Nonsensical Dress Code

ggo85

12 hours ago, Port Power said:

I am amazed that this thread is still going! 

Hi, I am not......I have been a part of Cruise Critic for 20+ years and no matter what the cruise line happens to be there is ALWAYS a dress code thread (or 10) LOL..and it is never ending. People love to discuss, argue, put their opinions out there..........it is one of things that makes it a public forum.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I am not......I have been a part of Cruise Critic for 20+ years and no matter what the cruise line happens to be there is ALWAYS a dress code thread (or 10) LOL..and it is never ending. People love to discuss, argue, put their opinions out there..........it is one of things that makes it a public forum.

And when this thread finishes, another one will start! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If the wording is "collared shirt," a polo fully complies.  There are other ways to specify a dress shirt (e.g. 'button-front shirt,' or incorrectly 'button-down shirt' which only refers to the Brooks Brothers collar style but is generally applied more broadly)

15 hours ago, Carolfay said:

Agreed.  But just as perspective, I watched "An Affair to Remember" last night (1957).  The first half of the movie takes place on a cruise ship.  Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr - yes, I know, times have changed.  But how beautifully dressed passengers were, and the way standards were adhered to and not whined about.  I think that is why some of us are still fixated on the fantasy.  And I think something has been lost.  The cruise experience, after all, continues to be a fantasy.  That's what they are selling in their brochures and their advertising.  OK, got it. I will do my thing onboard and be just fine with others.

1957, I think that is the problem :).

At least, where I live, people don’t even dress in suits to interview anymore. I typically wear a tshirt, shorts, and sometimes even sandals when going into the office.

It’s just in today’s culture, formalwear is just not a thing as many are interested in. 

The older generations still like it, as it’s something they grew up with and always did. The younger demographic, who Silversea will need to reach out to more and more as time moves on, just don’t usually have the same view (on average) about attire.

4 hours ago, david63 said:

It is true that it has a collar but also by definition it is sports attire.

How is a polo sports attire?

we have been to many places that require “collared” shirts and polos always work. In fact, it’s bizarre in that we have been turned away for a really nice high end cashmere sweater, and had to go to switch into a cheap polo we had in the room when we were going to Remy on Disney Fantasy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

1957, I think that is the problem :).

At least, where I live, people don’t even dress in suits to interview anymore. I typically wear a tshirt, shorts, and sometimes even sandals when going into the office.

It’s just in today’s culture, formalwear is just not a thing as many are interested in. 

The older generations still like it, as it’s something they grew up with and always did. The younger demographic, who Silversea will need to reach out to more and more as time moves on, just don’t usually have the same view (on average) about attire.

Curious where you live that you wear shorts and sandals to the office, a Caribbean island? 😁

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lookingtocruise42 said:

Just because that was how it started its life, doesn’t mean that’s how it’s used today.

Maybe, but it's still the shirt used by polo players. 

People wear soccer shirts when not playing Association Football or running shoes while riding the bus. Still sports kit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

The clue is in the name. Polo shirt. 

Think horses, mallets, chukkas, upper-class buffoons... 

Another case where the English doesn't translate to the American. Since Silversea operates on the US dollar, I guess they use the American definition! 😁

Last time I was in Hamilton, Bermuda, banker types could be seen walking with their briefcases, with suit and tie & Bermuda Shorts.  Like a mullet - business on top, party below the belt!!  I think perhaps a new cruise line is in order, to take advantage of an obviously growing opportunity - Slovenly Seas!  All casual, all the time, with maybe a few Bubba days interspersed.  Combing hair optional!  Hun, where's my flip flops??  Well-seasoned greetings to my fellow watercoolers....

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Another case where the English doesn't translate to the American. Since Silversea operates on the US dollar, I guess they use the American definition! 😁

Right.  We think 'Ralph Lauren.' 😁

21 hours ago, Carolfay said:

Agreed.  But just as perspective, I watched "An Affair to Remember" last night (1957).  The first half of the movie takes place on a cruise ship.  Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr - yes, I know, times have changed.  But how beautifully dressed passengers were, and the way standards were adhered to and not whined about.  I think that is why some of us are still fixated on the fantasy.  And I think something has been lost.  The cruise experience, after all, continues to be a fantasy.  That's what they are selling in their brochures and their advertising.  OK, got it. I will do my thing onboard and be just fine with others.

This is a fantastic attitude. Do your thing. Enjoy doing your thing, and be just fine with others. 

There is no maximum, only minimums. If you want to dress like Grant and Kerr, by all means, go for it. If I happen to see you dressed that way, I'll very likely smile. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

This is a fantastic attitude. Do your thing. Enjoy doing your thing, and be just fine with others. 

There is no maximum, only minimums. If you want to dress like Grant and Kerr, by all means, go for it. If I happen to see you dressed that way, I'll very likely smile. 

I like your attitude, too.  I don't look like Deborah Kerr, and I certainly don't anticipate meeting Cary Grant onboard, but I expect to enjoy fine dining in lovely surroundings and indulge my little fantasies - and exchange smiles with fellow passengers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Maybe, but it's still the shirt used by polo players. 

People wear soccer shirts when not playing Association Football or running shoes while riding the bus. Still sports kit. 

It’s football not soccer. 🙂

I’ve a few of them… but won’t be wearing to dinner… even the ones with collars! 

By the sound of things, that big guy in the bright green Hawaiian shirt for his formal outfit back in 2016 might now be considered overdressed!

• Haha 2