Pool towels

42Hathaway

8 minutes ago, 42Hathaway said:

It is 9:00 am and there is not.a Pool towel or chair available not that  knowone  is sitting in the chairs. This is not the first day but everyday on the emerald. Management seems to be ingoring the situation.

They don't want to enforce anything because they are afraid of receive less than a 10 on the post cruise evaluations.

In the absence of enforcement, chaos reigns.

• Like 2

There are a few options.  We usually have few problems finding a chair located away from the immediate pool areas.  Another solution is that if you see a chair with no folks and just a towel, and it remains empty for more than 15 minutes, you just take your chances, pitch the towel, and sit down.  Once upon a time we were on a Princess cruise and did take a chair (that had a towel) that had been empty for over an hour.  Several hours later, the folks who apparently had put down the towels did show-up and said we were in their loungers.  We simply told them we had been sitting there for several hours (true) and did not see their names on the loungers.  

As one with extensive cruise experience (for about 50 years) on many lines I will offer a few tidbits.  The chair/lounger issue exists on all the mass market lines (especially in warmer waters) and there is seldom much nelp from the staff.  It is the same in many all-inclusive resorts.  It sucks, but it is what it is.  One solution is to book an expensive luxury line (i.e. Seabourn, Silverseas, Regent, etc) where there is a much better space ratio and getting a lounger is not normally a problem.  

It would be nice if the pool staff actually cleared-off loungers after a specific time.  But the reality is that cruise lines do not want to confront or anger passengers, so the staff tends to be less than helpful.

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

It would be nice if the pool staff actually cleared-off loungers after a specific time.  But the reality is that cruise lines do not want to confront or anger passengers, so the staff tends to be less than helpful.

IMO they should have a policy with signs that chairs that are unoccupied for more than X time (where X is more than reasonable -- say an hour) will have their contents removed. This will not stop "those people" who think the rules don't apply to them but it will stop a lot of us who are rule followers and/or may push the rules but will be okay with being called on it. 

1 hour ago, MacMadame said:

IMO they should have a policy with signs that chairs that are unoccupied for more than X time (where X is more than reasonable -- say an hour) will have their contents removed. This will not stop "those people" who think the rules don't apply to them but it will stop a lot of us who are rule followers and/or may push the rules but will be okay with being called on it. 

We had once heard of a cruise line, where the pool staff would go around to empty loungers and "politely" fold the towels and leave them on the loungers.  If they returned in a half hour and the towels were undisturbed, they would than clear everything off the loungers.  On our last Princess cruise in the Caribbean, DW and I stayed aboard during one port day and relaxed on deck.  Next to us were a bunch of "saved" loungers with nothing but towels.  Those folks finally showed-up more than 5 hours later and told us they had been ashore on an excursion.!  Kind of sad.

Hank

1 hour ago, MacMadame said:

They have a few signs with the 30 minute limit, and I will and have stood and watched for 30 minutes and then have the staff remove the item(s), and only once did I have a guy show up and stare at me after about 3 hours. Too bad buddy. So rude and inconsiderate to reserve chairs.

• Like 1

We had the same thing on our Med cruise on Sky.  

I posted of sunbed hogs......and just to let you know that went for 8 pages with 10.5k views so prepare yourself.

Seriously though I don't go on holidays to have to get up early for a sunbed. Our last few land based holidays we had swim up rooms so never had to stray far.

Guest Snaxmuppet

I think it is always going to be that many people are just selfish. Not everyone, but enough to ruin the experience for everyone else.

I detest reserving beds in that way and wish it wasn't necessary but when it is that you either do the same or miss out and don't get a bed at all it is tempting to follow the advice of the phrase "if you can't beat them, joint them" and reserve beds for yourself. I have done so on a couple of occasions but I feel guilty and so it isn't something I would do regularly.

I think it is just something we all have to put up with and depending on your personal level of guilt... do it yourself or save your breath complaining as it won't achieve anything. 

12 hours ago, 42Hathaway said:

It is 9:00 am and there is not.a Pool towel or chair available not that  knowone  is sitting in the chairs. This is not the first day but everyday on the emerald. Management seems to be ingoring the situation.

Take a clean dry towel (s) off an unoccupied chair hogs lounger. 

• Like 2

Hi all to all my Cruise critic, friends. I’m a night person on the Royal Princess one morning I got up at 7am

and went to the adult swimming pool and took off all the towels on the lounge chairs that No one was on.

I went back to bed and went back at 11:30 am all that day people were talking about someone removing the towels. I said no kidding and couldn’t stop laughing all day. 😀

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi all to all my Cruise critic, friends. I’m a night person on the Royal Princess one morning I got up at 7am

and went to the adult swimming pool and took off all the towels on the lounge chairs that No one was on.

I went back to bed and went back at 11:30 am all that day people were talking about someone removing the towels. I said no kidding and couldn’t stop laughing all day. 😀

Tony

“I love humanity, it’s people I can’t stand.”

4 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Tony

Oh I love this!!  

• Like 2