TA on NOVA......Lisbon to NYC.........

Lois R

I want to thank you all so much for your information and comments.  We have only been on the Shadow.  I booked a B2B on the Ray totalling 23 days.  Based on some comparisons and observations here I just switched our first leg to the Moon.  I thought the Ray (sister to the Nova) would be the ‘be all to end all’ but now realize it’s a good idea to check out all the ships.  Happy sailing and thanks again!

7 hours ago, texanaust said:

Can you request the usual Bvlgari toiletries from your butler if you don't want the Otivm?  Also does anyone know if the sauna and steam rooms are still complimentary?  Thanks.  

Yes, the butler brought us the small bottles of Bvlgari.   They also have SebaMed antiallergenic but no more Otigia Sciliana.

10 hours ago, FengShui@Sea said:

I want to thank you all so much for your information and comments.  We have only been on the Shadow.  I booked a B2B on the Ray totalling 23 days.  Based on some comparisons and observations here I just switched our first leg to the Moon.  I thought the Ray (sister to the Nova) would be the ‘be all to end all’ but now realize it’s a good idea to check out all the ships.  Happy sailing and thanks again!

IMHO you have made the correct choice. If you need anymore info on the new ships check out my review of 17 days spent on Silver Nova in the review section of the CC site. They may make some changes to Ray based on passenger feedback but for most design issues it will be too late.

We will definitely not cruise on Nova again 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

Yes, the butler brought us the small bottles of Bvlgari.   They also have SebaMed antiallergenic but no more Otigia Sciliana.

We asked our butler for different toiletries as my wife developed a rash using the Otium soap and after 36 hours he manage to procure us one bar of Bulgari soap and nothing else. 

13 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I think a cruise designer should try out that closet too. And that tabletop storage space in the closet. It invites snags of delicate fabrics.

I think the designer needs to look at quite a few things on Nova. Whether they can justify the cost of remedial action on Nova or Ray remains to be seen!! I have highlighted a few of the main issues I identified in my review in the CC review section

• Thanks 1

Good morning, well it looks like my thread has really been blown out of the water.......listed at an angle, or whatever metaphor you want to use. 

I am still getting used to this new vessel and am not ready to write her off. Do I prefer Moon and Dawn? Yes I do. But I am still feeling my way and still have over a week before disembarking........I will continue to give my thoughts but it looks like most don't like her so not sure what anything I type even matters now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually Lois, we are eagerly awaiting your thoughts.

So far it's only the closet that looks like a negative to me - while that could be an irritation, it'll be a very tiny irritation compared to the pleasure of exploring a new ship ... I hope ...

Please carry on!

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Actually Lois, we are eagerly awaiting your thoughts.

So far it's only the closet that looks like a negative to me - while that could be an irritation, it'll be a very tiny irritation compared to the pleasure of exploring a new ship ... I hope ...

Please carry on!

Ahhhh...OK. I had a fantastic dinner last night in SALT😀 I ate with 2 new friends from the roll call. I had a duck dish that was delicious and the service was the best I have had so far. Better than in Terrazza and Atlantide. I even mentioned it to the Maitr'd about that and all the restaurants should be as prompt as SALT was.......

Today I have a class in the Salf Lab at 3:00. Looking forward to it.  Yesterday I went to a Mixology class which was held in the Salt Bar. There were 7 of us and it was alot of fun!! We had what looked like a Dr's black bag but it had booze items in it instead lol. Shaker, long spoon, strainer, etc. We made 3 drinks. Gin and Tonic,  an Espresso Martini and a "real" Martini. I was impressed with the teacher and all the techniques he showed us. I don't like Vermouth and so I was quite surprised I actually liked my drink which he told me is called "Naked". Just the gin but very cold and a twist of lemon. He also told me this is how Winston Churchill drank his Martinis LOL

• Like 7

It's too early to weigh the plusses and minuses (and i dont know where i will come out yet) but here are some little things I like so far:  

* the coffee cups in La Terraza are a larger size; no more looking around for the refill guy at breakfast.  But not so large to get cold.

*  the ping-pong table is located in an ideal space on deck 2 -  a room that's open on three side surrounded by some comfortable chairs for waiting.  No more chasing the ball down three flights of stairs.  

*  the chargers in Atlantide (the big plates that hold the space until the first course) have a pattern of scattered blossoms that is modern and charming.

*  behind the door in the observation lounge is a beautiful little library. 

I'll try to get some pictures to post by and by.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We are on our only stop on this cruise today in Ponte Delgada. I confused myself (not usual these days) and I thought I had been here before but when the ship docked, nothing looked even vaguely familiar. 

I took the shuttle Into town. And walked around for about an hour.

More later.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Lois R said:

We are on our only stop on this cruise today in Ponte Delgada. I confused myself (not usual these days) and I thought I had been here before but when the ship docked, nothing looked even vaguely familiar. 

I took the shuttle Into town. And walked around for about an hour.

More later.

I meant to say it is not UNUSUAL for me to get confused...........

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, well it looks like my thread has really been blown out of the water.......listed at an angle, or whatever metaphor you want to use. 

I am still getting used to this new vessel and am not ready to write her off. Do I prefer Moon and Dawn? Yes I do. But I am still feeling my way and still have over a week before disembarking........I will continue to give my thoughts but it looks like most don't like her so not sure what anything I type even matters now.

It does matter—you are on the ship now.  I’m looking forward to you honest thinking about the ship.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

Your opinion definitely matters.  You are a regular poster here;  having the opinion of a "known" person who sails SS regularly is very important.  I look forward to any comments you have on Nova as I will be sailing her next year. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Your opinion definitely matters.  You are a regular poster here;  having the opinion of a "known" person who sails SS regularly is very important.  I look forward to any comments you have on Nova as I will be sailing her next year. 

Always keep in mind that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Always keep in mind that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Indeed.  I am, however, far more interested in how things function.  Until I am aboard Nova myself I am glad for balanced reviews and comments (including the one you provided a couple months back).  Reviews let me know if there may be something I can prepare myself for and/or adjust, or simply look forward to enjoying myself.  It's not like any comments on this board would lead me to cancel a cruise.

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 2

Hello again, we moved back an hour 2 nights in a row but I am still sleeping in until about 8:30 every day🙂. It is allowed since I am on a cruise lol.

Last night I dined with the HD and the Future Cruise Consultant in Terrazza

Food and service were both excellent.

Tonight I am doing the "Chef's Table" and will make sure to post about the experience.

The show last night was very good again. It was more or less a tribute to James Bond with some other "Rat Pack" tunes mixed in as well. 

• Like 4

I forgot to post this.......and I know it is a heated topic but thought it would be relevant. They are calling every night on this sailing "Elegant Casual" except for the 2 formal nights which are actually called "Formal Optional".

I saw various outfits on the first "Formal night". From tuxes and long gowns to sport coats without ties. I wore a pair of dressy slacks, a black lace top with an openwork cardigan. 

Please keep this part civil when posting a reply🙂

• Like 2