Why I Love Brisbane

20 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Our family repaired our shoes ourselves with a kit. The girls wore sandals to school and the boys went bare foot, so guess that saved on shoe leather.  We only had  to walk up our street to the back entrance to the school.  The lady at the top of the street used to put Queensland Nuts in her letterbox for me.  No Queensland Nuts were called Macadamia Nuts back then.  

What a lovely neighbour 😊 Dad had a shoe last so did some repairs. He always added stick on soles and those metal moon shaped things to the heels of our new shoes 🙂 School wasn't far away but back in those days we'd always be off having adventures around the neighborhood with friends, much safer back then than it is nowadays, although of course tragedies still happened to some kids, ie the Moors murders (Myra Hindley) 😪

We were so poor - I had a bicycle with only one pedal. My family were so ignorant that they had no idea how to get it fixed. 🙂 But I survived.  Unfortunately any similarity between the Brisbane of the 50/60s and today is purely coincidental  😞

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

We were so poor - I had a bicycle with only one pedal. My family were so ignorant that they had no idea how to get it fixed. 🙂 But I survived.  Unfortunately any similarity between the Brisbane of the 50/60s and today is purely coincidental  😞

My bike was a fixed wheel one, (where the the peddles keep turning all the time), if you lost contact with them you had to wait until you slowed down enough to be able to get your feet back on. Oh there was no brakes as such, you had to jam your foot on the back wheel at the top of the folks, it tended to be unkind to your shoes some what.😂

Dangerous? why would you think that????

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Lol, luxury, we were so poor my parents couldn't afford to give me a middle name

I used to wonder what children who didn't have a middle name thought.  Did they feel cheated?  I didn't like my second name, so I gave myself a third name.  Elizabeth, after the Queen no less!  All my children's books, dictionary, etc. had the third initial on them.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Brisbane is a fine place to visit as well. It is the humidity that I don't do well in.

You get used to it, Mic.🙂 We moved to the Gold Coast after 15 years in Cairns. Humidity? What humidity?😂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jean C said:

🤣 Now that brings back memories - I'm a Londoner born and bred so like @MicCanberra we grew up with a sewerage system and other mod cons like cars and trucks. However, it was common for holes to suddenly appear in the soles of our only shoes and the usual remedy was a temporary cardboard patch filling until mum could get to the shops to buy us new ones. No bleating back then about how disadvantaged we were 😄

And no 'can't live without designer brand footwear'

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Pet Hates -

Brissy

Brisvegas 

Brisbane pronounced Brisbane (like train) rather than Brisbin, mainly by foreigners.

Not sure if I would be run out of town. I have long been a BrisBen person.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Not sure if I would be run out of town. I have long been a BrisBen person.

The only one that really peeves me is the vegas bit, can't think of how in the world that anyone could connect the two as somehow being sister cities.

Sorry it's just an outright insult to Brisbane.

Rant over....😡

• Like 2

On 12/3/2023 at 9:55 AM, MMDown Under said:

We knew, at that time, it was the biggest city in area in the world.  

Are you sure about this? It was said decades ago (and nothing to be proud of I felt, unlike your pride in Brissie's spread) that Melbourne had the biggest urban sprawl in the world. Melbourne is massive and these days even takes in the whole of the Mornington Peninsula.

I had two years on the Gold Coast at the start of the 1980's and I remember well how once you left the outskirts of Brisbane's southern edge there was 50 minutes of nothing before getting to the northern edge of the Gold Coast. Open fields and rusting tin sheds.

The last time I attempted to fly into Brisbane and drive down to the Gold Coast was 15 years ago or so and I spent about two and a half hours of agony in multi-lane bumper-to-bumper traffic and I vowed never to do that drive again. Gone are the days of having to take the young kids to the 'Worlds' during our holiday.

19 hours ago, possum52 said:

Some of what Marion wrote was my life growing up by the coast in south west Victoria too. The bread, when I was a child was delivered by a horse drawn van and during school holidays, the deliveryman always had extra fruit buns for us. Where did you grow up John? 

Even Melbourne suburbs, Leigh. Quarter acre blocks with fruit trees, flowers and tomatoes; yabbies in the local lake in the park; horse-drawn milkcart until the late 1970's. People still keep chickens in various parts of Melbourne; people across the road from us had chooks when my kids were growing up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I used to wonder what children who didn't have a middle name thought.  Did they feel cheated?  I didn't like my second name, so I gave myself a third name.  Elizabeth, after the Queen no less!  All my children's books, dictionary, etc. had the third initial on them.  

That was very bold of you. I didn't like my names but it would never have occurred to me to change them or add more. My family would have laughed at me if I had!

Just now, LittleFish1976 said:

Even Melbourne suburbs, Leigh. Quarter acre blocks with fruit trees, flowers and tomatoes; yabbies in the local lake in the park; horse-drawn milkcart until the late 1970's. People still keep chickens in various parts of Melbourne; people across the road from us had chooks when my kids were growing up.

Unfortunately the 1/4 acre blocks probably now have multiple dwellings on them. Well, they do in our suburb, 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Are you sure about this? It was said decades ago (and nothing to be proud of I felt, unlike your pride in Brissie's spread) that Melbourne had the biggest urban sprawl in the world. Melbourne is massive and these days even takes in the whole of the Mornington Peninsula.

I had two years on the Gold Coast at the start of the 1980's and I remember well how once you left the outskirts of Brisbane's southern edge there was 50 minutes of nothing before getting to the northern edge of the Gold Coast. Open fields and rusting tin sheds.

The last time I attempted to fly into Brisbane and drive down to the Gold Coast was 15 years ago or so and I spent about two and a half hours of agony in multi-lane bumper-to-bumper traffic and I vowed never to do that drive again. Gone are the days of having to take the young kids to the 'Worlds' during our holiday.

I think that is based on the Brisbane City Council boundaries. Greater Melbourne is a slightly larger area than Greater Brisbane, but made up of several LGA's. It is a quirk of timing I guess.

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

The only one that really peeves me is the vegas bit, can't think of how in the world that anyone could connect the two as somehow being sister cities.

Rant over....😡

I always thought Brisvegas was referring to the Gold Coast

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I think that difficulty is in the definition of the word "City" . In days long gone when it was claimed that "Brisbane" was the largest city in the World, it was because there was only one Brisbane City Council. Melbourne and Sydney had several "Council" areas. Sydney City Council covers quite a small area. London is a huge "city" - but the City of London is very small. 

2 hours ago, bazzaw said:

London is a huge "city" - but the City of London is very small. 

One square mile 🙂 I married a Kiwi and he used to say how Auckland was bigger than London [groan]. Technically yes, but no comparison 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Actually its was not the largest city, but the largest local council area.

Most cities are made up of many local councils, or LGA's.

Brisbane is one large council.

2 hours ago, bazzaw said:

I think that difficulty is in the definition of the word "City" . In days long gone when it was claimed that "Brisbane" was the largest city in the World, it was because there was only one Brisbane City Council. Melbourne and Sydney had several "Council" areas. Sydney City Council covers quite a small area. London is a huge "city" - but the City of London is very small. 

What some people think of as Brisbane includes Logan; Redlands; and Ipswich.

Which lumped all together would make it one of the largest, but they are separate cities in their right.

Its just that the spread has linked them all together as if one place.

It probably is I guess, at least in living environment practice.

5 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Rant over....😡

It was meant ironically. Las Vegas as a 24 hour excitement city and Brisbane as the opposite.

• Like 1