Tropical Cyclone Jasper forming off the Queensland Coast December 2023

Tropical Cyclone Jasper forming off the Queensland Coast. 

The BOM said tropical cyclone Jasper is causing sustained winds of 75km/h near it centre, with gusts of up to 100km/h

Are there any cruise ships heading north?  December is early for Cyclones.

I visited the Whitsundays after a Cyclone passed through.  Incredible damage to housing, the islands and the trees stripped bare.  Some of the popular resorts didn't reopen, which was sad.  You could still visit them on day trips, but not stay in resort accommodation.  When I next visited the farmer, who grew delicious rambutan, I commented that it was lovely to see the greenery back on the trees.  Oh no, she replied, when the trees loose their canopy, the weeds take over! They had no fruit to sell!

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Enjoy, no matter where you end up.

This cruise has been doomed for us. We originally booked to see our new grandson for Xmas who unfortunately didn’t live, then we decided still to go to see our son and now???? We wish we had the opportunity to cancel. Have even done a Covid test this morning!

Edited by resordanis

3 minutes ago, resordanis said:

This cruise has been doomed for us. We originally booked to see our new grandson for Xmas who unfortunately didn’t make life, then we decided still to go to see our son and now???? We wish we had the opportunity to cancel. Have even done a Covid test this morning!

I'm so sorry to hear of your sad loss and I can only hope for you that this cruise holiday is salvaged somewhat and you end up with some good memories 🙏 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, resordanis said:

This cruise has been doomed for us. We originally booked to see our new grandson for Xmas who unfortunately didn’t live, then we decided still to go to see our son and now???? We wish we had the opportunity to cancel. Have even done a Covid test this morning!

I am so sorry, my condolences to you and your family. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, resordanis said:

So sorry to learn of your heartache at this Festive time of year. Did you check with Head Office whether you could cancel under your particular circumstances.  You might reach an understanding person - not everyone is heartless. 

• Like 1

Waiting to hear from RCI with a new itinerary for Brilliance on Friday.   Whilst it is of course disappointing when our plans have to change,  it is nobody's fault (well, maybe Mother Nature's),  After reading the earlier post from "resordanis" it sure made me get things in perspective and realise how fortunate I am.  So sorry for your sad loss and circumstances.   Who knows, we might meet each other on the cruise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Tropical Cyclone Jasper forming off the Queensland Coast. 

The BOM said tropical cyclone Jasper is causing sustained winds of 75km/h near it centre, with gusts of up to 100km/h

Are there any cruise ships heading north?  December is early for Cyclones.

Australia cyclone season 

The Australian cyclone season officially runs from November to April, although very few have occurred in November.

1 minute ago, highflier01 said:

Australia cyclone season 

The Australian cyclone season officially runs from November to April, although very few have occurred in November.

Yes it is cyclone season, but early in the Cyclone Season,  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, highflier01 said:

Australia cyclone season 

The earliest cyclone to cross the Queensland coast was Cyclone Althea on Christmas Eve 1971. I hope that this latest cyclone won't come very far south, even to Central Queensland. My reasoning is that the ocean off Southern Queensland hasn't warmed as much as it will by January.

27 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Speculation of the seas is at it again!

There is a fair amount of speculation that history will repeat. Quantum of the Seas was scheduled to be heading to North Qld today, but they don't want a bar of this cyclone and are heading south to Sydney instead. Timing is everything though, but the Jasper predictions don't sit well with your itinerary. Brisbane, Tangalooma, Newcastle are likely the only northern ports possible.

One way or another, I expect you will hear something official by tomorrow morning. Those on Quantum were able to cancel yesterday.