Chef's table experience has been downgraded by coporate

DrSch

Was on the Caribbean Princess a week or so ago, and did the Chef's table.

The Chef, is no longer allowed to create the menu.  Corporate decided that the meal should always be the same dishes, on every ship, at every Chef's table.

The main was a choice of veal oscar or salmon,.  No steak. No Lobster, nothing special.

The desert was a lemon (made of chocolate) with something unremarkable inside. 

• Thanks 1

cost savings steps are the practice of the day .  Gone are the days of abundant lobster fest for the masses. The imphasis will be on presentation. But hey !  This may be the first time (and last) you get to enjoy caviar 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@DrSchThat is so disappointing. We did the Chef's Table twice and never felt the need to do it again, mainly because there was way too much food. Still, I can't believe that the only options were veal or salmon. We don't eat veal and salmon is an every day meal for us at home. 
A few years ago we discovered the Winemaker's Dinner (thanks to info gleaned on this site) and never looked back. Now we hear that has been changed to the Caymus and the fee is triple what it was. I understand that it is a superior wine, but I know we don't have the palate to appreciate it. I'm hoping they are offering the original Winemaker's on our upcoming Enchanted sailing. 
Yes, cost saving steps are the practice of the day, but if the meal doesn't offer something superior and unique, we might as well just go to the MDR. Why pay extra for it?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, trvlwrld said:

Caymus is now on the Enchanted, so we opted out of it on our cruise last month

Thank you for this info. I've been trying to find this out.
I know there are many posters on here with deeper wallets than I and a love for superior wine, but unfortunately, I can't justify the cost. We'll have to take a hard pass on this one. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DrSch said:

The Chef, is no longer allowed to create the menu.  Corporate decided that the meal should always be the same dishes, on every ship, at every Chef's table.

The main was a choice of veal oscar or salmon,.  No steak. No Lobster, nothing special.

We were on the Discovery last month, early October. We ALSO had choice of veal or salmon and the dessert was the lemon. While it's nice to hear that others in this thread had meals different than ours, if this phenomenon spreads and chefs are not given the opportunity to craft their own menus, we will no longer be interested. Truly disappointing. 

Edited by awsdrew
Clarification
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, DrSch said:

Doesn't seem that way.

@Saint Greg just did Chef's Table on the Regal within the last couple days & their menu was NOTHING like this.

• Like 1

@Saint Greg That one looks lovely. Hoping it won't be changed because it's part of Lumiere. Just like I don't suspect 360 will change. It's the "generic" chef's tables that will become generic. I liked that it was up to each chef. Those were some of my favorites, and the head chef's loved them too. At least, the ones I attended said they did. 

• Like 4

Guest Michael4650
4 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

@Saint Greg That one looks lovely. Hoping it won't be changed because it's part of Lumiere. Just like I don't suspect 360 will change. It's the "generic" chef's tables that will become generic. I liked that it was up to each chef. Those were some of my favorites, and the head chef's loved them too. At least, the ones I attended said they did. 

360 will not change because the visual presentation is set for each dish

We have gone to the WineMakers dinner 3 times in the past when it was $40 a person.  
Wow, it was so good!  They even served me Chilean Sea Bass, which was phenomenal.  
Sadly, we wouldn’t return now since the price has tripled.  Not only is it hard to eat that late, it is a lot of food!  
We have heard that the Chef’s Table serves even more food and that would just not be a good match for us. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

The OP had Chef's Table on Caribbean Princess which is not Lumiere, but I had many of the same dishes OP had on Discovery, which is a Lumiere experience. 

With all this said, this is anecdotal evidence. I'm actually now curious where the OP got their information from?

Edited by awsdrew

On 11/16/2023 at 8:29 PM, DrSch said:

What has made you think that because clearly the menu you had it not being served on other ships. 

It will be a sad day of the chef on each ship cannot use his/her own creativity in coming up with the CT or WMD.  I do understand that 360 is coordinated with the sensory stuff - and that one will change BTW.  Only the whole experience will change along with menu.  But as long as the theme is the current one, I imagine the dishes stay the same.

Just spoke to the head waiter and DRO on the Sapphire and the chef’s table has been changed by corporate.

It is now Veal or Salmon.  No longer lobster or filet. This will be the same fleet wide.  So, @DrSch DID hear it correctly.

Chef’s will all be preparing the same menu.

Royal class $140 PP

Other class ships $110 PP.

Already rolled out on the Sapphire.

SMH

• Like 1