Tropical Cyclone Jasper forming off the Queensland Coast December 2023

1 hour ago, highflier01 said:

Australia cyclone season 

The Australian cyclone season officially runs from November to April, although very few have occurred in November.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes it is cyclone season, but early in the Cyclone Season,  

We are almost through the first week in December, not that early

• Like 1

1 hour ago, highflier01 said:

Australia cyclone season 

The Australian cyclone season officially runs from November to April, although very few have occurred in November.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes it is cyclone season, but early in the Cyclone Season,  

From the BOM website - on past experiences with El Nino years, the first cyclone to make landfall is usually later than normal - so this is not a normal occurrence.

• In El Niño years, the first cyclone to make landfall on the Australian coast typically occurs later than normal, around the second week of January. This is compared to all years where the date of the first tropical cyclone to make landfall over Australia is typically in early January.

The latest update from the BOM predicts that Cyclone Jasper (evidently named after my grandpuppy) is expected to make landfall north of Mackay.

Edited by possum52

5 hours ago, resordanis said:

Yes, We are heading there on Friday on Brilliance of the Seas.

It looks like Royal Caribbean has disconnected the office number in North Sydney.

A few people have tried to get onto them and it’s only the call centre number. Wait for ever and hope for someone that understands English.

The cyclone is predicted to affect the Queensland coast early next week.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

.We are almost through the first week in December, not that early

It is early in the cyclone season. The earliest recorded cyclone to cross the Queensland coast was Cyclone Althea on 24th December 1971. It devastated Townsville and the surrounding region. If cyclone Jasper crosses the coast as is likely, it will be a couple of weeks earlier than that.

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

From the BOM website - on past experiences with El Nino years, the first cyclone to make landfall is usually later than normal - so this is not a normal occurrence.

• In El Niño years, the first cyclone to make landfall on the Australian coast typically occurs later than normal, around the second week of January. This is compared to all years where the date of the first tropical cyclone to make landfall over Australia is typically in early January.

The latest update from the BOM predicts that Cyclone Jasper (evidently named after my grandpuppy) is expected to make landfall north of Mackay.

Some models are showing this may not make landfall as an active cyclone, but as a tropical low/storm. If that is the case, the January prediction could remain intact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Cyclone season starts November, 5 weeks ago, so not early for a cyclone, which was my point.

It is just not early for one on land for qld.

Although 1st November is officially the start of the cyclone season, in practical terms, it isn't the start of the season. Early December is very early to have a cyclone off the Queensland coast. Usually the first cyclones of the season are off the Kimberley, or near the Cocos Islands.

21 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Although 1st November is officially the start of the cyclone season, in practical terms, it isn't the start of the season. Early December is very early to have a cyclone off the Queensland coast. Usually the first cyclones of the season are off the Kimberley, or near the Cocos Islands.

Correct,  except for cyclone Lola and Mal in the south pacific which have also affected our cruise season so far, as well as inclement weather off the Queensland coast.

17 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

11 nights, where is the rest of the cruise 

8/12 leave Sydney

9/12 cruising

10/12 Eden

11/12 Cruising

12/12 Adelaide

13/12 Cruising

14/12 Melbourne

15/12 Cruising

16/12 Hobart

17/12 Hobart

18/12 Cruising

19/12 Sydney

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DT1304 said:

8/12 leave Sydney

9/12 cruising

10/12 Eden

11/12 Cruising

12/12 Adelaide

13/12 Cruising

14/12 Melbourne

15/12 Cruising

16/12 Hobart

17/12 Hobart

18/12 Cruising

19/12 Sydney

I haven’t received the email as yet, but know the changes are happening. Interesting that there is no option to cancel except thru TI. We had decided to go anyway…wherever it was going. In Sydney already and having a drink near Resilient Lady! PS The only email I have had today is re my OBC.

Edited by resordanis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, resordanis said:

I haven’t received the email as yet, but know the changes are happening. Interesting that there is no option to cancel except thru TI. We had decided to go anyway…wherever it was going. In Sydney already and having a drink near Resilient Lady! PS The only email I have had today is re my OBC.

So happy to hear you are joining us on the cruise, even though it is disappointing for you to not see your son especially due to your families recent loss.  Our friend Ros is cruising with us and she will now get to see her son James as he lives in Hobart.  My husband and I have never been to Tasmania and James has offered to pick the 3 of us up both days and show Davy and I all the major sights. This is very exciting for us.

I hope we all have a wonderful cruise and I hope you get to see your son soon.

18 minutes ago, ddvgww said:

So happy to hear you are joining us on the cruise, even though it is disappointing for you to not see your son especially due to your families recent loss.  Our friend Ros is cruising with us and she will now get to see her son James as he lives in Hobart.  My husband and I have never been to Tasmania and James has offered to pick the 3 of us up both days and show Davy and I all the major sights. This is very exciting for us.

Thank you. We have good friends in Adelaide who we will go to lunch with and I do like Salamanca Markets, so that will be enjoyable. We did book a tour for Eden but Melbourne….not for me.🤣. You will live Hobart, it is a most wonderful place to visit. Hope you have a great cruise….we will!

8 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Thank you. We have good friends in Adelaide who we will go to lunch with and I do like Salamanca Markets, so that will be enjoyable. We did book a tour for Eden but Melbourne….not for me.🤣. You will live Hobart, it is a most wonderful place to visit. Hope you have a great cruise….we will!

For Melbourne, if the weather is fine, walk to St Kilda along the beach, have a nice cake and a (moderately okay) coffee, and walk back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ddvgww said:

It is always wonderful to be met by someone local to show you around, on a cruise.  We deverted to Boston to avoid a hurricane.  We spent a wonderful day with a girlfriend there.  I was disappointed to miss the scheduled island and haven't been there since.

15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We tend to explore a lot on our own, not all of us have a girlfriend in every port. :classic_laugh:

I think we may have a different definition of "girlfriend".  When we stayed in the posh Fairmont Empress hotel in Victoria, the chap on the counter asked if we wanted a Queen bed.  I don't know which of us was the most shocked. I am a fan of the Grand Railway Hotels of Canada. 

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I think we may have a different definition of "girlfriend".  When we stayed in the posh Fairmont Empress hotel in Victoria, the chap on the counter asked if we wanted a Queen bed.  I don't know which of us was the most shocked. I am a fan of the Grand Railway Hotels of Canada. 

Perhaps, I am not a sailor apparently.

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

For Melbourne, if the weather is fine, walk to St Kilda along the beach, have a nice cake and a (moderately okay) coffee, and walk back.

That’s a pretty good walk mic . It looks like 10-12 kilometres  return.

On 12/6/2023 at 7:47 AM, resordanis said:

Yes, We are heading there on Friday on Brilliance of the Seas.

I read the email.

We are excited about welcoming you on the fabulous Brilliance of the seas ,oh there’s a bit of a change.

No compensation Cheryl?  

Edited by Chiliburn