Why I Love Brisbane

Brisbane is a beautiful place to live, great for families.  We used to smile when we were teased that Brisbane was like a big country town.  We knew, at that time, it was the biggest city in area in the world.  We all had big yards where we played footie in the back yard.  We had big wide gutters where we caught tadpoles.  Where I lived, a lot had big tennis courts in big yards, chooks in the back yard with mulberry trees in the chook pen for the chooks.  Most people had fruit and vegs growing in back yards.  If you lived near Italians, you were lucky, as they had green fingers and shared their cooking with neighbours.  Most people had stables and horses in their back yard.  Most people started in tiny garages, which they built, until they had enough money to build the big house.  Every so often a horse would get away.  I used to be terrified, drop the bike, with shopping falling on the road from the basket.  I used to give the shopkeeper a note and he would putting the potatoes, pumpkin, and tomatoes etc. in brown paper bags.  He knew not to give me inferior produce or I'd be back with another note!  I loved the treat of selecting so many lollies for a penny!

Shopkeepers never seemed impatient waiting for a small child to make his selection. I used to dawdle watched the blacksmith.  I used to buy fresh bread from the bakery.  I used to like the half a loaf with a small hill of bread at the end.  I would aim to make it look like I got the half a loaf with the dint at the end.  My uncle used to pay for an extra gift for me from Santa at the PMG.  What a wonderful day that was.  We used to go to Sunday School Picnics where we did all the favourite races (egg on a spoon, in sacks, etc.)  We walked a mile to and from Sunday School.  My biggest sin was joining the Anglicans at school because their class was more fun.  When I was found out, I was sent back to the Methodists.  I got a lecture about how the tutor was a volunteer giving of his own time. I'll always remember how ashamed I felt.

My grandmother thought that was rubbish.  In the bush, you went to whatever protestant church was the nearest.  When I thought about it, the Methodists were boring with no dancing, etc., but we sang hymns like angels.  

I love Italians to this day.  Italians picked up my daughter from school and minded the baby, whilst I worked.  There were always relatives from overseas visiting who were happy to nurse the baby.  I was blessed to be part of an extended family, I used to park my car in the yard of an Italian in the City, who watered his garden around the edge whilst he collected the car money.  Because I had a small car, I got to park under the stairs of the tall house.  He had tenants, who had seen better days, upstairs.  They were nice to my children and gave them money to spend at the Ekka.  But, when they thought I wasn't listening, I'd hear them say "I don't know how she got a licence."

Parts of "old Brisbane" still exist.  In our culdesac, we use plastic tape, left behind by Council Workers, to tie across the street.  Everyone brings a plate to share and the couple who have been there the longest cook sausages on a BBQ.  I always took hot cheerios which the children love.  Everyone brings their own alcohol.  Most decorate their yard with coloured lights except me, as I can't reach.  I give my nearest neighbour a carton of Old Northern Beer.  My grandmother used to give the nightsoil man a couple of bottles of beer, even though we didn't drink.  My FIL gave his former boss a carton of beer, even though he put him off before Christmas.  It

was just what you did!

The Brisbane City Council puts on three free Christmas parties a day for Seniors, at the beautiful Brisbane City Hall.   They put on Concerts in the same City Hall on Tuesdays for Seniors.  Then there is the GOLD Programme.  No-one should be bored living in Brisbane!

Brisbane is like a big country town and we are blessed.

• Like 5

Oh Marion

The nostalgia you stir up, so can identify with everything you say, including making sure which half of the loaf you got from the bakery. Always made sure I got the one with the larges bump, that turned into a hollow on the way home. Only for me it was a country town, way out in the boonies.

Funny thing that way out little town, is now a suburb of greater Melbourne.

Unfortunately Brisbane (Hate that word Brisvegas) is going the same way to some extent, but our little bit of paradise is valiantly fighting the trend, and is still considered a backwater by many.

Oh I do love Brisbane, yes the humidity is a pain, however our wonderful back deck catches beautiful sea breezes most days, those we don't just retreat inside and turn on the AC, and we manage to survive the 8 to 10 weeks of humid weather, then lay back and enjoy 42 weeks of pure joy.

Which those poor southerners sniffle & snuffle their way through 45 weeks of misery.

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Oh Marion

The nostalgia you stir up, so can identify with everything you say, including making sure which half of the loaf you got from the bakery. Always made sure I got the one with the larges bump, that turned into a hollow on the way home. Only for me it was a country town, way out in the boonies.

Funny thing that way out little town, is now a suburb of greater Melbourne.

Unfortunately Brisbane (Hate that word Brisvegas) is going the same way to some extent, but our little bit of paradise is valiantly fighting the trend, and is still considered a backwater by many.

Oh I do love Brisbane, yes the humidity is a pain, however our wonderful back deck catches beautiful sea breezes most days, those we don't just retreat inside and turn on the AC, and we manage to survive the 8 to 10 weeks of humid weather, then lay back and enjoy 42 weeks of pure joy.

Which those poor southerners sniffle & snuffle their way through 45 weeks of misery.

Some of what Marion wrote was my life growing up by the coast in south west Victoria too. The bread, when I was a child was delivered by a horse drawn van and during school holidays, the deliveryman always had extra fruit buns for us. Where did you grow up John? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

BTW, Brisbane is finally in the winners circle for some of this year's national sports competitions, with the AFL women's team winning.

We saw the last ten minutes. A great last quarter by the Lions. And perfect Melbourne weather for it.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Some of what Marion wrote was my life growing up by the coast in south west Victoria too. The bread, when I was a child was delivered by a horse drawn van and during school holidays, the deliveryman always had extra fruit buns for us. Where did you grow up John? 

We had a lot of that too growing up in Newcastle suburbia. It reads like a typical upbringing for many of us around the country from that era.

We had bread delivered by the co-op's horse and van, and they were paid for with tokens. I remember that the person would sometimes give us a free horseshoe shaped bun, but found out years later that mum had paid for them.

Love the nightsoil man reference. We still have rear access to our property from the laneway that all the outhouses used to back on to. The nightsoil man, aka ship pan man in our world, used to hate my grandparents dog as he had a knack of getting out and chasing the man and the splashing pans up the laneway.

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, possum52 said:

In a little town called Lalor, it was it's own town but the town next to it Thomastown grew and and the two merged into one big combined town, walked all the way to Epping the next major town outward from Melbourne, to go to school rain hail or sunshine, almost in bare feet, there were holes in the soles filled with cardboard. no problems we thought it was normal, and it was....

Epping is also a suburb now!!! I hate cities...

I'm a basic country boy.🤠 Will always be at heart.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Lol, I grew up with a sewerage system and other mod cons like cars and trucks. 

Oh you missed out, the nightcartmens job could be fill with all sorts of excitement.🤣

We had milk; bread; ice; men as well as the nightcartman, also the rag and bone man and bottle man, go by, the advantage of living on the edge of the town.

The disadvantage was we only had dirt roads, which was fine, except during winter when they turned to slush.😂

7 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

In a little town called Lalor, it was it's own town but the town next to it Thomastown grew and and the two merged into one big combined town, walked all the way to Epping the next major town outward from Melbourne, to go to school rain hail or sunshine, almost in bare feet, there were holes in the soles filled with cardboard. no problems we thought it was normal, and it was....

You would be a northern suburbs boy now John. I rarely drive into that part of Melbourne these days unless we are heading to Albury. But it is very much a growing area. 

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Lol, I grew up with a sewerage system and other mod cons like cars and trucks. 

Our bread van changed to engine power when I was 6. Thankfully, the only time I had to brave a freezing run to the outhouse was when I stayed at my grandparents.

40 minutes ago, possum52 said:

You would be a northern suburbs boy now John. I rarely drive into that part of Melbourne these days unless we are heading to Albury. But it is very much a growing area. 

I know I took my wife down to see where I grew up, believe it or not but I could not find it, everything had changed, from farm lands right out to Broadmedows, and way across to Whitlesea, it was heaven for little boys, raiding the farmers hay stacks for mice, rabbiting along the convict stone fences, it was a wonderful life, as I remember it. my parents probably had different views.

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

Screenshot_20231110-202154_Facebook.jpg

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

By the way Leigh where did you grow up, Ballarat area?

59 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I grew up in Warrnambool John. Came to Melbourne to live as a new bride and have lived here ever since.

A beach girl, great place to grow up, spent a few holidays there.

Is Fletcher Jones still existing down there?

As a young man bought most of my good clothes from Fetcher Jones, great quality clothing.

Just now, Ozwoody said:

A beach girl, great place to grow up, spent a few holidays there.

Is Fletcher Jones still existing down there?

As a young man bought most of my good clothes from Fetcher Jones, great quality clothing.

Yes it was a great place to grow up John. Summer days spent at the beach with siblings and cousins. 

No Fletcher Jones in Warrnambool now. The factory closed in 2005 although the gardens are still open to the public. 

24 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes it was a great place to grow up John. Summer days spent at the beach with siblings and cousins. 

No Fletcher Jones in Warrnambool now. The factory closed in 2005 although the gardens are still open to the public. 

That is so sad about FJ's, do they still exist at all?

Tragic that great Aussie companies are dying due to cheap crappy stuff from overseas keep flooding in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

... walked all the way to Epping ... to go to school rain hail or sunshine, almost in bare feet, there were holes in the soles filled with cardboard. no problems we thought it was normal, and it was....

🤣 Now that brings back memories - I'm a Londoner born and bred so like @MicCanberra we grew up with a sewerage system and other mod cons like cars and trucks. However, it was common for holes to suddenly appear in the soles of our only shoes and the usual remedy was a temporary cardboard patch filling until mum could get to the shops to buy us new ones. No bleating back then about how disadvantaged we were 😄

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jean C said:

🤣 Now that brings back memories - I'm a Londoner born and bred so like @MicCanberra we grew up with a sewerage system and other mod cons like cars and trucks. However, it was common for holes to suddenly appear in the soles of our only shoes and the usual remedy was a temporary cardboard patch filling until mum could get to the shops to buy us new ones. No bleating back then about how disadvantaged we were 😄

Our family repaired our shoes ourselves with a kit. The girls wore sandals to school and the boys went bare foot, so guess that saved on shoe leather.  We only had  to walk up our street to the back entrance to the school.  The lady at the top of the street used to put Queensland Nuts in her letterbox for me.  No Queensland Nuts were called Macadamia Nuts back then.  

• Like 1