Is White and Gold Night on a Formal Night?

Projunior

I was wondering if White and Gold night takes place on a formal night. Searching for an answer yielded conflicting results with some people saying yes and others saying it's a separate night. Can any recent cruisers clarify?

It's on a formal night but not many dress that way. Most didn't know about it or wanted to do it.

I can clarify, I was on 4 b2b's to Alaska. On a 10-day, 2nd formal night. On longer cruisers

assume can be on the 2nd or 3rd.

3 hours ago, Projunior said:

I was wondering if White and Gold night takes place on a formal night. Searching for an answer yielded conflicting results with some people saying yes and others saying it's a separate night. Can any recent cruisers clarify?

It usually is on the formal night that they have the Captain’s welcome party and the champagne waterfall.  Now, that is up to the Captain, but can be the 1st or 2nd formal night.  Not many dress in white and gold. 
It really varies on different ships.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I've seen little interest in White and Gold night on recent cruises.  It may fade away.

Not if Princess is making money on it.

As long as they don't make everyone participate (enforced dress code), it doesn't seem to bother many of the other cruisers. 

2 hours ago, MacMadame said:

How do they do that? 😕

And I hope they change it for my cruise as I look bad in white. (Whenever I wear it, people ask me if I'm feeling well.)

I'm going for a black and gold dress for that same reason 🙂

• Like 4

5 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

How exactly is Princess making money off White and Gold nights?

By selling upgraded wine selections, photo's and Specialty restaurant attendance, similar to formal evenings. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MissP22 said:

By selling upgraded wine selections, photo's and Specialty restaurant attendance, similar to formal evenings. 

Interesting.  Never thought of that since those aren't on my radar. 

Another way to separate cruisers and their money. 😁

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I've seen little interest in White and Gold night on recent cruises.  It may fade away.

I think Princess doesn't advertise it well.  I never even noticed it on previous cruises but looked at the emails that came in about 2 weeks prior to them.  There was just a small announcement of it.  I completely missed it.  It was mentioned in the Patter on a couple of my cruises but not all.  Now that more people are hearing about it, maybe it will actually pick up?  My friend and I plan to wear gold on our cruise in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 2

On 10/9/2023 at 1:00 AM, Projunior said:

On my previous cruises this year, it was the night of the Party in the Piazza  which was the 2nd formal night or the Dress to Impress night on short cruises.  On a different thread on this topic, one cruiser posted the itinerary from the 1st day Patter.  It actually had the W&G night the night before the 2nd formal night.  So it isn't always consistent. 

• Like 1

Recently of the Crown and while it was mentioned in the Patter, there was no description about what it meant.  Quite honestly, although I wasn't specifically looking for it, I didn't notice any change in the attire that passengers were wearing that evening.

• Like 1

We were on the Diamond cruising around Japan in July. If you’re curious about some of the things that go on during the White and Gold event (aka The Love Boat Piazza Party), I posted some pictures starting at post #189 on page 8 on my below Live From thread.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2947138-live-from-the-diamond-july-10-27-17-day-b2b-around-japan-and-korea/

Edited by Ken the cruiser

18 hours ago, MissP22 said:

But they could do that with any theme.

I read that White & Gold was started in '22 to celebrate some Princess-themed reality show that I had never heard of. They broadcast 4 episodes on CBS before the plug was pulled and the remaining episodes were dumped on Paramount+. The show was not renewed. 

Therefore, I would shocked if they don't pick a new theme sometime in the next 6 months. But definitely before my 2025 cruise. 😉

On 10/9/2023 at 7:02 PM, SargassoPirate said:

On our Sky Princess cruise only the entertainment staff were dressed up, I saw no one amongst the passengers, so I predict it will die once the White and Gold night party night finishes its run.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MacMadame said:

I read that White & Gold was started in '22 to celebrate some Princess-themed reality show that I had never heard of. They broadcast 4 episodes on CBS before the plug was pulled and the remaining episodes were dumped on Paramount+. The show was not renewed. 

Therefore, I would shocked if they don't pick a new theme sometime in the next 6 months. But definitely before my 2025 cruise. 😉

True, but they still like to make people believe that that particular night is "special". 

I did watch part of episode # one, and it was so bad I had to return to the nightly news. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, MacMadame said:

We must be one of the few. We watched the entire season 1 on Paramount+ commercial free and enjoyed every episode commercial free. However, we were also on that 21-day cruise out of Barcelona where they filmed a lot of it onboard. So there is that. 😂

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 10:48 PM, Projunior said:

Curiously enough, Princess sent an email today that included this which answers the question...

GoldWhite.jpg

I got this email as well. 
it never happened on my 7 day Royal Princess cruise. We did not have a 2 nd formal night or lobster, either.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve heard they dumped the White and Gold night. There is no longer any mention on their web site. It’s now a “I love this party” night. Possibly 80’s themed??? (Or I might be smashing two stupid theme nights together - not that white and gold was any better, but I’m not happy I spent money on a white dress, removed the tags and washed it, and now have no use for it. Who the heck wears white and gold?)

IMG_1738.png