Baggage Trouble at Port Canaveral - RCCL no help!

FL-momma

I have you all beat in the ugly department…….I place strips of lime green duct tape on all side of my luggage.  You can easily spot my suitcases 100 yards away!!!😂😂😂

And NO ONE would want suitcases with duct tape on them????😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

I have you all beat in the ugly department…….I place strips of lime green duct tape on all side of my luggage.  You can easily spot my suitcases 100 yards away!!!😂😂😂

When I used to travel for business, I used gray duct tape on my black luggage with an X and always able to see the bag coming down the conveyor.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

LOL...I will have to refer that to "Duck Tape Dave"....and he knows who he is.  😄  @doghog  😄 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

At a glance, I'd say taking the bag was an accident. 

Keeping it -- now that she fully knows it's not hers -- would be theft.  I'd guess it's going to be quite expensive to mail the suitcase -- at least $100.  

Regardless, what can your sister do about it?  Does she even know the name of the South Carolina woman who has it?  She could potentially take the woman to small claims court, but that would be difficult and expensive (assuming you live far away).  She's really at that woman's mercy.  

This is basically what I had said.  Yes it's theft, but what can realistically be done about it?  What jurisdiction would any legal activity fall under, with this incident involving people and actions in multiple states?  This isn't a TV show.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

This is basically what I had said.  Yes it's theft, but what can realistically be done about it?  What jurisdiction would any legal activity fall under, with this incident involving people and actions in multiple states?  This isn't a TV show.

The incident occurred in Cape Canaveral.  I’m not an expert, but I think that is the jurisdiction if the belongings are not returned.  Hopefully the errant passengers will do the right thing and return the luggage they took to its owners.  If not, the OP’s sister could try to file a police report.  She could send a demand letter if she has the name and address.  The couple would probably rather pay the mailing fee than deal with a lawsuit in Florida.  Basically though, I think the OP and her sister need to concentrate their efforts on the people who actually took the luggage rather than blame the porter or Royal Caribbean.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

This happened to me at the airport once.  My bag was not there and all the bags were gone except for one that resembled my bag.  I concluded this bag was the person's that accidentally (but foolishly) took my bag.  I told the airline that I was going to keep their bag to make sure they would return mine.  The airline assured me that the bag would not be released without the owner paying for the return of my bag.

That is what happened as the other party paid to have my bag shipped to me before their bag was released to them.  Seems like a good way to do it.  Of course the airport was local to both parties which makes it easier.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, akcruz said:

And then how did they not check the bag if the porter said the ribbon meant it was damaged?  I would want to know what's wrong with my bag before leaving.  Somebody is making up a story and it's not Royal.

Excellent point. Supposedly this was brand new luggage that Royal damaged but the guest just said ok and took it home? 🤣

• Like 1

19 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Is it really up to the porter to make sure someone has their own bags? I would think it's up to the passenger and not the porter.

I agree but, apparently, the porter fabricated some story when asked about the ribbon. I think that gives him some culpability. He could have simply said are you sure this is your bag?

13 hours ago, island lady said:

Another reason we use really wild print suitcases...have never seen anything like them (in fact Tumi discontinued that print quite soon after).  Actually I think anyone else would be embarrassed to walk out with them.  They are that tacky looking!  😛

Same here!  I hand stencilled stars and circles on all my luggage.  Very distinctive!  Tacky? - definitely.  But I highly prefer my tacky bags and the looks they may generate to putting up with stolen/mistaken luggage and the aggravation that entails.  

• Haha 1

After, on our 3rd cruise ever, DH couldn't find his black bag.  He did find it with a group of bags for some large group.  That was the last black bag he ever had.

In 2015, the luggage tags came off his bag at the Red Hook port.  Took about 30 minutes to find it.  Then, on the way home from the airport we got a call from United that we had the wrong bag.  We were about 15 minutes out so we turned around and brought the other persons bag back and took his.  Now he always checks the luggage tag, even though we now have very distictive locks on them.