Plus and Premium Package threads merged

phoebe2m

10 minutes ago, Navylab said:

If your cruise is port intensive you will probably (I know I would) have a hard time consuming the drinks (15) you are paying for and as such we are going ala carte.

I do not like the inclusion of internet access - I go away on vacation to escape that besides when ashore there are plenty of wifi accessible places to check email etc. If you are on or running a business that is different.

I plan to take wine I purchase pre boarding in Barcelona and pay corkage and hopefully buy bottles in ports of call and pay corkage on them as well.

When on Princess pre covid we bought 'wine packages' but I do not know if that option as available any more

One bottle of wine, plus the corkage fee pays for the entire day of the PLUS 'beverage portion' Package - about $40 after grats/ wifi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, richstowe said:

The incremental cost to Princess of the Wi-Fi is pretty well zero . So yes the profit on drinks is big but on Wi-Fi it's even bigger.

I didn't mention this but yes, the profit on the wifi has to be 95%.  I'm just glad Princess hasn't reached Celebrity wifi pricing yet.  Celebrity can build new ships off their wifi cost alone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I didn't mention this but yes, the profit on the wifi has to be 95%.  I'm just glad Princess hasn't reached Celebrity wifi pricing yet.  Celebrity can build new ships off their wifi cost alone.

What is amazing is that Celebrity can continue to sell it charging as much as they do.  Maybe Princess should do likewise and increase their profits.

26 minutes ago, Bedruthen said:

Do you factor in port days versus sea days? If you have a port intensive cruise and are off the ship on tours etc, can you still fit in the drinking?!

Yes. It's easy enough to have a latte in the morning, grab a few bottles of water for touring and have a glass of wine or two or a nightcap when back aboard. Voila, hit the amount to break even, so to speak. Have a charcuterie board at Vines with my glass of wine and bonus - even more within the break even amount.

With Plus, 2-3 drinks, depending on the drink, covers the "gap* between crew appreciation/WiFi and the leftover $29-27 bucks . Have your medallion shipped, less to drink to break even. Eat a dessert or take a class, voila - even less to drink to break even... 

As always, personal choice. 

• Thanks 3

• Host CJSKIDS changed the title to Plus and Premium Package threads merged
2 hours ago, dream54ing said:

My point is anyone justifying value based on how much profit is made is silly.

I suppose to each his own.  I don't mind someone making a profit off me to stay in business,  but if I think it's excessive, I pause and then decide for myself.  I call it frugal and valuing my money my way, but I understand most on here just call it being cheap.  I've been called worse.  My money, my decision.   Someone else's money, their decision. 

What is coming is revenue based customer bookings.  That will be interesting to navigate.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I suppose to each his own.  I don't mind someone making a profit off me to stay in business,  but if I think it's excessive, I pause and then decide for myself.  I call it frugal and valuing my money my way, but I understand most on here just call it being cheap.  I've been called worse.  My money, my decision.   Someone else's money, their decision. 

What is coming is revenue based customer bookings.  That will be interesting to navigate.

Sorry, but if you go to any land based bar, lounge or restaurant you’ll find exactly the same prices or higher……they certainly are higher here.  If you never dine out or never go out for drinks, especially in a large city, then I understand why you think the prices on Princess are excessive.  

In Toronto, or any big city, 15 alcoholic drinks, not beer, would cost about $300.00 plus tax, plus tip.  Premier package is $60.00 which includes 15 alcoholic beverages, specialty coffees, water, juice, wifi, tips, casual dining, specialty dining, room service, silly desserts, exercise classes and some other stuff.  Still seem excessive to you?  I don’t think so.  If any establishment in any city offered all that for $60.00 per person per day, the lineup would be miles long.  It’s all about perspective.  Don’t buy the popcorn at the movie theatre.  $10.00 for $0.10 worth of popcorn.  Now, that’s excessive!

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, phoebe2m said:

I am curious about my original thread being merged with another thread? I didn't know this was possible and who did it? An Admin? 

Can this thread be closed? 

Thanks for any info. 

Yes, a moderator merged the two.  You could ask for your thread to be deleted, but I don’t know if it’s possible.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, reedprincess said:

$30 doesn't even cover lowest Crew Appreciation amount and the WiFi cost.. (outside those who have a 50% discount).

With the lowest Crew Appreciation at $16, and WiFi for one device at $15 - both per night  - equaling $31 per night: how would a $30 a night package make any sense for Princess?  Have a mini-suite or suite? $17 9r $18 for crew appreciation - driving the amount of $$ spent on drinks, classes, Casual dining, desserts, shipping and so forth to even less ..

I guess it depends on your view of the purpose of "packages".  We've always bought a couple of the coffee cards/packages, and they were a good deal for the consumer if you used them...free brewed coffee, and 15 specialty coffees for around $35-40.  That was a good deal for us, and I assume OK for Princess since they're the ones who set the price.  Maybe it wasn't a good-enough deal for Princess, since they've discontinued those.

Then there are the 12-packs of bottled water for $7.  Much better than having to track down water or get glared at if you fill your water bottle.  That's a benefit to the purchaser, and probably OK for Princess since bottled water is so cheap.  Plus, (opinion) encouraging people to drink water is healthy and beneficial to them, maybe not so much for alcohol or soda.  Hopefully they won't discontinue that like they did the coffee.

But let's say they figure their drinks are worth, say, $12 on average, since that's about what they charge.  Those who claim to hardly drink generally say they have maybe 2-3 a day, so if Princess subtracts what those 3 per day are worth (after all, it's what they charge), and they take off the $36 per day, it then becomes $24 per day for gratuities and wi-fi.  They can keep the fitness classes and other stuff, and just offer the alcohol-free plus for a good deal for the purchaser, and should be a good deal for Princess.  Unless of course their drinks aren't worth what they charge...

Of course if you manage to consume the full 15 per day with plus, That (at $12) would be $180, so they're actually losing $120 a day on those folks, plus the grats and wifi, so that alcohol-free package at $24 would be a bargain for Princess.

But back to the original subject, a package should be a benefit to the purchaser, and they should not have to drink a lot to benefit from it...why not some other options for the rest of us?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phoebe2m said:

I am curious about my original thread being merged with another thread? I didn't know this was possible and who did it? An Admin? 

Can this thread be closed? 

Thanks for any info. 

They often merge threads with the same topic - in this case it was discussion and comparison of buying Plus/Premier over Standard.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Flyinby said:

But back to the original subject, a package should be a benefit to the purchaser, and they should not have to drink a lot to benefit from it...why not some other options for the rest of us?

I mentioned earlier in the thread, but a non alcoholic AI option would be nice to consider.  

53 minutes ago, Flyinby said:

I guess it depends on your view of the purpose of "packages".  We've always bought a couple of the coffee cards/packages, and they were a good deal for the consumer if you used them...free brewed coffee, and 15 specialty coffees for around $35-40

I'm still mad they did away with this as an option for changing in your mini bar.  Made the trade in worthwhile.  Now you can only get a few dollars of value for it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1