Powdered drinks and ice

space27

Just wondering if we're allowed to bring things like powdered hot chocolate, coffee and stuff like that onboard, and what are the limits of it? Also, a pretty dumb question, but this seems to mean a lot to my daughter - is there free ice in the buffet?

I've never tried to bring powdered hot chocolate or coffee but I always bring hydration/electrolyte powders (like ZipFizz and Ultima) and have never had a problem.  I believe others have mentioned bringing Starbucks Via on the ship.  And yes to free ice in the buffet.  I take my insulated tumbler into the buffet and get ice and water throughout the day.  (Ice and water go in a cup and then into the insulated tumbler so as to not contaminate the ice and water dispensers)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, space27 said:

Just wondering if we're allowed to bring things like powdered hot chocolate, coffee and stuff like that onboard, and what are the limits of it? Also, a pretty dumb question, but this seems to mean a lot to my daughter - is there free ice in the buffet?

Absolutely no issues with Crystal Light and Starbucks Via.  Never leave home without them.

34 minutes ago, space27 said:

You can bring all of that, but the buffet provides free coffee, tea, and hot chocolate.  And ice is not only readily available in the buffet, but at any bar onboard. And your room steward will also happily fill your ice bucket in your room twice daily.  They only ask that you don't directly fill your own container from the dispensers in the buffet, but use their cups to dispense, then dump into your own container.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

You can bring all of that, but the buffet provides free coffee, tea, and hot chocolate.  And ice is not only readily available in the buffet, but at any bar onboard. And your room steward will also happily fill your ice bucket in your room twice daily.  They only ask that you don't directly fill your own container from the dispensers in the buffet, but use their cups to dispense, then dump into your own container.

Wait, so there are ice dispensers in the buffet?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, space27 said:

Wait, so there are ice dispensers in the buffet?

There are coffee dispensers, hot water dispensers, juice dispensers at breakfast, flavored water dispensers after breakfast, and ice and water dispensers all day. And hot chocolate packets and tea bags.  Princess makes sure we're well hydrated.

Edited by iamaqt2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, iamaqt2 said:

There are coffee dispensers, hot chocolate dispensers, juice dispensers at breakfast, flavored water dispensers after breakfast, and ice and water dispensers all day.  Princess makes sure we're well hydrated.

I don’t remember seeing hot chocolate dispensers on Princess. My dad would bring the Nestle hot chocolate packets with him on every cruise because you had to pay for hot chocolate at the International Cafe.

Just now, tonit964 said:

I don’t remember seeing hot chocolate dispensers on Princess. My dad would bring the Nestle hot chocolate packets with him on every cruise because you had to pay for hot chocolate at the International Cafe.

You're correct.  I edited my post once I remembered that it was in packets to add hot water to.  The packets were available in the buffet.

11 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

You're correct.  I edited my post once I remembered that it was in packets to add hot water to.  The packets were available in the buffet.

Actually the packets in the buffet were discontinued many years ago, that’s why he brought his own. 
ETA: To the OP, you’re able to bring drink packets with you and there is no limit.

Edited by tonit964

I've been on Princess Cruises before but we rarely went to the buffet for ice, and now my daughter is nagging me about it. I'm aware most cruiselines have coffee, but she's very picky and I want to make sure she is allowed to bring the drink packets that she likes.

4 minutes ago, space27 said:

I've been on Princess Cruises before but we rarely went to the buffet for ice, and now my daughter is nagging me about it. I'm aware most cruiselines have coffee, but she's very picky and I want to make sure she is allowed to bring the drink packets that she likes.

She will have no problem bringing them.

I don't recall seeing hot chocolate at the buffet on the Ruby for free like on the Royal class ships.

Possibly you had to ask for it??

There was definitely a charge for it at the IC but was included with the package.

9 hours ago, space27 said:

Bring all you want.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

On Sky now, and they have a machine for use in the buffer for hot chocolate,  no charge. Not sure about other ships.

In September the Regal had a hot chocolate dispenser at the Horizon Terrace aft of the Horizon Court.  I made a Cafe Diablo (coffee and hot chocolate)  every morning and watched the sun come up over the horizon from the Horizon Terrace aft of the Horizon Court.

I always carry a container or three of instant Cafe Mocha by Maxwell House.  Never had an issue.  They're too busy scanning for booze, hair dryers, and power strips.

• Like 2

Some people have reported that the hot chocolate made at the IC was better than that served in the buffet. I didn't see much difference but then again I don't normally drink hot chocolate. 

Edited by MissP22

On 12/4/2023 at 4:19 AM, kywildcatfanone said:

On Sky now, and they have a machine for use in the buffer for hot chocolate,  no charge. Not sure about other ships.

For some reason, free buffet hot chocolate is available on the new ships...old ships missed out.

However, it was available on the (gone, but not forgotten) Pacific Princess.😢

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Like 2