Future Cruise Credit disappointment - buyer beware

1Virgo

Kind of feel like bait and switch here. We bought a Future Cruise Credit in the spring, which says “all included: Drinks, Wi fi, Tips”      Then the new President’s announcement that All Inclusive was deconstructed and no longer included gratuities after October 4

Tried booking a cruise today because of the certificate, and even though we have the certificate that says gratuities included, we HAVE to pay gratuties now!!!         Know cruise lines can change things, but this now makes us determined to book elsewhere    We are close to being Elite Plus.  This leaves a bad taste

It is still possible to get tips included.  You need to find a travel agency that has group space they ordered before Oct 4. Most of the bigger agencies or even smaller ones will have space well into next year.  You should be able to use your future credit with them but if you’re assigned it to Celebrity direct you might have to get it switched.  

Edited by volk904
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

This was purchased onboard and have paperwork that shows even a deposit entitles one to what is offered. All Inclusive:  Drinks, Wifi, Gratuities      either book now or later.   

Curious what the fine print says.   I have a feeling it has a little provision in it that says the book later is dependent on promotion at time of booking.  

I know that I recently I upgraded a booking after final payment and kept my gratuities but lost the 800 OBC because the fare I booked was a special rate.   In my case I was able to upgrade from a CS to Rs for $350 so was not upset at all.

• Like 2

We bought a Open Passage in September and it was assigned to our CVP. She was laid off after the 30 day period to transfer to a TA expired. I don't know if I feel it was bait and switch but I do feel cheated because she always alerted us when new itineraries were released. I'm not even getting promotional E-mails from Celebrity recently so I'll probably let it expire.  

• Like 1

My sympathy to you as I also got stung by this.

I took a look at one of the flyers and in the fine print - Hard to read but says-

'If you change or confirm your Future Cruise Reservation, you booking may no longer be eligible for the special pricing/promotions offered when you were aboard.  Your reservation would then booked under the prevailing rate and conditions at the time of change or booking "

image.thumb.png.606b68bd4ed928e79cbf83e8d6c803d3.png

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We bought a Open Passage in September and it was assigned to our CVP. She was laid off after the 30 day period to transfer to a TA expired. I don't know if I feel it was bait and switch but I do feel cheated because she always alerted us when new itineraries were released. I'm not even getting promotional E-mails from Celebrity recently so I'll probably let it expire.  

Did they lay off all the CVP's ?     Sure seems like shooting themselves in the foot 

• Like 2

I get it but this is no different than them starting to charge for room service after we made final payment.  And yea. it's not the same cost but we used it a lot so it was at least $20 a day for us if not more.  So even if the cost is less, the principle is the same...... I paid for free room service and they took it away after I paid

This is just how they treat us now.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, volk904 said:

It is still possible to get tips included.  You need to find a travel agency that has group space they ordered before Oct 4. Most of the bigger agencies or even smaller ones will have space well into next year.  You should be able to use your future credit with them but if you’re assigned it to Celebrity direct you might have to get it switched.  

I thought the group space had to be named prior to Nov 1.

"Group changes
On a positive note, as of October 4, newly created groups will include the updated All Included offering of a Classic drink package and basic Wi-Fi. Furthermore, from August 29, 2023 through October 31, 2023, existing groups will be eligible for the original three amenities (drinks, Wi-Fi, tips), provided the space within the existing group is named by October 31, 2023. From November 1, 2023, existing unnamed groups will be converted to the new group standard pricing, which includes the updated All Included offering."

Source https://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Celebrity-Cruises-Removes-Gratuities-from-All-Included-Pricing

2 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

Kind of feel like bait and switch here. We bought a Future Cruise Credit in the spring, which says “all included: Drinks, Wi fi, Tips”      Then the new President’s announcement that All Inclusive was deconstructed and no longer included gratuities after October 4

Tried booking a cruise today because of the certificate, and even though we have the certificate that says gratuities included, we HAVE to pay gratuties now!!!         Know cruise lines can change things, but this now makes us determined to book elsewhere    We are close to being Elite Plus.  This leaves a bad taste

Can you post the document you’re referring to? I can’t say I’ve ever seen a Future Cruise certificate that promises you’ll have All Included on a reservation that does not exist. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious what the fine print says.   I have a feeling it has a little provision in it that says the book later is dependent on promotion at time of booking.  

I know that I recently I upgraded a booking after final payment and kept my gratuities but lost the 800 OBC because the fare I booked was a special rate.   In my case I was able to upgrade from a CS to Rs for $350 so was not upset at all.

Wow!  what a great deal!  how did you get that/

36 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Can you post the document you’re referring to? I can’t say I’ve ever seen a Future Cruise certificate that promises you’ll have All Included on a reservation that does not exist. 

will pull out the file.   Back in January we bought N FCC and in April. Was promoted as book now/pay later or put down a deposit and you get the same perks when you decide to book. We ve used this many times.  We did hear after the last cruise we were on, that they were changing program so hold onto paperwork 

Are these actually Future Cruise Reservations, not Future Cruise Credits?   That may be why those of us who have only had FCCs have no idea what the OP is talking about.

Can't an FCR be cancelled for a refund?

Edited by mayleeman

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

Are these actually Future Cruise Reservations, not Future Cruise Credits?   That may be why those of us who have only had FCCs have no idea what the OP is talking about.

Can't an FCR be cancelled for a refund?

onboard ship you could  make a reservation as you know but if you didnt want to decide right then which cruise, You put down a deposit,  which guaranteed the best rates, and the all inclusive, including gratuities and OBC (as per the chart wrk2cruise posted)  you decided at a later date. Used to be had to be booked within one year but that changed to 6 months last winter.    Book now or book later.    We ve done this on every cruise.  

Now, since they have removed gratuities from the All inclusive, they won’t honour the gratuities included.     

1 hour ago, 1Virgo said:

onboard ship you could  make a reservation as you know but if you didnt want to decide right then which cruise, You put down a deposit,  which guaranteed the best rates, and the all inclusive, including gratuities and OBC (as per the chart wrk2cruise posted)  you decided at a later date. Used to be had to be booked within one year but that changed to 6 months last winter.    Book now or book later.    We ve done this on every cruise.  

Now, since they have removed gratuities from the All inclusive, they won’t honour the gratuities included.     

There’s some misunderstanding here. There are 2 choices. You either pick a specific cruise or do an open booking/book later where you choose a cruise later.  

You never were able to lock in inclusions or the “best rates” on a booking that doesn’t exist yet. You can also use the open booking on All Included or Cruise Only rates, they are not All Included by default. The open booking is always subject to prevailing rates and promotions at the time you select a cruise. I think you may be confusing some of the features of a group rate with the onboard booking. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

My sympathy to you as I also got stung by this.

I took a look at one of the flyers and in the fine print - Hard to read but says-

'If you change or confirm your Future Cruise Reservation, you booking may no longer be eligible for the special pricing/promotions offered when you were aboard.  Your reservation would then booked under the prevailing rate and conditions at the time of change or booking "

image.thumb.png.606b68bd4ed928e79cbf83e8d6c803d3.png

Good catch, facts confuse some people. 

10 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

There’s some misunderstanding here. There are 2 choices. You either pick a specific cruise or do an open booking/book later where you choose a cruise later.  

You never were able to lock in inclusions or the “best rates” on a booking that doesn’t exist yet. You can also use the open booking on All Included or Cruise Only rates, they are not All Included by default. The open booking is always subject to prevailing rates and promotions at the time you select a cruise. I think you may be confusing some of the features of a group rate with the onboard booking. 

I m relaying what we have done in the past, what we were told on 2 cruises in spring /winter and  was reiterated to us in the summer.    As I said, we ve done this, put down a deposit to be applied later to a booking, locking in the promos  at the time being offered. .   They always tell you you get the best deals onboard and if you arent ready to decide, this is the option.     I am not confused nor is my husband.   

8 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

I m relaying what we have done in the past, what we were told on 2 cruises in spring /winter and  was reiterated to us in the summer.    As I said, we ve done this, put down a deposit to be applied later to a booking, locking in the promos  at the time being offered. .   They always tell you you get the best deals onboard and if you arent ready to decide, this is the option.     I am not confused nor is my husband.   

Agree to disagree? That’s not how they work. I’d still be interested in seeing the document that outlines your interpretation.

IMG_1700.jpeg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

We bought a Future Cruise Credit

" Future Cruise Credit " ? 

I'm not sure if it's the same as their " Book NOW or Book LATER " Certificate /Program, which we have purchased a few times on board and used with no difficulty.

The benefits are:

Lower deposit ( $100 per person )

6 months to book a cruise or your money is refunded

Based on the number of nights of the cruise and the accommodation booked an amount of additional ( over what the price includes ) OBC is applied.

If it is the same as what you refer to, there is nothing that I can see about AI and in the small writing on the back of the form there is a provision that Celebrity reserves the right to make changes at anytime without prior notice.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 1Virgo said:

locking in the promos  at the time being offered.

" locking in promos " ?

Not so sure about that.

From what I understand you only get what is offered at the time you book.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hcat said:

we stopped buying those open ended certifs yrs ago,   not worth it!

What about them is "not worth it"?

They provide a reduced deposit for non-suite cabins, right?  Maybe a little OBC, right?  They didn't create any extra costs or reduce the cruise experience, right?

I'd rather pay a lower deposit for bookings a year + out.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hcat said:

we stopped buying those open ended certifs yrs ago,   not worth it!

I usually don't buy them either anymore, but did last year because the new cruises were not to be released until a week after then end of the cruise I was on.   I worked out ok for me.