Refit Pics

GaryEssex

There were some floating around. looks ike Deck 8 in particular is having major works but no one seems to know if this is cabins being replaced or removed to gain access to other equipment that needs changing? It seems all the pools and hot tubs are being refurbished and the carpets at least the corridor ones are being renewed.Im not at all bothered by internet changes as I value my phone being switched off for a week at sea but this is all being upgraded. There is a lot going on why Cunard chooses to keep all this a secret is beyond me. In previous re fits Cunard have produced videos of behind the scenes work which was really inserting and helped brand loyalty and we are all super interested Cunard?

• Like 4

Can't say why they were so quiet about the dry-docking but remember - this seems to be the one that was supposed to occur in 2020 but the pandemic messed everything up. Makes me wonder if the big refit for 2026 is still on schedule or if they are splitting up that work into smaller stays. Also mildly surprised by the choice of vendor here - Cunard seemed to like Blohm and Voss in Hamburg for this kind of work. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JT1101 said:

Also mildly surprised by the choice of vendor here - Cunard seemed to like Blohm and Voss in Hamburg for this kind of work. 

I would make a guess that since the pandemic with so many ships having to go into dry dock that cruise lines will take what they can get - or it could just be a case of price!

Cunard has a recent history with Damen Shiprepair for other drydocks. QE was at Damen Shiprepair Brest for her 2019 drydock. And QM2's drydock in 2021 prior to her return to service was also at Damen Shiprepair Brest. So there is a prior relationship with Cunard and Damen Shiprepair which may have been a factor in why QM2 is at the Damen facility in Rotterdam for the current drydock.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

It could be that Cunard are keeping their cards close to their chest due to the danger of raising too many expectations.  In projects such as this there are usually three programmes - the must do, the want to do and the we’ll do it if we have enough time.  As the job progresses the latter will be constantly reviewed. 

The timescale is totally inflexible (not to mention the budget) although some jobs can be undertaken whist at sea and working, but that’s the case anyway without going into dry dock. 

When we were on the QE2 years ago there were numerous contractors carrying out works whist cruising. I know that because we shared a table with them. 

Just a theory. 

• Like 2

Yeah I am sure they are not only changing carpets and upholstery but a LOT of machinery overhaul is happening too. This is the opportunity for all four of the big diesels to be fully dismantled, cleaned and renovated and such. Ditto the gas turbines. Ditto servicing the azipods and we already saw scaffolding that indicates they are updating the radars, GPS and other such equipment. They will also be doing all repairs that may have been deferred to the refit. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FayeValentine85 said:

Because I have a friend that's working on it and I was told there's quite a lot to be done. I just would like to know the days the ship will be in Southampton.

Well it’s due in 15th according to ABP.  Given I am booked on this cruise for a special event I find your speculation quite upsetting. I trust  your friend is in a a senior enough position to comment on the likelihood of the cruise not happening because there is quite a lot to be done