I did not pay  full mind to the story as I have no travel plans to go there....but it caught my eye!

nothing to do with Israel!

google..lots of entries

The young college student just returned to New York City after five months of detention in the United Arab Emirates. Her release commutes a sentence of one year's imprisonment in Dubai's notorious prisons, on nebulous charges of touching or 'assaulting and insulting' an airport security woman.2 days ago

On 10/7/2023 at 2:14 PM, CruiseMrB said:

In the immediate short term, both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean have cancelled port calls in Israel for at least today and tomorrow. 

We took a train to Jerusalem via Tel Aviv 2020 from the port of Haifa on our own. I am not surprised the ships are cautious going through the canal area. I am surprised Israel was caught off guard as a train load of kids with military arms was common. 

Edited by rtdiva

On 10/7/2023 at 12:29 PM, Saab4444 said:

Suez Canal is in Egypt, far away from the conflict and not an issue at the moment. If the Suez Canal would close the World‘s economy will indeed have bigger problems than interruption of some cruises..

Other than Israeli tourists shot and killed on the street in Alexandria Egypt.

The issue as said will be if ships can get insurance to transit the war zone that includes the Nile Delta 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Other than Israeli tourists shot and killed on the street in Alexandria Egypt.

The issue as said will be if ships can get insurance to transit the war zone that includes the Nile Delta 

This shooting happened after my post and do you really know how ship insurance works? All cargo goes through the canal. Egypt is not in war with Israel.

Edited by Saab4444
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

This shooting happened after my post and do you really know how ship insurance works? All cargo goes through the canal. Egypt is not in war with Israel.

Do I know how ship insurance works?  I know that insurers can restrict where ships can go and rates are dependent on risk.  Going through a war zone would entail higher risk.  On the ocean a war zone typically extends some miles out to sea.  Alexandra is quite close to Gaza.

Of course ships and cargo go through the Suez Canal.  Any restrictions?  I do not know, but think that is why the US is moving a Navy task force to the area.  That makes me think - not a good place for a cruise ship.

Cruise ships are very different from cargo ships in their risk tolerance.  

Gaza borders Egypt and currently that is the only exit open.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

the war zone that includes the Nile Delta 

Who sez?  Who has established a nexus between Hamas and the event in Alexandria?  Alexandria is 245 miles (as the crow flies, no less) from Gaza---that's close?

Edited by jwlane

On 10/7/2023 at 10:05 PM, hcat said:

The young college student just returned to New York City after five months of detention in the United Arab Emirates.

Ok, let me add some perspective to this story.

1. We do not know what kind of clothing she was wearing and if it conformed to Muslim mortality codes. One of the photographs of her shows her sitting at a table in a dress that exposes her cleavage and portions of her breasts.  Why would she provide that provocative photo to the media to attach to an article regarding this incident?!? (NOTE:  I only point this out because I lived and worked in that part of the world and have personally experienced attitudes of some American women who, after I suggested they dress more conservatively, insisted on wearing exercise shorts split at the sides and runners' T-Shirts to walk around Dubai and it's Gold Market.  Those women were police officers from Jacksonville, FL there to participate in the International Police Olympics. They told me they were in the Dubai at the invitation of the Government and that if the locals didn't like what they were wearing it was just too bad.  That is just a single illustration of an its' all about me its' a mindset some people have wherever they travel. This would include Muslims traveling to western countries and trying to impose their beliefs on citizens of whatever country they are visiting.

2. She was wearing a compression device that wrapped around her waist.  According to comments she made, the compression devise had many pins that had to be latched.  This suggest the devise was wide.  Such devises are common tools used by smugglers and would warrant a follow-up body search if detected by a preboarding X-ray or Customs officials.  A very reasonable reaction.

2. Whatever exchange between her and airport police that happened is going to be a he said, she said exchange.  In this instance, the he said party are the police and their version, sans video evidence supporting her claims, carries more weight than her version of events.

3.  She was not jailed.  Rather, she stayed in a hotel.  There is no mention of her movements being restricted to the hotel; only that she was "banned" from departing the country.

4. The incident occurred on July 14th and the articles I read were dated in early October...the New York Post article is dated Oct 2nd.  No dated of release was mentioned in the articles I read.  One article stated she spent 2-months in detention which correlates with the dates of the incident and the Post's article.  Other articles claim she spent 5-months, months on end, and several months under detention, all of which are unfounded and inflated. 

Gee, I only reported what the news reported ..which did not blame the victim in any reports I saw...You obviously have made a deeper study of the incident. 

We avoid places that could be problematic for any reason. including.ethnicity, being citizens of US or otherwise. 

As a conservative dressing older woman with big breasts, I was aggressively touched quite roughly ( and unnecessarily) by a female security person at the Rome boarding gate.  I  just  had to let it go but it was an abuse of authority!

• Like 2

The security officer in the Dubai case wanted a Civil settlement for the  student touching her arm  

My only point was to be careful when one travels... Hopefully, those going to Eqypt will be safe!

Santos-ht-er-231003_1696364694359_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

IN answer to the OP....your cruise line is monitoring the situation in the area. There is a possibility that itinerary will be changed but no one really can say...right now it is clear Israel intends to respond with a major attack and as to whether this will get other countries involved..no one knows now. You just have to stay tuned. good luck. YOur fellow cruisers on the roll call are discussing this very topic...you might follow that.

Edited by kathy49
more info
  • Thanks 1