Windjammer Buffet for Holiday Dinner: Do They Do Anything Special?

On Christmas Eve we have an excursion on Navigator of the Seas that brings us back too late to go to the main dining room. This leaves us with two options...(1) pay the "up charge" of $99 for Chops Holiday Dinner or (2) go to the Windjammer Buffet. We booked the Chops Holiday dinner thinking it is a better option than a casual Windjammer buffet for Christmas Eve but the price of $99 is making the family rethink this decision.

(As an a side: Jamie's Italian restaurant has a $96 holiday dinner and Hooks and Izumi are out because some family members don't like the menus. Sigh, ya can't please everyone in a family who cruises together.)

Has anyone gone to Windjammer Buffet for dinner during a holiday? Do they have anything special they serve? Thanks in advance for your reply.

If you have my time dining for your cruise, as long as you get back before about 9 o’clock, you can go to the MDR for dinner. We did that on a recent cruise that had our excursion return after 8 pm. We had dinner in my time dining at 8:30. Of course we were not able to request the staff or area where we were normally served, but that was OK. You could even go on the website, planner and reserve my time dining for a late time on that evening. 

Windjammer generally closes at 9 as well. 

m

Thanks to you both. Unfortunately we have 5:30 pm traditional early dining time so we can't do my time dining. They won't allow a one-time my time dining so the main dining room won't be an option. It is a pity because the excursion is through RC and they are bringing us back at 6:15 pm but still too late for our 5:30 pm dinner time. It is worth the "sacrifice" of losing Main Dining option for a sunset catamaran sail around Cabo on Christmas Eve.

Huh, so a carved turkey at Windjammer. That sounds lovely. My hubby jokes if we go to Windjammer then he can wear his swimming trunks to dinner on Christmas Eve🤣.

Maybe others will chime in on their experiences so I can convince the whole family Windjammer is the better option. I love the variety of a buffet and to not have to wear a cocktail dress (as I would if we were going to Chops) makes my feet happy. Thanks again and wishing you all a happy upcoming holiday season. Cheers.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BlackForest said:

the excursion is through RC and they are bringing us back at 6:15 pm but still too late for our 5:30 pm dinner time.

Given what you’ve said here, I suggest the following:  Get familiar with the word “unacceptable,” as in”completely unacceptable”.   If you’re D, see the concierge and explain the situation.  He/she should be able to get you what you want.  If you’re not D or concierge won’t help you, request to speak to F&B Director.  That’s when the word “unacceptable” will come in handy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Given what you’ve said here, I suggest the following:  Get familiar with the word “unacceptable,” as in”completely unacceptable”.   If you’re D, see the concierge and explain the situation.  He/she should be able to get you what you want.  If you’re not D or concierge won’t help you, request to speak to F&B Director.  That’s when the word “unacceptable” will come in handy.

Oh sure that a great idea. Flaunt you are diamond and demand special treatment. ... sorry rolling eyes. Go demand to sit and take up a 2nd seat in the dining room. Makes sense to me .. NOT. 

Sorry I disagree. If every diamond and up demands stuff like this no wonder there are issues in the Mdr. People who think they are special. .. I have enough trouble getting what I'm supposed to. Like even a permanent seat. Obviously in person I need to act out more. Make demands. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Ha, I am diamond plus and frankly I don't think my service requests are honored any more than a first time cruiser. Main dining is definitely not an option...unless for some reason they allow a one-off My Time Dining the night of this excursion on Christmas Eve. Too me that is too much of an ask for them to fulfill.

It will be either up-priced Chops Holiday dinner at $99 a pop or Windjammer. Just wondering if others have tried dinner at Windjammer over a holiday. I know that sometimes Windjammer serves on-demand crepes which one can't get in the main dining room. Yummmm. Maybe they do something special for a holiday like turkey carving...as previously mentioned.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Oh sure that a great idea. Flaunt you are diamond and demand special treatment. ... sorry rolling eyes. Go demand to sit and take up a 2nd seat in the dining room. Makes sense to me .. NOT. 

Sorry I disagree. If every diamond and up demands stuff like this no wonder there are issues in the Mdr. People who think they are special. .. I have enough trouble getting what I'm supposed to. Like even a permanent seat. Obviously in person I need to act out more. Make demands. 

Never said to flaunt being a D.  All I said was that if the OP had access to the concierge, the concierge might be able to help.  If not, he should speak to F&B.  Never said to use being a D as a weapon  in discussion with F&B.  But getting back to the issue at hand:  RCL created a minor glitch here.  RCL should correct the situation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

RCL created a minor glitch here.  RCL should correct the situation.

So now if rcl offers a excursion that would make someone late to dinner it's also on them to give you a different dining time? Happens all the time. Agree to disagree. Rcl can offer activities any time of the day. It's not on them to give you a special dining time. .. I'm not big on people acting entitled. I dont care what level they are. 

There are activities all the time conflicting with dinner.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, BlackForest said:

On Christmas Eve we have an excursion on Navigator of the Seas that brings us back too late to go to the main dining room. This leaves us with two options...(1) pay the "up charge" of $99 for Chops Holiday Dinner or (2) go to the Windjammer Buffet. We booked the Chops Holiday dinner thinking it is a better option than a casual Windjammer buffet for Christmas Eve but the price of $99 is making the family rethink this decision.

(As an a side: Jamie's Italian restaurant has a $96 holiday dinner and Hooks and Izumi are out because some family members don't like the menus. Sigh, ya can't please everyone in a family who cruises together.)

Has anyone gone to Windjammer Buffet for dinner during a holiday? Do they have anything special they serve? Thanks in advance for your reply.

The holiday dinners are not anything special except for the price $$$$$ and the tiniest little mini bottle of Moet ,go another night  . See the Matrade when you board an request a change because  you have Royal tours booked and that's what time they return. Late to windjammer is not a good choice you might be looking at a turkey carcass.🙄

• Like 2

A couple of years ago, we booked the holiday dinner in Chops for Christmas Eve.  There was nothing special about the menu, and there were maybe 10 other passengers besides ourselves.  There were a few larger tables of staff.  We felt totally ripped off.  I think the only thing extra, was one glass of champagne each.  The menu they posted online when we booked, was not the menu presented to us that night.  Never again!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlackForest said:

Ha, I am diamond plus and frankly I don't think my service requests are honored any more than a first time cruiser. Main dining is definitely not an option...unless for some reason they allow a one-off My Time Dining the night of this excursion on Christmas Eve. Too me that is too much of an ask for them to fulfill.

It has regularly been discussed on here that provisions can be made for one-off arrangements when returning late from a scheduled Royal excursion.

Of course it will be ship dependent and Christmas Eve may complicate matters but it doesn’t hurt to ask. The main problem will be that you won’t know until you are on the ship, so have a back-up plan in place. If you are a large group it will also be more difficult.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlackForest said:

It will be either up-priced Chops Holiday dinner at $99 a pop or Windjammer. Just wondering if others have tried dinner at Windjammer over a holiday. I know that sometimes Windjammer serves on-demand crepes which one can't get in the main dining room. Yummmm. Maybe they do something special for a holiday like turkey carving...as previously mentioned.

There will be people in late days Ning who choose a specialty restaurant on Xmas Eve.  So, you could potentially get a table later that night.  Just speak with Maître de when on board.  

• Like 1

We were onboard the Navigator last year for Christmas and New Year's Eve sailings.

* Christmas caroling/songs, decorations, and a massive Christmas tree between Playmakers and Sorrentos.

* Crew members wearing Santa Clause hats.

* Free gifts to all children ages 6 and under...given by Santa Clause. (Great photo op)

* A large, table-sized Christmas cake in the Windjammer.

* Christmas Tree lighting.

* Free egg-nogs...alcoholic and non-alcoholic.

* Midnight mass.

* And yes, a nice turkey dinner in the MDR. (Not sure what they had for dinner in the Windjammer.)

* Agree with all of those who suggested to speak to the MDR staff. Politely explain your situation...it is Christmas and I'm going to guess they will be happy to accomodate your family.  Start with your Headwaiter, then Maitre D', or ROM , or F&B, and last would be the HD. Merry Christmas and happy sailing.

• Like 3

Call us stupid, but we much prefer the Windjammer for holiday meals. More than the MDR or a specialty restaurant.  It’s more like home. Get what you want, as much as you want 🙂, and have a great time. They will serve holiday foods (and some not holiday food that we like). 

• Like 2

A topic that hasn't been brought up:  If you've been on a full-day excursion, you're going to return to the ship tired and probably in need of showers.  Will your family be up for dressing and going to the MDR for a lengthy meal anyway?  Personally, given the timing, I'd vote for a quick-and-serviceable meal in the buffet on Christmas Eve -- and make your "real celebration meal" Christmas Day.  

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Please don't create drama where none exists.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

* Agree with all of those who suggested to speak to the MDR staff. Politely explain your situation...it is Christmas and I'm going to guess they will be happy to accomodate your family.  Start with your Headwaiter, then Maitre D', or ROM , or F&B, and last would be the HD. Merry Christmas and happy sailing.

I suspect, that the maître d’ will be able to accommodate the OP.  If not, the OP has several options. 

Go to the Windjammer for dinner.
Change to my time dining for the cruise. 

Pay the charges of a specialty restaurant.
Cancel the excursion.

All of them are reasonable solutions. 

In my opinion, to to escalate  a meeting with the food and beverage director or hotel director because one is arriving back late from an optional excursion is a bit over the top. Every little situation does not require the attention of the food and beverage director or the hotel director. They have serious issues to resolve, not someone’s activity/dining preferences. 

OP-I hope it works out for you and you have an enjoyable cruise. 
m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I suspect, that the maître d’ will be able to accommodate the OP.  If not, the OP has several options. 

Cancel the excursion.

In my opinion, to to escalate  a meeting with the food and beverage director or hotel director because one is arriving back late from an optional excursion is a bit over the top. Every little situation does not require the attention of the food and beverage director or the hotel director. They have serious issues to resolve, not someone’s activity/dining preferences. 

m

Politely is the key word.

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Cancel the excursion.

m

Sorry not a reasonable response 

• Thanks 1

I have to be honest here.  The Windjammer food is better at embarkation day then my SIL Feast of the seven fishes.  😁  That being noted, it's what's important to you and your family.  If me, I'd cancel the sunset catamaran and keep the MTD.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I have to be honest here.  The Windjammer food is better at embarkation day then my SIL Feast of the seven fishes.  😁  That being noted, it's what's important to you and your family.  If me, I'd cancel the sunset catamaran and keep the MTD.  

Whereas, I would keep the catamaran experience and have a fancy dinner on Christmas Day. 

The question is, What does the OP's group value most?  

20 hours ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Complete nonsense, and absolutely the wrong thing to do. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Never said to flaunt being a D.  All I said was that if the OP had access to the concierge, the concierge might be able to help.  If not, he should speak to F&B.  Never said to use being a D as a weapon  in discussion with F&B.  But getting back to the issue at hand:  RCL created a minor glitch here.  RCL should correct the situation.

RCL created nothing! 
The OP CHOSE a beautiful sunset Catamaran ride, there is no way that is compatible with early dining. We can’t always have everything. 

• Like 4

Gosh, I really enjoyed reading everyone's input. Can't thank you all enough. Special shout out to Bonsai3s for mentioning all the holiday festivities on Navigator. That gets me even more excited for our family. We will be traveling with an 18 month old so Santa photo op should be fun...if the little guy doesn't get too scared of Santa 😆

You all raise excellent points. My thought is...indeed it is the family's decision to book an excursion that conflicts with our early main dining time. We weren't forced to book it so RC doesn't really have to make any accommodations for us. Mum@Mercury raises an interesting point that the family may not want to go from an excursion and then change into formal-ish wear to go to Chops later that night. We tend to be early dinner people and we booked Chops for 8 pm (which was lucky we could get in even that early...next available time was 10 pm). And perhaps my niece and nephew with their 18 month old would prefer earlier dining at Windjammer than late night and longer dining at Chops?!

As with all families we have conflicting desires within the family. Some like the idea of formal night dress up Christmas Eve; others prefer to save the $ since the Chops Holiday dinner is sort of a rip off due to the little added value for the extra charge. Which is confirmed by Willing292...thanks for sharing your experiences for Chops Holiday dinner.

I have enough "ammunition" from your feedback to push my sis in the direction of Windjammer. And as C-leg5 mentioned we can try for perhaps a My Time Dining for just that night once we explain to the Maitre D when on board. But we will have to cancel our Chops reservation now knowing that Windjammer is the likely dining experience for Christmas Eve.

Thanks CC family...your input is valued by me and my family. Enjoy the holiday season!

• Like 3