No need to rush to add Gratuities

There is no need to add gratuities or pay for them prior to Nov 11 to avoid the price increase.

As long as gratuities are added to the booking prior to sailing and the booking was created prior to Nov 11, 2024 then you will get the gratuities added at the old rate.

I just added gratuities to a booking for a client yesterday for a booking that was created prior to Sept  of 2023 and their gratuities were added at the rate of $14.50 per person per day.

Yes the email that Royal sent out was very poorly written.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 15

20 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I just added gratuities to a booking for a client yesterday for a booking that was created prior to Sept  of 2023 and their gratuities were added at the rate of $14.50 per person per day.

Do you mean $16 pppd?

25 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There is no need to add gratuities or pay for them prior to Nov 11 to avoid the price increase.

As long as gratuities are added to the booking prior to sailing and the booking was created prior to Nov 11, 2024 then you will get the gratuities added at the old rate.

I am not sure why there is so much confusion.

The website further clarifies

Guests who have already prepaid their gratuities will not be impacted by this change. Guests who plan to pay onboard, will be charged the new rate starting November 11, 2023.

**Pre-paid gratuities can be added to an individual reservation up to 48 hours before the sail date.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I am not sure why there is so much confusion.

The website further clarifies

Guests who have already prepaid their gratuities will not be impacted by this change. Guests who plan to pay onboard, will be charged the new rate starting November 11, 2023.

**Pre-paid gratuities can be added to an individual reservation up to 48 hours before the sail date.

That's pretty clear but the mass email they sent out does not have as much detail.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, marci22 said:

Do you mean $16 pppd?

48 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I suspect you mean the booking was booked prior to sept 2022 ..sept last year before rates went up last year. .. typo. I understood.

Ken, thank for letting us all know.

To confirm I understand...we have two cruises that we booked Nov and Dec of last year.

I haven't added gratuities yet (but always add then when I do final payment if not done yet).

I tried calling yesterday morning but it was a long wait and didn't have the time so hung up after waiting 20 minutes.  From what you are saying, I can wait until final payment , add them then (then pay off the cruise) and will still get the current rate before the raise?

To confirm I understand...we have two cruises that we booked Nov and Dec of last year for 2024 and 2025.

I haven't added gratuities yet (but always add then when I do final payment if not done yet).

I tried calling yesterday morning but it was a long wait and didn't have the time so hung up after waiting 20 minutes.  From what you are saying, I can wait until final payment , add then add them to the invoice (then pay off the cruise) and will still get the current rate before the raise?

Edited by LuCruise

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

I tried calling yesterday morning but it was a long wait and didn't have the time so hung up after waiting 20 minutes. 

We had the same issue, so we called the C&A desk and had everything wrapped up in a few minutes. 

7 hours ago, LuCruise said:

To confirm I understand...we have two cruises that we booked Nov and Dec of last year.

I tried calling yesterday morning but it was a long wait and didn't have the time so hung up after waiting 20 minutes.  From what you are saying, I can wait until final payment , add them then (then pay off the cruise) and will still get the current rate before the raise?

Correct.  You can even wait until after you have made final and call, add them and pay at that time and you will still get the old rate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The way that I was reading the email, it sounded to me that you could add the gratuities at ANY time prior to your sailing to prepay them.  Many others on this board said it had to be done prior to November 11th.  When I reread the RCCL email, I could see how people would come to potentially think that, but still believed that my thinking was correct.  Wording on RCCL's email could have been done better on their part.  You think if a company is making a billion dollar profit in a quarter, then they could hire a competent person to write a clearer email.  Thanks for clarifying this Ken.  Guess we do not have to prepay for our 2025 March cruise until we do final payment for that one in December 2024 then if we wish too prepay.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2023 at 11:31 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

So we are ok on 2025 cruises?

I have a question..

It i already pre-paid gratuities for Amex offer (I needed pre-paid amount to put me over threshold) and get upgrade to a higher cabin do they credit pre-paid gratuities or just charge diff daily?