Entertainment volume in Piazza

Tedferg

On 11/4/2023 at 5:37 PM, Over from NZ said:

They don't call cruise ships floating retirement homes for nothing! 🤣😁

When you have to shout to be heard in the dining room, or at Customer Service, does that make it a fun evening for you?   I fail to see the connection between  Princess and a floating retirement home.  Judging by the responses on this thread, precious few enjoy the loud consistent noise to be fun.  That does not make them old fogies.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stoneharborlady said:

When you have to shout to be heard in the dining room, or at Customer Service, does that make it a fun evening for you?   I fail to see the connection between  Princess and a floating retirement home.  Judging by the responses on this thread, precious few enjoy the loud consistent noise to be fun.  That does not make them old fogies.  

On the Sapphire, we had the house band one afternoon in the Piazza.  You should have seen the people trying to get on the elevators!  It was so loud, you could not even order a drink, unless you wrote a note to the bartender…🤣

• Like 2

On 10/31/2023 at 2:09 PM, cali-croozer said:

Yes, although I loved our cruise on the Royal, I was looking forward to quiet time in the piazza and there was little of that, except for early mornings. I was surprised they don't have most of the activities in another area. I enjoyed line dancing and zumba but felt we were the entertainment with everyone watching. Surely, there's an unused lounge that could be used for such activities. 

The Royal Class ships are really lacking when it comes to the venues that could be used for various forms of entertainment such as shows, dancing, and mostly those line dancing and Zumba classes!  More quiet times, with nice background music, please!  I have to say, though, that even the Piazzas on the older ships seem to have gotten noisy, too! Maybe I’m just getting old! 😂

On 10/31/2023 at 5:32 PM, SargassoPirate said:

We either leave or don't stop by at all.

What I always wonder about is why people sit there and take it?

Because I enjoy the commotion? Especially the musicians. Yes that's where you'll generally find me. Otherwise I'd retreat to my balcony to read watching the waves go by or outside on Deck 7 (although I cannot do a full loop on Royal-class ships)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

That's an exaggeration if ever I've head one. 

I agree that the dining rooms have never been overly loud on any ship but the Customer service desks on the older Grand & Coral class can be bad at times.

On 11/4/2023 at 6:34 PM, Nora86 said:

I have sensory issues that lead to seizures so I just carry ear plugs all the time. Muffled so I can enjoy 🙂

Yep.  Easy solution.  Go online and find ear plugs that fit your needs.

Loud music, etc, has been an issue for a VERY long time.  Carry your ear plugs and it's one less thing to worry about.  We selected the kine that blocks most noise but still allows you to hear normal conversation.  Change yourself vs. trying to change the world.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I agree that the dining rooms have never been overly loud on any ship but the Customer service desks on the older Grand & Coral class can be bad at times.

I was near the entrance to the Reserve Dining Room on the Caribbean Princess.  The Party Band was playing in the Piazza.  I could clearly hear every song....loudly.  It was not a pleasant dining experience if you have to shout across the table to have a dinner conversation.

I do object that they (Princess) have decided that the Piazza is a "better" location for the Party Band than the Explorer's Lounge.  It is not a good dance floor.  There is not enough seating for everyone.  Move it back in the Explorer's Lounge.  

• Like 4

I decided that I have had enough of the over- amplification of music and the almost constant racket in the "inviting" piazza so I sent and email to customerrelations@princesscruises.com to complain.  Here's what I received back by way of reply.  If more people would complain directly to corporate and vacate too-loud areas on the ship, maybe something would happen.

Screenshot_20231107-065423~2.png

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 1:53 PM, MissP22 said:

But the noise level has been the same for years now.

Agree and volume is such a subjective thing.  Are passengers really carrying decibel meters and have data that the sound is approaching a dangerous level for humans.  I doubt it.  We think the sound on the Lido deck when movies are played is much more ear shattering than what happens in the Piazza.  I have a feeling it is more a generational thing then anything else.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Agree and volume is such a subjective thing.  

You do not need a decibel meter to detect that you cannot hold a conversation with your table mate two floor up in the Piazza. Nor to detect the deafening shouts in Princess LIve!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got off the Crown on 10/29 and the music was way too loud in the piazza and Crooners. Even the Guest Service staff were complaining.

Also on this cruise some of the entertainers where ok at best. There was one couple in the piazza nightly and she could barely carry a tune. 

In Crooners on past cruises the piano player was background music. This time he played so loud I could barely carry on a conversation with the person next to me at the bar.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Agree and volume is such a subjective thing.  Are passengers really carrying decibel meters and have data that the sound is approaching a dangerous level for humans.  I doubt it.  We think the sound on the Lido deck when movies are played is much more ear shattering than what happens in the Piazza.  I have a feeling it is more a generational thing then anything else.  

Yes, Apple Watches have a decibel reader.  I have shown this to the Guest Services agent who noted it in a book. 

https://quietcommunities.org/study-shows-apple-watch-accurately-measures-decibel-levels/#:~:text=by Daniel Fink%2C MD%2C Chair%2C The Quiet Coalition&text=They found the Apple Watch,owns a later model iWatch.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Yep.  Easy solution.  Go online and find ear plugs that fit your needs.

Loud music, etc, has been an issue for a VERY long time.  Carry your ear plugs and it's one less thing to worry about.  We selected the kine that blocks most noise but still allows you to hear normal conversation.  Change yourself vs. trying to change the world.

So why do you resist using ear protection?  Yo will not have to get action from anyone else?  Just curious to know what the objection is?

27 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

My iPhone has a dB app.  I don't use it on cruise ships though.   

26 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

So why do you resist using ear protection?  Yo will not have to get action from anyone else?  Just curious to know what the objection is?

You would need to walk around the ship with ear plugs all day.  I just put my hearing aids on mute. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

You do not need a decibel meter to detect that you cannot hold a conversation with your table mate two floor up in the Piazza. Nor to detect the deafening shouts in Princess LIve!!!

Never have experienced this in the many many days of cruising we have done over the years on Princess and visiting with family and friends in public areas on their ships.   I guess it is possible?  Best advice I can suggest is do not go to a rock concert.

• Haha 1

I don't remember the music being too loud on Discovery, but I do remember wishing I could find someplace where it was completely quiet. Maybe that is the same thing you guys are talking about? The music didn't hurt my ears or keep me from having a conversation but it was constant. At least that is what I remember.

3 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

I am searching for a better analogy, your comment is like me complaining that the roof leaks and you suggesting I buy an umbrella.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, desertdwellingsailor said:

I don't remember the music being too loud on Discovery, but I do remember wishing I could find someplace where it was completely quiet. Maybe that is the same thing you guys are talking about? The music didn't hurt my ears or keep me from having a conversation but it was constant. At least that is what I remember.

Agreed. Sound is subjective & many who are complaining about the volume mention their work-around is adjusting hearing aids. I don't need those so I wonder if their hearing aids muddle sounds? Screenshot_20231107-124837_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cb6c4c5b444a37d6ed3683add6960a0e.jpg

4 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Agreed. Sound is subjective & many who are complaining about the volume mention their work-around is adjusting hearing aids. I don't need those so I wonder if their hearing aids muddle sounds? 

Modern day hearing aids are so high tech now.  Mine can be controlled with an app on my phone.  I can adjust it to reduce reverberation, to cancel out background noises, and even put it on mute.  When in mute, my hearing aids are still in my ear and act as a buffer.  Unfortunately, when in the theater, I need to also add a layer of tissue to further mute the sound.  AND, believe it or not, I am able to still hear the singer/stage performers.  Now, I consider that to be unnecessarily loud if I can still near it muffled.  

My son-in-law does theater light and sound (as a party time job in addition to his engineering job).  I have mentioned the 100 decibel range and he said that is abnormally high and not necessary. I wander why Princess feels it necessary to blare our/amplify sound to such an uncomfortable level.  Not all of us are hard of hearing (even with hearing aids).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Modern day hearing aids are so high tech now.  Mine can be controlled with an app on my phone.  I can adjust it to reduce reverberation, to cancel out background noises, and even put it on mute.  When in mute, my hearing aids are still in my ear and act as a buffer.  Unfortunately, when in the theater, I need to also add a layer of tissue to further mute the sound.  AND, believe it or not, I am able to still hear the singer/stage performers.  Now, I consider that to be unnecessarily loud if I can still near it muffled.  

My son-in-law does theater light and sound (as a party time job in addition to his engineering job).  I have mentioned the 100 decibel range and he said that is abnormally high and not necessary. I wander why Princess feels it necessary to blare our/amplify sound to such an uncomfortable level.  Not all of us are hard of hearing (even with hearing aids).

Thanks. I literally know nothing about hearing aids other than what I find on Google. 

• Like 1