Help me Decide Please

lv2cruisgrl

We are looking to book a Caribbean cruise for Oct/Nov 2024. We have been doing just Edge class ships since they launched and already have Ascent and Xcel booked.  Thinking of doing Silhouette or one of the other Solstice class ships.  (We have done them in the past)  We love the Edge class of ships, wondering if we do a solstice class will we enjoy it as much?  So for those of you that cruise a lot and like the Edge class of ships, do you think we will enjoy going back to the older class of ships?  I know this is a personal choice but want your opinion on the condition of the solstice class of ships.  We usually book an aqua class room or retreat. 

Thank you!

Silhouette received a full upgrade pre covid so is not as dated as her sisters. Equinox had a limited upgrade. Silhouette also, like Reflection, has the two additional restaurants of the Porch and Lawn Grill. If you are considering suites there is a suite deck with a jacuzzi, bar and a wide range of seating areas.

I have not cruised E class so can not compare them to Silhouette but Silhouette has a lot to offer over her sisters…

• Like 3

we have been doing mostly E Class since they came out, but are booked on Silho Concierge Class for a short cruise in Dec 2024.. There have been pos reviews so we'll give it a try going back to S Class!  Looking forward to the  Lawn Club Grill.

OP  Depending on price and itin you might want to book it....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hcat said:

we have been doing mostly E Class since they came out, but are booked on Silho Concierge Class for a short cruise in Dec 2024.. There have been pos reviews so we'll give it a try going back to S Class!  Looking forward to the  Lawn Club Grill.

OP  Depending on price and itin you might want to book it....

Thanks for the info....

4 minutes ago, dcbiker97 said:

Some of us love the S and M classes of ships way more than Edge class. 

I know, we love the Edge class.  So we may just stick with them.  Thought we may do Silhouette or Reflection but it sounds like Reflection has not had a redo in years.  We dislike worn out carpets, furniture, etc so we are also trying to find out what condition Reflection is in.  

1 hour ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

We are looking to book a Caribbean cruise for Oct/Nov 2024. We have been doing just Edge class ships since they launched and already have Ascent and Xcel booked.  Thinking of doing Silhouette or one of the other Solstice class ships.  (We have done them in the past)  We love the Edge class of ships, wondering if we do a solstice class will we enjoy it as much?  So for those of you that cruise a lot and like the Edge class of ships, do you think we will enjoy going back to the older class of ships?  I know this is a personal choice but want your opinion on the condition of the solstice class of ships.  We usually book an aqua class room or retreat. 

Thank you!

There are five Solstice class ships each with their own pros and cons.  Maybe narrow your question down a bit?  What did you like about the ships you have sailed on before?

What do you love about the Edge class? Eden, the high-tech theatre with fantastic production shows, the Martini Bar as the centerpiece of the Atrium, the Retreat pool with snack bar nearby? Silhouette won't provide these.

Cruised on Silhouette in a Celebrity Suite earlier this year. The ship has been revolutionized and looks very nice. Retreat lounge was an updated Michaels - nothing like the Edge class Retreat lounge. The sun deck was OK and meals in Luminae were nice.

Very little overlap in the specialty restaurants on Edge class and Silhouette. Which would you prefer if dining in a specialty?

Haven't sailed in Aqua, so can't compare. On Silhouette, many of the Aqua staterooms are under the pool or Fitness Center

Have not been on Reflection, but it has not been revolutionized. If it is in similar shape to the Solstice (sailed on in May), then it may be looking a bit tired.

Edited by MarKay525
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

I know, we love the Edge class.  So we may just stick with them.  Thought we may do Silhouette or Reflection but it sounds like Reflection has not had a redo in years.  We dislike worn out carpets, furniture, etc so we are also trying to find out what condition Reflection is in.  

Worn out carpets are quickly replaced. You won’t find anything that looks shabby on reflection

29 minutes ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

But WHY do you love the Edge class?

I like the restaurants although Le Voyage was a mixed bag.  Didn’t have the IV fortunately because we moved up to an SS. 

Next on Eclipse and looking forward to Murano after LV.  Then Millie with a Kelly SS.  Not excited about that.

If you are considering Retreat on S class there are way less suites so I find the Retreat areas more intimate and more personal service.  Silhouette and Reflection have larger Retreat Lounge with the U shaped bar and the extra specialty dining areas.  Reflection has more suites than the rest of the S class and the other retreat areas were not enlarged so there are some complaints about crowding in Luminae.  Silhouette would be your best choice if itinerary is a match if you enjoy the retreat features on Edge class.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, zitsky said:

But WHY do you love the Edge class?

I like the restaurants although Le Voyage was a mixed bag.  Didn’t have the IV fortunately because we moved up to an SS. 

Next on Eclipse and looking forward to Murano after LV.  Then Millie with a Kelly SS.  Not excited about that.

Your Kelly SS will be full of dead coral and other brick a brack that you may want to stash is any cupboard you're not using.  The stuff clogs the counter space, IMO.

13 minutes ago, marieps said:

Your Kelly SS will be full of dead coral and other brick a brack that you may want to stash is any cupboard you're not using.  The stuff clogs the counter space, IMO.

I appreciate the advice but why in the world would I want to put MY stuff on Kelly’s beautiful counter tops?  🙂

I’ve tried to warn my husband about the reduced bathroom storage but I think he’ll still have a fit when he sees how little storage there is.  We’ve never been on Millie before but I’ve seen videos.  I may take some cheap packing cubes and a hanging toiletry bag for the bathroom.

I know!  I’ll just ask the butler to organize our storage.  You know, the one we used to have.  😂

Edited by zitsky

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

There are five Solstice class ships each with their own pros and cons.  Maybe narrow your question down a bit?  What did you like about the ships you have sailed on before?

Like new ships because they are not worn out looking. I wish Celebrity would redo more ships.

• Like 1

If you're sailing the Caribbean and it's a port-intensive cruise, will the ship make THAT much difference? I understand considering amenities for repositioning cruises or those with a lot of sea days however, if you're only going to have a day or two at sea will it make a difference? Asking - only you can decide that. 

Also, if carpets that have some wear will lessen your experience then you may want to stick with new ships or those that were very recently upgraded or refreshed. 

2 hours ago, MarKay525 said:

Haven't sailed in Aqua, so can't compare. On Silhouette, many of the Aqua staterooms are under the pool or Fitness Center

We've had AQ rooms on all of the S-class ships (including Silhouette) at least a dozen times and haven't been impacted by noise from the pool deck. Note that I said 'not impacted' - on our last cruise we could occasionally hear carts rolling from above when we were on the balcony and that was only during the day when they were moving towels or something like that. 

3 hours ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

Why not try the Sun Princess?

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I appreciate the advice but why in the world would I want to put MY stuff on Kelly’s beautiful counter tops?  🙂

I’ve tried to warn my husband about the reduced bathroom storage but I think he’ll still have a fit when he sees how little storage there is.  We’ve never been on Millie before but I’ve seen videos.  I may take some cheap packing cubes and a hanging toiletry bag for the bathroom.

I know!  I’ll just ask the butler to organize our storage.  You know, the one we used to have.  😂

I guess I consider a counter top for storage first and display platform second.  Totally a personal thing.  If Millie looks anything like Summit you'll love the SS.  The deck furniture is very uncomfortable and dysfunctional, however.  Again, IMO.  Enjoy your cruise.

51 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

If you're sailing the Caribbean and it's a port-intensive cruise, will the ship make THAT much difference? I understand considering amenities for repositioning cruises or those with a lot of sea days however, if you're only going to have a day or two at sea will it make a difference? Asking - only you can decide that. 

Also, if carpets that have some wear will lessen your experience then you may want to stick with new ships or those that were very recently upgraded or refreshed. 

We don't usually spend much time in port Been there done that!  We just love being on a ship!

2 hours ago, lv2cruisgrl said:

Like new ships because they are not worn out looking. I wish Celebrity would redo more ships.

I am with you on that(new, shiny, bright and did I say new?), but Reflection was my favorite ship of S-class.  I enjoyed her Sunset Suites that were called S1 Corner Aft.  My DH would be happy on any Celebrity ship, not to mention other companies, but I am an E-class girl except for the high prices for suites nowadays, especially in Europe.  Although we are looking at two Norway cruises b2b on Apex.  We are back onboard Beyond this week, so maybe book those, but not in suites, although???

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I am with you on that(new, shiny, bright and did I say new?), but Reflection was my favorite ship of S-class.  I enjoyed her Sunset Suites that were called S1 Corner Aft.  My DH would be happy on any Celebrity ship, not to mention other companies, but I am an E-class girl except for the high prices for suites nowadays, especially in Europe.  Although we are looking at two Norway cruises b2b on Apex.  We are back onboard Beyond this week, so maybe book those, but not in suites, although???

We just got off Beyond only complaint was not enough staff in Eden and Martini bars.

• Thanks 1

Have sailed on the Edge and b/2/b Apex both in sky suites.  The ship is fabulous.  Loved the speciality restaurants.  However, we rely also love the silhouette and reflection.  We will be on the Silhouette for the third time,  in January-   You cannot go wrong with either ship. Love the lawn club grill on the Silhouette and Reflection, and Eden on the E class ships.  Pick the itinerary that suits you best and the price!  Enjoy.