Gratuities Are Going Up Again, Effective 11.11.2023

ace1zoe2

4 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

I would’ve told them to take it off since I wasn’t informed ahead of time. Sounds very unethical at the least and possibly illegal. 
What if they decided to charge 50%? 100%?  

I'd assume the 20% service fee was written somewhere on the menu. We dont know if it was or not.

But I agree, wouldnt be back there to eat. State the prices fully.

Some of us are missing the point on what a gratuity or tip is.

They are for giving that bit extra above what you think is normal service and normal service should be paid by whatever company they’re working for as it’s their job.

I don’t go to work and get a gratuity or tip before I start, I get a bonus at the end of the job.

You don’t go to a restaurant and give the waiter/waitress a tip as soon as you walk in and then order your food.

Rccl are expecting you to pay some of the wages.

Very interesting subject let’s hope Royal are reading.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, mek said:

Well...... the day I have 20% automatically added to my bill and then have to tip an additional 20% is the day I stop dining out.

I guess I don't understand why they simply don't raise their prices 20%.

I have been exposed to this type of service fee only once at a restaurant (surprised too that it was not an automatic gratuity).

As we left, I got the generic how was your meal by the person at the entrance who books and sends people to their tables.

I said the meal was great, the service was great, but where was the 20% fee going?

There was a bit of dancing words to the answer. The fee represented increased food costs and compensated for reduced business hours because help was harder to find (they were not getting people to apply for extremely low hourly wages depending upon tips to make it up).

I asked why not raise prices of the actual meals?

The answer, "We might lose customers."

What the ????????????

So we add 20% to the existing menus and try and sneak a larger bill instead of being up front and raise the meal prices?

They just lost two more customers.

😕

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Realrunner said:

They are for giving that bit extra above what you think is normal service and normal service should be paid by whatever company they’re working for as it’s their job.

I don’t go to work and get a gratuity or tip before I start, I get a bonus at the end of the job.

You don’t go to a restaurant and give the waiter/waitress a tip as soon as you walk in and then order your food.

Totally agree with you. Royal will keep putting Graturites up as they know people will pay them. Even now people are all of a sudden ringing up and paying them at the older rate. Royal must be rubbing their hands with glee.

Tips should be for service above and beyond not expected, not added to the bill, not used to top up wages. I have very rarely been in a resturant where the staff have gone above their basic job of taking my order, getting it right and bringing it to my table. Which is the minimum i expect in their job description. If they do go above i tip of course. 

On the flip side royal charging Graturites will increase the attractiveness of people wanting ro work for royal. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'd assume the 20% service fee was written somewhere on the menu. We dont know if it was or not.

But I agree, wouldnt be back there to eat. State the prices fully.

The service fee was not indicated anywhere on the menu (I even checked their online menu and it wasn't there either). 

Believe me, I won't be returning. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Totally agree with you. Royal will keep putting Graturites up as they know people will pay them. Even now people are all of a sudden ringing up and paying them at the older rate. Royal must be rubbing their hands with glee.

Tips should be for service above and beyond not expected, not added to the bill, not used to top up wages. I have very rarely been in a resturant where the staff have gone above their basic job of taking my order, getting it right and bringing it to my table. Which is the minimum i expect in their job description. If they do go above i tip of course. 

On the flip side royal charging Graturites will increase the attractiveness of people wanting ro work for royal. 

Transparency is just so difficult in the cruise price anymore.

I visit a large travel agency site specializing in cruises. Wow, a great per person price advertised that I call them about.

Only for guaranteed room which is expected. Port taxes and taxes are extra and not listed on their site, anywhere on their website (why not, other agencies display the taxes?). The port taxes and taxes are listed at a much higher price because they have to pay the higher price listed at the time of original block purchase from the cruise line (sounds suspicious but not unusual or plausible). This can be hundreds of dollars.

Then the agent pushes their agencies' travel insurance similar to a car dealership pushing their bank for financing.

At the booking, there is no mention of expected automatic gratuities which now, at $18 per person, regardless of age adds up.

RCI advertises Kids Sale for Free but the taxes and gratuities per child on a seven day cruise can be about $160 of taxes and now $126 of gratuities. Now add in the cost of a cabin that can handle more than 2 people which in most cruise cases is at least $400.

The Kids Sale Free program is costing two parents about $600 more. That is not sailing free in my mind.

Now, when one boards, they are expected to tip ahead of time in the anticipation of good service. I do not mind the expectation but I will never prepay my gratuities again. I would rather pay $2 additional per person per day with the option of changing the tip. I have never done so in all of the time I have been cruising but at least I have the option of doing so if service is extremely bad.

This is kind of a moot point. I have one cruise left this year with RCI. I have one cruise reserved for next year. None for 2025. My time with them is coming to an end in 2024.

I think it is time to move on to other vacation experiences.

This topic of gratuities has been long and productive. I would like to say how "inconsiderate or unappreciative" non-tipping customers are but they bring up valid points which should be respected.

Good by all.

This is my last post on CC. I have been warned once too many times, I do not want to be banned and I would like to leave on my own terms.

😁

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Realrunner said:

It's always nice to see some people still left in the world with a little common sense!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Tips at a restaurant or bar should start at 20% when you walk in the door- then you adjust as needed. Service was good, server was funny and attentive...add some to the 20%.  Took your order and never saw them again? Maybe drop it down to 15%. I would never walk into a place I am being served and have it in my head that I'm not tipping unless they go over the top, I'm tipping... it's a matter of how much.  The pre-paid\included gratuity on the cruise is the MINIMIUM tip in my book, and I will give more to most of the crew as the week goes on because they almost always go way above and beyond general service. If not- then the prepaid grat is good, 

Edited by Scottdalfonso
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Good by all.

This is my last post on CC. I have been warned once too many times, I do not want to be banned and I would like to leave on my own terms.

😁

Where are you going? I enjoy your posts and our interactions.🙂

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Tips at a restaurant or bar should start at 20% when you walk in the door- then you adjust as needed. Service was good, server was funny and attentive...add some to the 20%.  Took your order and never saw them again? Maybe drop it down to 15%. I would never walk into a place I am being served and have it in my head that I'm not tipping unless they go over the top, I'm tipping... it's a matter of how much.  The pre-paid\included gratuity on the cruise is the MINIMIUM tip in my book, and I will give more to most of the crew as the week goes on because they almost always go way above and beyond general service. If not- then the prepaid grat is good, 

Why 20%? The typical percentage used to be 15%. I've always wondered why it went up. 

5 hours ago, Realrunner said:

All of the main stream lines do the same, no biggie.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

I always tried to figure out why bringing me a $40 steak was worth an $8 tip while bringing me a $12 burger was worth a $2.40 tip.  Same steps, same smile.

Oh well. 

Servers at more expensive/upscale restaurants tend to have more experience, so the higher tip is better compensation. They will also be expected to be more attentive and have fewer tables. It’s the level of service.

1 minute ago, mjkacmom said:

Servers at more expensive/upscale restaurants tend to have more experience, so the higher tip is better compensation. They will also be expected to be more attentive and have fewer tables. It’s the level of service.

What if my example is the same restaurant? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

I always tried to figure out why bringing me a $40 steak was worth an $8 tip while bringing me a $12 burger was worth a $2.40 tip.  Same steps, same smile.

Oh well. 

Or the fast food restaurant where you get no service at all that asks for a tip when you swipe your card to pay.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Transparency is just so difficult in the cruise price anymore.

I visit a large travel agency site specializing in cruises. Wow, a great per person price advertised that I call them about.

Only for guaranteed room which is expected. Port taxes and taxes are extra and not listed on their site, anywhere on their website (why not, other agencies display the taxes?). The port taxes and taxes are listed at a much higher price because they have to pay the higher price listed at the time of original block purchase from the cruise line (sounds suspicious but not unusual or plausible). This can be hundreds of dollars.

Then the agent pushes their agencies' travel insurance similar to a car dealership pushing their bank for financing.

At the booking, there is no mention of expected automatic gratuities which now, at $18 per person, regardless of age adds up.

RCI advertises Kids Sale for Free but the taxes and gratuities per child on a seven day cruise can be about $160 of taxes and now $126 of gratuities. Now add in the cost of a cabin that can handle more than 2 people which in most cruise cases is at least $400.

The Kids Sale Free program is costing two parents about $600 more. That is not sailing free in my mind.

Now, when one boards, they are expected to tip ahead of time in the anticipation of good service. I do not mind the expectation but I will never prepay my gratuities again. I would rather pay $2 additional per person per day with the option of changing the tip. I have never done so in all of the time I have been cruising but at least I have the option of doing so if service is extremely bad.

This is kind of a moot point. I have one cruise left this year with RCI. I have one cruise reserved for next year. None for 2025. My time with them is coming to an end in 2024.

I think it is time to move on to other vacation experiences.

This topic of gratuities has been long and productive. I would like to say how "inconsiderate or unappreciative" non-tipping customers are but they bring up valid points which should be respected.

Good by all.

😁

By who, your only giving opinion on a matter which is topic of the day 🥲

13 hours ago, HicksRA said:

I would’ve told them to take it off since I wasn’t informed ahead of time. Sounds very unethical at the least and possibly illegal. 
What if they decided to charge 50%? 100%?  

What do you expect from Washington DC. 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I think you bring up a lot of good points, though I do want to mention that little kids do sail for "cheaper" with KSF, because once that kid hits age 13 the parent pays all of the extra costs you mention, plus whatever 3rd/4th passenger fare royal is charging for that sailing.

Sometimes cheaper to buy a 2nd room, if there are any connecting rooms still available (though often those cost 'extra' also)

Transparency in pricing is an issue in many industries in the US (the whole "resort fee" nonsense in hotels comes to mind) but I do wish that companies stopped with this nonsense. It would be wonderful if we should just see the price, with all taxes, fees, and service charges included. I was visiting Paris earlier this year, and it was so refreshing to go to a restaurant and have the price on the menu actually end up being the price you charged.  Service and VAT was included in the price. Crazy concept.

2 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

That's always been my approach as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

And before that, 10% was a good tip. If wages go up with inflation, why does a tip percentage need to double? 

It doesn't since the menu prices will be going up as well so the 10% tip will be going up as well.

• Like 1