Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

They add milk or cream to the eggs before they whip them to scramble. Standard classic chef recipe for scrambled eggs. The only noticeable difference in the cooking process is that they then cook them in the same tray that they use to serve them, which is why they have a uniform consistency.

BTW, the world record for cracking eggs (one handed) is 18 in 30 seconds.

I always make my scrambled eggs at home with milk, 1 tbsp per egg.  It makes them softer and fluffier.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

My first job as a grill cook was while I was in College, and I got really good at cracking eggs one handed - learned the technique from an ex-Navy cook while I was still in High School working as a soda jerk in a small diner. Fresh eggs are substantially less expensive per dozen than the ones that come pre made in a milk carton (~$4/dozen vs ~$11/dozen), and you can use them for any egg prep unlike premade which can only be used for scrambles or omelettes. 

Always watched though Modern Marvels type shows. One on Eggs, not perfect ones would go into the premade Milk Cartoon type... When got Hired as Burger King MGR almost 40yrs ago couldn't believe they cracked every egg for Breakfast Sandwiches, but that order came from Corporate. Thinking about it they always mixed milk into eggs also.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, island lady said:

OK...time for lunch.  Though Bucky thought the fish head (Red Snapper) had the best flavor!

According to Andrew Zimmern the cheeks are to die for. I'd rather die than try them. Unless I'm on Survivor going for the million dollars. 🤑

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Me neither.  But it seems this is a rather unusual cruise for RCI...so it is a rather unusual situation. Not sure this was really thought out in advance.  🤨

We have been to a number of ports in Europe that were working ports, and buses were used to take cruise ship passengers out of the secure area.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, doghog said:

According to Andrew Zimmern the cheeks are to die for. I'd rather die than try them. Unless I'm on Survivor going for the million dollars. 🤑

Oh silly...that is Grouper cheeks...not Red Snapper checks!  But you should have seen your bro attack the "little yummies" in that Snapper head.  😄  

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

What's that strange thing that Bucky has in his hand?  It just doesn't look normal. 😁😜

A bottle of water...but he was pointing out the little toy horse.  And no worries, he traded that bottle of water in later for a nice cold draft at lunch.  😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BND said:

My DH gets omelets there a lot.  It sometimes depends on how busy the station is.  I get around the crappy scrambled eggs by getting a completely plain omelet.

I have ordered fresh scrambled eggs with some tomatoes or spinach (sometimes a little cheese) at the omelet station occasionally.  They do a good job

• Like 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Has it been announced that they won’t? 

no?

I didn’t think so 

There's lots of speculation they won't as it didn't sell out.  That's good for the cruisers, but not the cruise line.  They probably need to rethink the length.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BND said:

There's lots of speculation they won't as it didn't sell out.  That's good for the cruisers, but not the cruise line.  They probably need to rethink the length.

OTOH, this seems to have generated a large amount of publicity. Worth sailing with a half full ship? (Assuming that does not change). Hard to tell.  But I think at least this sailing has been worth it for them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, jakeil7 said:

OTOH, this seems to have generated a large amount of publicity. Worth sailing with a half full ship? (Assuming that does not change). Hard to tell.  But I think at least this sailing has been worth it for them. 

I agree that even with less than 100% occupancy the free publicity and "halo effect" is likely to generate new bookings fleetwide well in excess of the reduced profit from a less than full ship.  It will be interesting to see if later segments see higher occupancy from all the exposure the trip is generating.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vibe said:

Hm. That must have been why the Today video interviews said that there was not drama 🤷‍♂️. But pins vs others is not a new thing and SOMEONE was going to complain about drama - that happens on a one week cruise. Not surprised. Also not judging - it could be a way to create views or RCCL giving those who have spent a lot with the company more face time. I’ve seen both and heard as much in these forums and on my trips. 

But if this isn’t real (or if it isn’t s just one passenger), there will be some other drama later I’m sure.  The clique-ish nature of humans is one reason I would think very hard about this trip if I ever did have enough money and time to do it.

so I will sit here on this thread and live vicariously through those actually on the trip. Hope you are enjoying your trip!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BND said:

There's lots of speculation they won't as it didn't sell out.  

Some of the European sectors are almost sold out. Just a handful of cabins available.  Will be interesting to see how busy the next quarter is.

You can still buy the mini sectors.

Other cruise lines do annual world cruises, so never say never 

Thanks for all the updates @island lady

As I dont do the other social media sites its great you're doing this on CC

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just catching up on the most recent comments and discussion here. I'll be on the segment from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso then on to LAX. Will report in with any pertinent observations.  Between the TikTok and the YouTube content creators it sounds like it will be busier than the average cruise. ( I'm not a social media content creator). 
Thank you all for your time. Have the best day you can. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

Some of the European sectors are almost sold out. Just a handful of cabins available.  Will be interesting to see how busy the next quarter is.

You can still buy the mini sectors.

Other cruise lines do annual world cruises, so never say never 

Thanks for all the updates @island lady

As I dont do the other social media sites its great you're doing this on CC

Aww...thanks!  I am l like you, I don't do the other media sites.....though from what I have heard, this cruise is a media sensation!  Even the crew is talking about it all the time.  I like CC for being a more laid back and calm site.  😉 

Indeed, I checked on the last quarter...looks totally booked, unlike this quarter that had many inside, outside, and balcony cabins left to book.  Since they were not, we are treated to a ship that is not crowded, has good service, and very little shortages.  🥰

• Like 11