Solo travelers looking for room companion.

Joannmutch

1 hour ago, ColeThornton said:

Actually, I believe the CC forum guidelines do not allow for "looking for roommate" type posts.

Hi, you are correct.  There is a solo forum but as for asking for/looking for room mates? That is a No No on here. Too many liability factors (I think).  

But to the OP, my condolences go out to you The solo forum on here is pretty active and has many good threads and suggestion for solo cruisers. You might take a look over there. 

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic, Joannmutch. My condolences on the death of your husband.

While Cruise Critic won't let you find a roommate, there is plenty of information to be found for solo cruisers. Cabins for solos can be affordable, even double cabins for one. I hope the lack of a roommate won't keep you from cruising.

Until about 20 years ago most lines sold shared accommodations - sadly, the state of our civilization now makes that sort of thing dangerous and obsolete.  In any event, I think your best bet would be to seek a travel partner in your home area - possibly through church or some civic group - so you could get to know a potential travel partner before being stuck together for a week or so.

• Like 3

First, sincere sympathies for your loss.

And if (hopefully when) you do start "cruising solo" ... for starters, try to find a ship (or some program) that is geared toward "solo/singles".  That could be because of specific "single cabins", especially if organized together.

And some other lines may not have specific "single areas" but try to find one that does have some sort of social host/hostess who specifically helps to organize activities for singles, be it meal times, on-board activities, or... maybe some excursions (?).

Once you start meeting other singles, there's a much greater likelihood that you'll find someone who, even if not your next BestFriendForever, might become an acquaintance and travel companion.

Also, do look for ships/cruiselines that have special rates/smaller cabins for singles.  That will at least help avoid the 100% "penalty" for sailing single, for starters.  And it's more likely to have other singles on board, for the same reason. 🙂 

Make sure you participate in any group events, even if not specifically for singles (e.g., Meet & Greets).  That's another place to "meet others"... where you may be able to find someone like-minded.

If there are any "singles groups" where you live (church? adult education? etc.), perhaps you could ask if any others are interested in cruising and you could put together a group.  Others may be interested but not know what to do, how to organize something, etc.

You'll meet others interested in cruising, for starters, and some of those may eventually end up being interested in sharing accommodations.

But a reasonable option is the lines that have smaller 'single cabins' so you still have privacy (vs. sharing with someone before you get to know them), but still have the benefit of lower costs and a group of other singles.

Finally, aside from the cabin-sharing, keep in mind that others on the ship, even if part of a couple, might sometimes do things separately, in terms of activities.  And some of those may lead to introductions to single friends, etc.

GC

• Like 3

On 10/16/2023 at 3:06 PM, Joannmutch said:

I love cruising and recently lost my husband to cancer. Is there a way for solo cruisers to find others cruisers in a similar position

Welcome to CC!  As for the question in the title, there are at least three levels to it:

1. Traveling on a cruise with someone
  2. Finding someone on the way to hang out with, eat dinner, go on excursions, etc.
  3. Finding someone... on a more permanent basis - from overnight to "death do you part"

As a solo traveler, I'm not interested in #1, so I trust the advice of my colleagues here and have nothing to add.

On #2, I find it fairly easy to meet people on a cruise to do whatever.  It's also possible to get to know others online.

As for #3, I think the cruise lines are really bad at this when they bother trying - which is almost never. 

As you may know, cruises are mostly set up for couples, with some doing a decent job with families and/or multigenerational groups.  Solos, single or not, are an afterthought on most lines (NCL does throw a little love our way sometimes).  That's not to say that you can't have a good time sailing alone - I've done more than my share of cruises solo and have had a great time on every one.  But it does take effort, a little research, and some entertainment brought from home to fill in the gaps.

I hope you find happiness in the future, whether it involves cruising or not. 🙏

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 5:28 PM, GeezerCouple said:

but try to find one that does have some sort of social host/hostess who specifically helps to organize activities for singles, be it meal times, on-board activities, or... maybe some excursions (?).

The only line that has a reputation for reliably doing this is also the one with the MOST "solo" cabins - NCL.  I've gone on several NCL cruises as a solo and had an absolute BLAST!  There were some fantastic people in the solo group, whom I hung around with for much of those trips.

NCL's two (3?) newest classes of ships - Breakaway, Breakaway Plus and Prima - have dedicated inside Studio cabins (86 on each of the Bliss, Encore and Escape) and lounges (except on the Joy). Plus, NCL has now recategorized over 1000 regular inside, ocean view and balcony cabins fleet-wide as 'solo' cabins.

To provide a slightly different viewpoint, sometimes cruise lines provide regular (not solo) cabins at a reduced solo supplement that makes them about the same cost as a solo cabin — and often with more room.

I also think, in the long run, it’s more important to pick a line with a vibe and itineraries that appeal to you rather than simply looking at lines that cater to solos. As a long time solo traveler, I don’t only want to hang out with solos but rather with anyone who shares similar interests, be it a solo, couple, or family.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

To provide a slightly different viewpoint, sometimes cruise lines provide regular (not solo) cabins at a reduced solo supplement that makes them about the same cost as a solo cabin — and often with more room.

I also think, in the long run, it’s more important to pick a line with a vibe and itineraries that appeal to you rather than simply looking at lines that cater to solos. As a long time solo traveler, I don’t only want to hang out with solos but rather with anyone who shares similar interests, be it a solo, couple, or family.

Hi Cynthia, you are so spot on with this post😀 (but I am not surprised😃).  I never look at marital status....doesn't matter to me if someone is married, divorced, etc....etc....

• Like 2

My condolences.  

Many small agencies offer this service especially if they have a group offering.   Also as mentioned churches, civic organizations such as senior centers.  There are also agencies that specialize in senior travel who also can accommodate match ups including meeting people prior to sailing at a social where you can find someone with whom you are congenial.  If you can afford it the best option may be to seek a group and travel solo cabin  still having the companionship of the group for dining and shore activities 

As one who has always sailed solo, FWIW consider:

1) sailing solo for your first trip, and

2) seek a cruise line that offers a fixed dining and table option so that you will have stable company at dinner. 

Yes, the single supplement is pricey but the entire trip will be a waste if you have an incompatible cabin mate.  Remember that this is not an weekend trip by car and you cannot pack your bags and leave early if things go badly.

When I last sailed two of my table mates were widowed ladies - long time friends who were sharing a cabin.  Later one confided to me that although they often traveled together, this was the first time that they had roomed together.  Long story short, her friend had annoying and disruptive habits at night and she was now going to have to endure another seven days of that while sailing back to their home country. 

• 2 weeks later...

IF you cruise solo - NCL is one of THE BEST lines to do so.  They have Solo Groups where a designated NCL employee gathers the solo travelers before dinner at a bar for a quick head count and meet & greet type gathering with coupons, gifts and prizes, etc. .  THEN they take the group and walk to the dining room and we pass the LONG line of people waiting and we get priority seating. 

It has been an absolute BLAST to be part of this group.  Sharing life and previous cruise experiences, and what you did that day, etc. 

My previous post in this thread is a little outdated now - NCL has now categorized over 1,000 cabins fleet-wide as solo cabins.  This gives some regular inside, OV and balcony rooms this designation and access to the Studio Lounge on ships that have that space.  This may not always be a great price in comparison to a Studio cabin or a non solo cabin in the same category type.

Recent posters are ignoring the topic of this thread, which is “Solo travelers looking for a room companion”; not how to meet people or which lines offer decent single cruiser options.

If you want to share a room on a cruise, you should line one up on your own - cruise lines no longer offer single share deals.  Talk to people you know, check with groups in your community, find your room-mate on your own—- the cruise lines are no longer in that line of work.