The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday October 13th, 2023

richwmn

Today is International Skeptics Day , Silly Sayings Day, and World Sight Day

It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.--E.E. Cummings

Meal Suggestion for today - Cod with Romesco Sauce, Hazelnuts, Lemon, and Parsley
Drink of the Day - Beam And Hops
Wine of the Day - 1895 Verga La Storia Rosso Toscana
Destination of the Day - Corfu Island, Kerkyra, Greece

Today in History:
1884 International Meridian Conference in Washington DC establishes Greenwich in London, England as the universal time meridian of longitude
2016 American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan is awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature
2019 Simone Biles becomes the most decorated gymnast in history when she wins record 25th medal at the World Championships in Stuttgart, Germany

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Puerto Vallarta, Mexico eta 10-15

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Nawiliwili (Kauai), Hawaii eta 10-14

Nieuw Amsterdam

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala 0800-1700

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Katakolon (Olympia), Greece eta 10-14

Noordam

At Sea Destination Hilo, Hawaii eta 10-14

Oosterdam

Mykonos, Greece

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Ponta Delgada, Azores eta 10-14

Volendam

At Sea Destination Tabuaeran, Fanning Islands eta 10/18

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Manta, Ecuador eta 10-14

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Funchal, Madeira eta 10-18

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Yokohama, Japan eta 10-15

1013World.thumb.png.f805e4ae295b7861c6431740456fc35f.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 17

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Baby Murphy post-surgery, on ventilator

HAL Sailer’s DH hospitalized

Mamaofami’s Sam hospitalized

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DH Scott hospitalized, post-arrest, with complications

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine and Israel

From the Rotation:

Cruising-along’s DBIL with prostate cancer, now with a treatment plan

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DB Mark with bile duct cancer

Haljo1945 with a frozen shoulder, PT for now and eventual surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome home Rafinmd

Lady Hudson’s DH Bill improving from bronchitis

Tbay’s DH recovered from pneumonia

Cruising sister’s asthma improving

HAL Sailer’s DH improved, with possible transfer to inpatient rehab

Mamaofami’s DH Sam hospitalized, with possible transfer to inpatient rehab

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for Marshhawk (Carnival Pride Oct 18 to Oct 28, Oct 28 to Nov 12)

6 days for Lady Hudson (Liberty of the Seas Oct 19 to Oct 28, Canada & NE)

7 days for Vict0riann (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell)

7 days for Sailingdutchy (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell)

Kazu (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), 0106 (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), St Pete Cruiser (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), Live4cruises (Westerdam to Oct 28, N.Pacific crossing & Japan Collector), Horizon Chaser 1957 (Eurodam to Oct 28, Panama Canal)and Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific)

• Like 22
  • Thanks 18

Good morning friends!  It is damp outside and 59F.  We only expect a high of 64, cloudy with some afternoon showers possible.  Still any day you wake up is a good day!  Thank you Rich @richwmn for your Daily and Fleet Report for this Friday the 13th. 

Apparently it is International Skeptics Day but I'm not entirely sure about that. 😉  I hope I don't say too many silly things today, but most importantly it is World Sight Day.  All of us should be grateful for our sight and not take it for granted.  I'll pass on the cod dish, the Beam and Hops (?) and the wine.  Three interesting days in history.  Even though I wouldn't partake in the food and beverage I thank Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports on them.

Prayers for so many.  The people on the Care list, especially those with chronic pain.  The people of Israel and Ukraine, my DB, my friend Susan's DH Scott and DB Mark, and especially for dear little Baby Murphy who has such an uncertain future.🙏  But we must remember to celebrate!  Those of us cruising, preparing to or just returning.  Ann @cat shepard for her sister and her own safety from tornadoes.  And even improvement in the health of our Dailyites since we have had some good news there.🎉  Happy wedding anniversary to my DD today.  I hope they celebrate even if it is Friday the 13th.  Don't wait for tomorrow!🥂  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your keeping of the lists for us!  Wonderful job!

The port of the day is Corfu Island, Kerkyra (or Kerkira), Greece.  It was listed here once before on Oct. 2, 2022 spelled as Kerkira.  I'll post the link to that date for you.  I have been there three times (2012 Crown Princess, 2017 Westerdam and 2018 Pacific Princess).  Pictures from the 2017 visit to follow since we had the best weather that trip.  It was August.

We arrived in Kerkira on the island of Corfu, Greece on Aug. 20, 2017 on Westerdam.  It was a pretty day for a change.  We hadn't had good luck weather-wise there before.  But it would be worse on the next visit after this one.  In 2018 we were there on Pacific Princess on Nov. 27 and got totally drenched down to our socks walking back to the ship. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLljeKs24M83EfYYAqi1qR6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503943747

I thought this was a pretty little carriage to take a ride in.  I hope the horse is given numerous breaks though.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKcY7bwbFEEh4hVGgChV7XF?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944067

We walked past the New Fortress built in 1577.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLRsJybS8FhkFPLGYTVZjHu?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944090

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJuM_uGGnEywBO1K9eKHJws?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944098

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJVWCh3nJ4mSXDM_CqBLBg6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944124

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0p88vNLQp88upWKOfOGWl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944167

Not a wide street but it gets the job done.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJAoScNcVN7rwieC-SIZndb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944176

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIETbPee1Tb32THHdZqTocP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944182

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLKHhmVRFvfL4xN5syP2sN6?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944186

Protecting the beautiful produce from the morning sunshine.  I've never seen that done before at a market.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJyw8w6PHlmX_2B4CiTohyf?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944190

But look how perfect it is.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJBG1r1-vlOejaHFiDpeZou?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944195

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKsngsBM3pyVecjjJLUMRZQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944199

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGQdkGNLcOTqdy-QZaT-xE?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944306

The Old Fortress of Kerkira, on the sea, built around 6 A.D.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ-Yg-ZUsJ0cRJD17N0aq4g?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944370

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKFyeMaiPAWvkkgVMpWp3Z4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503944386

We enjoyed this sunny, not wet day in Kerkira.  Here is a photo of a rainbow as we left Kerkira, Corfu in Nov. 2018 after heavy rainfall.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Good luck today everyone!  Have a wonderful day.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Good morning everyone. Sam was released from the hospital to home a few days ago but yesterday he was admitted again. This time he had trouble breathing. My smoke alarm went off at 2:30 AM and I didn’t sleep all night. It’s not going to be a good day.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 26

Good morning and thank you for the Report.

Happy Friday the 13th. 

Another cool morning, only 5°C (41°F).  I guess we'd better get used to this weather, winter is approaching too quickly I think.  We've got a few things to do to put the garden to bed, so I hope it doesn't rain today.

An interesting collection of days, I think.   I like silly sayings, I remember a line from Dr Strangelove (the movie) "you can't fight in here, it's the war room".   World sight is extremely important.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink.  Not sure about the wine.

We were in Corfu many years ago on the Eurodam.  Thanks Sandi @StLouisCruisers for the pictures, they bring back wonderful memories.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a good day.  Stay safe.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today's daily reports.

Sometimes you have to be sceptical but hopefully not very often.

I'm not into silly sayings.

Sight is so important.

We cruised into Corfu and had a nice time.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

• Like 26

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

Happy wedding anniversary to your DD today.

anniversary-happy.gif

Thanks Graham!  I'm going to text them now since she's getting ready to go to work (school) and he is preparing to work now too.  

By the way I just read World Sight Day was yesterday but that's okay, we can celebrate our Gift of Sight any day of the year!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I think we are now just docked, and I leave the ship in about 1 1/2 hours.  Great days to celebrate, and a great quote by Cummings.

I have not been to Corfu.  I love all the days but will especially celebrate Simone Biles.

I'll pass on the Cod.  My alternative is  Chicken Consume, Homemade Mafaldine Pasta, and Roasted Almond Ice cream, my final dinner last night on Crystal Serenity.

dishes12.jpg

Roy

• Like 37

Good Friday morning, and thanks for the Daily and Fleet report!

some good days today.  I am guilty of silly sayings and bad puns.  But if it brings a smile to someone’s face, it’s all good,   Regardless, a little silliness makes my day better. 

National sight day is timely.  For those in the Northwest down through Corpus Christi, you are in for a treat tomorrow morning for the Ring of Fire eclipse. Please protect your Sight with iso. Certified solar glasses.   I’m headed to Lowes this morning for mine.  My city is not in the zone, but will get > 85% of the sun covered. 

prayers and best wishes to all in need - the members in this Daily community, families, friends, and all across the world.

• Like 28

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Quite hazy this morning, but I could see Jupiter & Venus in the early morning sky. More rain is expected today, but the storm is not expected to be as volatile as yesterday’s. Glad we are all safe. 

Vanessa, thank you for all you do. Praying that your medical team has found a solution for your pain.  

Not sure about the gym today. The arm that received the RSV vaccine is still really sore. Needless to say I did not change my smoke detector batteries yesterday.  The only other effect from the three vaccines was for my feet to take forever to warm up in bed. 🤔 Bindi walks, chores, maybe a nap. I also need to ship my Mom’s silver serving tray up to my niece. I never use it. And it took a few attempts before I removed all the tarnish. But it looks gorgeous. 

IMG_1844.jpeg.865bff70457031a17ff6889b38494510.jpeg

IMG_1824.jpeg.6d808b3c9f97890d6bc3936ef02e86f0.jpeg

Bike week starts here on the 19th…..

IMG_1842.jpeg.bafd8e3d4cae319ea6bab83f8fc26b6a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, keeping you, Tana, your families & your support teams in my prayers. @HAL Sailer Melissa, praying DH continues to improve. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

1895 Verga La Storia Rosso Toscana 2019 

I used the 2019 vintage info, since Mr. Suckling reviewed it. This lovely red blend is just begging me to taste it. Consumers love it! A decent number of distributors with online prices starting at $14.99.

Distributor notes

A gorgeous blend of Sangiovese, Cabernet and Merlot. From Italy, this over delivers! Hints of black plums and dark chocolate on the nose. Sumptuous and decadent! Caramel, English toffee, smoky embers with a black cherry cola finish. Full bodied, this paired perfectly with a “supreme” pizza, bacon mac-n-cheese or chicken parmesan. 

2019 vintage Rated 92 points James Suckling -  Super clean aromas and flavors of crushed blackberries and currants. Medium-to full-bodied, with fine, lightly firm tannins and a long, fruit and mineral finish. Not overly complex, but precise. Delicious now, but will hold for a few years yet.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 1

Beam and Hope cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Jim Beam® Original
3/4 part JDK & Sons™ Fleur Elderflower Liqueur
1/4 part Sour Mix
4 partsIPA Beer
(optional) Muddled
Basil Leaves
Garnish with Lemon Wheel

Instructions
In a Collins glass briefly shake Jim Beam®, JDK & Sons™ Fleur Elderflower Liqueur and sour. Top with IPA and stir briefly. Garnish with a lemon wheel. Muddled basil makes an excellent addition to this cocktail.

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 7.39.59 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 16

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here

We have been to Corfu and I will post my phots soon.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.  

- Jack

• Like 30

International Skeptics Day? I don't know......that's really a thing? Seems made-up.

😁😋😂

Thanks for the Fleet Report!

Strength and hope to all those suffering and in pain today.

Edited by Smmessineo
  • Like 20
  • Haha 8

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Another nice day and it sounds like our weekend will be mostly dry for a change.  Today is a busy work day and I started an hour early to prepare for a project next week.  I’m hoping that I can sneak out this afternoon to bleed for next week’s annual checkup with the doctor.  I’m planning on making chicken barley soup for dinner tonight to help clean out the freezer.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.b4aae359ca3f15c0dddaec9f0171875b.png

• Like 31

Good morning,

it was a windy day yesterday and watching DGS play soccer last night did not help my cough. Much better this morning. I am hoping for frost to kill off the pollen but none in sight for the next couple of weeks. Molly really hates my coughing. She gives me dirty looks and moves to the other end of the sofa. She is a weird dog. DGS is off school today so he spent the night. I will have to think of something fun indoors. It is very windy today and I learned my lesson last night. 

@mamaofamiI am sorry to hear about DH’s troubles. I was talking with a friend on how exhausting it was taking care of my DH with all the ups and downs, tests, visits etc.  Everyone tells you to rest  and take care of yourself. I never seemed to find the time. My only advice is to listen to your body and do what you need to do. 

I hope @marshhawkmade it to Rome. Happy cruising to our friends. I really need to work on my next cruise. 

Prayers for those in need. Have a great day. 

• Like 30

Good morning. Just like that and it’s Friday again. Need to get moving today and get my walk in before heading to CVS to get my RSV followed by a much needed haircut.

I received several nice comments last night from folks in our small Bible study group that I led last night. 

@mamaofamiSorry to hear that your Sam is back in the hospital.

Thanks to all who contribute to the Daily. Per sister-in-laws all is well on the Eurodam.

Enjoy the upcoming weekend and stay healthy and safe. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.7784ddeb66187fe33260ba287b1c908a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e62dc5561f10f1b3976cba4c0967c03d.jpegimage.jpeg.612ed38b6f70fb3bdae7317292248007.jpegimage.jpeg.b5ae22972abe7673d6f926ed33fe9da8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6276961cdad3ff37c4117cc18d1d57b8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.46b00e5024efc6483ae62c8232dddcd1.jpegimage.jpeg.1663789b4adab65d9902bc2c28168e20.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 21