Tropical Cyclone Jasper forming off the Queensland Coast December 2023

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I spent all my Summer school holidays in Mackay region and the islands.  I have a healthy respect for the power of cyclones.  The damage left behind from a tropical cyclone has to be seen to be believed.  Mackay had huge gutters for when the king tides and cyclones came in.  Everyone lived in high houses on stilts, with push out windows.  The old kerosene lamps and small stoves were handy when the power inevitably went out.  They also used candles so everyone had light.  My uncle had his good billiard table under the house, where it was cool to play in the summer.  But when the cyclones and king tides came suddenly, the billiard table and big refrigerator just floated out.  They used to get all the residents and holiday makers off the islands for safety.  It is sad to see some of the islands never recovered.  Travelling to different islands from Shute Harbour used to be a popular day trip. Mackay used to be the main airport hub for the islands and cruising before Proserpine.   I used to love staying on all the different islands, with day trips to the Great Barrier Reef, fishing trips, and trips to other Whitsunday Islands.  Island life was perfect for families, where full board included everything.  

It sounds idyllic 😊

10 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes I heard the staff had been evacuated.  Wouldn't be much protection on the island. 

According to the news piece, they are still there and may be evacuated by early next week if required. The structure has been built to withstand a Cyclone cat 5.

1 minute ago, Jean C said:

It sounds idyllic 😊

Oh it was. I have personal memories from age 2.  I saw koalas swim between the islands, watched adults eat big oysters straight off rocks, ate delicious freshly cooked tropical fish cooked on a single ring metho cooker, used to sit quietly and listen to the stories of fishermen who used to come to my aunt's island for cooked fish and drinks. I used to start pestering when are we leaving on the Sunlander.  We always left before the school holidays to enable my grandmother to get train tickets with a sleeper.  We also returned home early to avoid cut rail lines due to cyclones. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

According to the news piece, they are still there and may be evacuated by early next week if required. The structure has been built to withstand a Cyclone cat 5.

They have learned from experience. The last big one through there (Yasi) wiped out most of their equipment and pretty much everything else, but the buildings survived. It has been a regular target for cyclones, so it must be a great spot for a weather station.

8 minutes ago, arxcards said:

They have learned from experience. The last big one through there (Yasi) wiped out most of their equipment and pretty much everything else, but the buildings survived. It has been a regular target for cyclones, so it must be a great spot for a weather station.

It is, they actually get weather there every day of the year.

Right now, we’ve had no power for over an hour..  Massive storm moved through rapidly from the west, heading towards Les now.  Most of Canberra in blackout, although our daughter’s home in Woden Valley unaffected.  Romantic candlelit evening.  Just finished dinner with a glass of chilled sav blanc when we were enveloped in blackness.  Always have candles at the ready, so quite relaxing, really🥰

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Definitely a good idea to avoid nth Queensland.

My brother and SIL live in Cairns.  They are bracing, but they always have the cyclone routine down pat.  All possible preventative measures, then hunker down with non-perishable supplies.  Spoke with them today.  They’re chilled but ready and wary.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Right now, we’ve had no power for over an hour..  Massive storm moved through rapidly from the west, heading towards Les now.  Most of Canberra in blackout, although our daughter’s home in Woden Valley unaffected.  Romantic candlelit evening.  Just finished dinner with a glass of chilled sav blanc when we were enveloped in blackness.  Always have candles at the ready, so quite relaxing, really🥰

We had the storm, but didn't lose power.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We had the storm, but didn't lose power.

Power just restored 20 mins. ago, (it's 9.00am now) so we were without power all night.  Emergency teams have done a fantastic job;  there were thousands of homes without power apparently.  Our son is at the coast and he said the light show down there was amazing, but they didn't lose power, so Les should also be fine.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Jasper is now a Cyclone 4 heading towards the North Qld. Coast.  The main area of concern is between Cooktown and Mackay,

BOM

Further North. BOM's 4am update:

Jasper should start to move to the west by Sunday towards the north Queensland coast and reach the coast by about Wednesday. The highest risk of a cyclone impact lies between about Cape Melville and Townsville, including Cairns and Cooktown commencing on Tuesday. As Jasper approaches the coast there is a risk of re-intensification and the potential for severe impacts.

This model is currently accurate, and consistent with BOM. The BOM will only forecast 72 hours ahead, so there are no official cyclone warning and watch areas until tomorrow. 

Capture_86.thumb.jpg.f123ba1b7d78588f85772b486fa33eeb.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Power just restored 20 mins. ago, (it's 9.00am now) so we were without power all night.  Emergency teams have done a fantastic job;  there were thousands of homes without power apparently.  Our son is at the coast and he said the light show down there was amazing, but they didn't lose power, so Les should also be fine.

Good stuff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mareblu said:

All ok down here, certainly a massive lightning , thunder and rain show. Cooling down a littlle now, down to a balmy 29c, was 33 earlier. Mr Walker and co woul be copping it at Penriff, 42 forecast. Stay cool.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Good weather for a well chilled sauv blanc Linda.

amy-schumer-white-wine-huge-glass.jpg.c285ae2f39c421936a48aa4173840321.jpg

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NSWP said:

All ok down here, certainly a massive lightning , thunder and rain show. Cooling down a littlle now, down to a balmy 29c, was 33 earlier. Mr Walker and co woul be copping it at Penriff, 42 forecast. Stay cool.

Our son and DIL sat outside on the balcony and marvelled at the lightning;  some bolts striking the water.  Not my idea of entertainment😳

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Our son and DIL sat outside on the balcony and marvelled at the lightning;  some bolts striking the water.  Not my idea of entertainment😳

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think that this is Australia.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think that this is Australia.

Love it:

Brings forth the nighttime heat

That certain texture, that certain beat.

(Gang Gajang:  Sounds of Then)

Some words bring this land to life.  I still remember reading that in Australia you can hear the heat.  Brilliant.

And when I listen to the words of every verse of “We Are One”,  I simply yearn for this evocative, stirring piece of music and touching lyrics to be our national anthem.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Mr Walker and co woul be copping it at Penriff, 42 forecast. Stay cool.

All good Les. Very hot but we have the AC cranking & plenty of crownies in the fridge. Just having a few bets on the horses 🐎 

Hope all’s well with you mate.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mr walker said:

All good Les. Very hot but we have the AC cranking & plenty of crownies in the fridge. Just having a few bets on the horses 🐎 

Its a wonder those ponies aren't collapsing on the home straight.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Onya young Neil crack a few icy cold Crownies mate, beer of champions.

• Like 1