Tropical Cyclone Jasper forming off the Queensland Coast December 2023

10 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

I can just see you...cheers, Les!🍷

The heavy rain smashed my smiths cheese and onion chips and watered down my jacobs creek pinot noir lol. Fear not I am a survivor, I hope, lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Our son and DIL sat outside on the balcony and marvelled at the lightning;  some bolts striking the water.  Not my idea of entertainment😳

Been out seeing the Christmas lights in Sydney tonight.  We had a storm move through in the late afternoon that dropped the temps by 10C in 10mins but tonight when I got out of the car, it felt like we were going to get another storm.  As I was taking a photo of one of the decorated homes, there was a big flash that lit up the sky behind it.  Decided to start making the long walk back to the car.  Then  started to see distant lightning bolts.  Definitely picked up the pace then - wanted to get back to my car before the lightning got any closer.

Amazing footage on the news tonight of a guy from Mudgee NSW packing gear into his car.  He suddenly realises he has left his wallet in the house.  A moment after he disappears from the video (dashcam video from a car parked nearby) you see a bolt of lightning hit the tree next to his car (Hyundai Getz) and all the tree limbs crash onto his car. His car is written off.  Going to retrieve his walket saved him from serious injury.
All caught on dashcam footage from a car parked nearby.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Been out seeing the Christmas lights in Sydney tonight.  We had a storm move through in the late afternoon that dropped the temps by 10C in 10mins but tonight when I got out of the car, it felt like we were going to get another storm.  As I was taking a photo of one of the decorated homes, there was a big flash that lit up the sky behind it.  Decided to start making the long walk back to the car.  Then  started to see distant lightning bolts.  Definitely picked up the pace then - wanted to get back to my car before the lightning got any closer.

Amazing footage on the news tonight of a guy from Mudgee NSW packing gear into his car.  He suddenly realises he has left his wallet in the house.  A moment after he disappears from the video (dashcam video from a car parked nearby) you see a bolt of lightning hit the tree next to his car (Hyundai Getz) and all the tree limbs crash onto his car. His car is written off.  Going to retrieve his walket saved him from serious injury.

What a close call!  I think every Australian family,  who lives in tropical storm territory, has a family survival story similar to this.  Mine as told to me by my grandmother.  The storm seemed to have passed them by.  They had taken a new poddy calf under the farm house built up on stilts.  Well, the storm turned around and came back and a big bolt of lightening struck under the house.  She must have survived the storm as she told me the story.  The moral was never stand under a tree thinking you were safe from lightning.  House rules during a storm, or a storm approaching from cooee, no phones, no touching any metal, no eating with metal utensils, no showers, no movement near windows, and an invitation to join my grandmother under her bed with her china potty. My grandmother knew of someone who had died from "everything", which was possibly true being isolated in the bush.  My country heritage has never left me, despite being born and bred in the big city.  I voted for roll bars being compulsory on farm vehicles which the CWA takes to Government.  Any overnight visitor to my house had to adjust to his car being protected from hail storms by a big blanket and his reversal windows wrapped up.  As you can see I survived to tell my family stories!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I saw that close call story on the News last night.  Mudgee guardian angel, he must be thinking.  Can you post your photo?  It would be amazing with the background lightning.  Stay safe, everyone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I saw that close call story on the News last night.  Mudgee guardian angel, he must be thinking.  Can you post your photo?  It would be amazing with the background lightning.  Stay safe, everyone.

Around 15 years ago we were with a 'walking' club at The Spit (Gold Coast) at dusk. A storm rolled in and I and a couple of others sheltered under the awning of a toilet block. A bolt of lightning made a direct hit on a tree a few metres away. The CRACK was absolutely deafening and super scary. More so because hubby was in a car ferrying other walkers to safety at the time, so I was worried about him as well as myself! Fortunately, everyone was ok but I have never been so close to a strike and never want to be again.

Also when we lived in Cairns, we were on the periphery of a cyclone (can't remember the category) and the winds were pretty intense to the extent that our sliding glass windows were 'bowing' in and out. There was also flooding in the aftermath and I remember walking through knee deep water (in the aptly named Lake Street) to get to work (after the storm had passed, of course). Waste of time as it turned out as they closed the office that day. Would have been nice if the boss had thought to ring employees to tell us that.

• Like 2

Not watering down the potential impact of Cyclone Jasper, but my eldest grand daughter  the vet, who did uni JCU at Townsville for 5 years on site  and worked there as a mobile vet for  2.5 years, told me me the locals up there are quite complacent re cyclone warnings, she went through half a dozen warnings.

She is now working in Armidale NSW, in her own mobile vet business.  I hope this complacency  does not impact on the locals in FNQ. Batten down the hatches

• Like 3

Just now, NSWP said:

Not watering down the potential impact of Cyclone Jasper, but my eldest grand daughter  the vet, who did uni JCU at Townsville for 5 years on site  and worked there as a mobile vet for  2.5 years, told me me the locals up there are quite complacent re cyclone warnings, she went through half a dozen warnings.

She is now working in Armidale NSW, in her own mobile vet business.  I hope this complacency  does not impact on the locals in FNQ. Batten down the hatches

On 12/10/2023 at 10:29 AM, ceeceeDee said:

Around 15 years ago we were with a 'walking' club at The Spit (Gold Coast) at dusk. A storm rolled in and I and a couple of others sheltered under the awning of a toilet block. A bolt of lightning made a direct hit on a tree a few metres away. The CRACK was absolutely deafening and super scary. More so because hubby was in a car ferrying other walkers to safety at the time, so I was worried about him as well as myself! Fortunately, everyone was ok but I have never been so close to a strike and never want to be again.

Also when we livedI knq in Cairns, we were on the periphery of a cyclone (can't remember the category) and the winds were pretty intense to the extent that our sliding glass windows were 'bowing' in and out. There was also flooding in the aftermath and I remember walking through knee deep water (in the aptly named Lake Street) to get to work (after the storm had passed, of course). Waste of time as it turned out as they closed the office that day. Would have been nice if the boss had thought to ring employees to tell us that.

I know Lake Street (we stayed in an apartment there last year), it's not too far from the seafront, so could easily see that it would flood. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Cycloner Jasper intensifies to Category 2 and starts to cross the far Nth Qld Coast  The eye of the storm is expected to cross the Coast between 5 an 6 pm.  If the cyclone crosses water, it is likely to increase further,  

bom

Spoke with my family this evening.  They still have power, so that is always their main concern.  Wind has freshened to a good blow (but no more, so far, than a tropical storm), and the rain, they know, will increase to a deluge and endure for days to come.  They are prepared as much as they can be, and still chilled.  I think my brother "went troppo" decades ago.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Spoke with my family this evening.  They still have power, so that is always their main concern.  Wind has freshened to a good blow (but no more, so far, than a tropical storm), and the rain, they know, will increase to a deluge and endure for days to come.  They are prepared as much as they can be, and still chilled.  I think my brother "went troppo" decades ago.

It appears a milder cyclone so far, but you can never second guess a cyclone.  Its hasn't diverted from its path heading to the Far North Queensland Coast. My great aunt and uncle lived on an island in the Whisundays.  They built their sturdy little cabins to meet cyclone conditions and they did. I find the most frightening is being in the eye of the cyclone.  

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 6:52 PM, possum52 said:

I know Lake Street (we stayed in an apartment there last year), it's not too far from the seafront, so could easily see that it would flood. 

Correct, Possum, and our office was up the end of the street nearest the waterfront. Also, from memory, Lake Street was so named because there is a water course below it.

52 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Global warming cyclone🌀 , 🤣 ,we use to call it weather ! Now in the old days ,1974 Christmas,  Tracey she was a cyclone . 

https://www.nma.gov.au/defining-moments/resources/cyclone-tracy

Weather is one off events, climate change is long term trends.  One cyclone is weather but an increase in frequency or intensity over time is climate change.

• Like 2

Whether or not the weather we are getting is due to climate change is no comfort for those whose lives and properties are affected adversely. The biggest difference is who to blame for increased intensity, frequency and numbers of the weather events and how we can go about reducing the catalysts that cause these events.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Weather is one off events, climate change is long term trends.  One cyclone is weather but an increase in frequency or intensity over time is climate change.

Nope we had weather ever day ... still do and it's always a chance of a few showers ...

2 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Correct, Possum, and our office was up the end of the street nearest the waterfront. Also, from memory, Lake Street was so named because there is a water course below it.

I just looked it up as I was interested to know the origin of the name too - from the local council website street names is the following - Named after Captain T. A. Lake the Skipper of the SS Victoria, one of the first vessels to Cairns. 

This would make sense as the street runs almost to the waterfront. 

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Whether or not the weather we are getting is due to climate change is no comfort for those whose lives and properties are affected adversely. The biggest difference is who to blame for increased intensity, frequency and numbers of the weather events and how we can go about reducing the catalysts that cause these events.

Nature?

this cyclone has Maybe pushed celebrity cruises to drop price

ive Just booked celebrity edge

infinite veranda GTD for cairns ,port douglas

sydney .dept,jan 25 .2024for under $200 per person,per  night..!!!!

10 night cruise

i seen her when docked in sydney last week,real fancy...

and of the price payed ,theres $1564 in taxes..

.im paying just under. total $4k.2 pax total

same cruise cabin  feb 24 is $1200 per person more

i just payed...

woo hoo.

Edited by challis
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, possum52 said:

I just looked it up as I was interested to know the origin of the name too - from the local council website street names is the following - Named after Captain T. A. Lake the Skipper of the SS Victoria, one of the first vessels to Cairns. 

This would make sense as the street runs almost to the waterfront. 

Hi Leigh, thanks for the info. Perhaps the subterranean watercourse was an urban myth, but Lake Street used to flood on a regular basis near the waterfront. Whatever the origin of the street name it was both apt and accurate!😂

• Like 1