Ship Design / Amenity idea submission?

JohnBergless

Has anyone ever through of an idea of something that should be offered or featured on a ship? What’s the best way to get an idea to the right people? 

Crazy as it may sound, I have come up with an amazing idea… can’t say it here though. These companies and ship builders are always trying to out-do each other….. all dreams start somewhere!

• Like 1

I hardly think that any idea that you might have thought of hasn't been discussed by the people who design ships for a living.  Also that may even get lots of suggestions on how to do things better and all of them will be tossed unread,

DON

• Like 1

The cruise lines have staff at the corporate level whose responsibility lies with new design and innovation.  My suggestion would be to check the different cruise line websites for their corporate leadership and start there with a phone call to that HQ to see to whom you should contact.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

2 hours ago, JohnBergless said:

Has anyone ever through of an idea of something that should be offered or featured on a ship? What’s the best way to get an idea to the right people? 

Crazy as it may sound, I have come up with an amazing idea… can’t say it here though. These companies and ship builders are always trying to out-do each other….. all dreams start somewhere!

Hey, don’t leave us hanging: do “say it here”.

Unless, of course, you are seeking patent rights or something similar.  The best way of getting acceptance of a new idea is to spread it, enlist others to support it, start a wave to sweep into existence.

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I hardly think that any idea that you might have thought of hasn't been discussed by the people who design ships for a living.  Also that may even get lots of suggestions on how to do things better and all of them will be tossed unread,

DON

I can't disagree with you more.

• Like 3

I met a person who made a small but impactful suggestion to a hotel director onboard.  She was rewarded with small gifts and a nice OBC and her idea was implemented fleet wide.  I remember her telling me about it and thinking “good idea” but for the life of me I can’t recall the details😂

As long as you accept you may not receive compensation go for it.  Customers aren’t always right but sometimes they are awfully clever 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JohnBergless said:

Over the past 50 years on ships, I have received hundreds of “great suggestions” about what we could be doing.

A few of them were brilliant and do-able, and actually were put in to practice.

Most never made it due to:

Flag State Regulations

Port State Regulations

US Coast Guard Regulations

IMO Restrictions 

Safety Considerations

Cruise Line Legal Department Objections

Insurance Company Objections

Captain / Safety Officer Objections

Costs

Competition for onboard revenue

Logistical Issues

But it costs you next to nothing to try.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, JohnBergless said:

I'm struggling to understand how your idea could be proprietary.  Spill it.  What is it? 

3 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I'm struggling to understand how your idea could be proprietary.  Spill it.  What is it? 

It could be.  We don’t know the background of this individual and he may have ideas related to his own commercial expertise.  We could start another thread called “suggestions for cruise lines” but you know where that would go

Edited by Mary229
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Only great companies go to the trouble of listening to customers.     

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It could be.  We don’t know the background of this individual and he may have ideas related to his own commercial expertise.  We could start another thread called “suggestions for cruise lines” but you know where that would go

C'mon.  Let's be real here.  If that were true, he wouldn't need to turn to Cruise Critic.  

• Like 1

OK- here’s my big idea. Work with me here… maybe not even on a ship; Vegas? All Inclusive? Disney? 

Virtual snorkeling. ThinkThe Vegas Sphere… then think Imax/MetaQuest VR meets snorkeling in a 3ft deep warm pool.

Imagine you’re in this heated/temperate pool… you put your face in the water… and the ENTIRE pool bottom and sides are transformed into some

kind of giant 3D video/led/projection screen.

Imagine snorkeling the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor, or snorkeling with whales, sharks; or over the Titanic wreck…… all while floating in 3 feet of water. It could be licensed to Universal…. now picture snorkeling over the famous Ben Gardner’s Boat from JAWS…. Or snorkeling with your kids with Nemo, or with Winter the Clearwater Dolphin.  Or the underwater world from Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars. Or snorkeling with Octopus or Crabs….. almost anything that’s under water.

The technology would have to be perfected… but remember where you heard it first!!!!

VIRTUAL SNORKELING….. coming to a Mega Ship in 2028 LOLOL

Dont tell me I’m nuts - because I already know that.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JohnBergless said:

OK- here’s my big idea. Work with me here… maybe not even on a ship; Vegas? All Inclusive? Disney? 

Virtual snorkeling. ThinkThe Vegas Sphere… then think Imax/MetaQuest VR meets snorkeling in a 3ft deep warm pool.

Imagine you’re in this heated/temperate pool… you put your face in the water… and the ENTIRE pool bottom and sides are transformed into some

Imagine snorkeling the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor, or snorkeling with whales, sharks; or over the Titanic wreck…… all while floating in 3 feet of water. It could be licensed to Universal…. now picture snorkeling over the famous Ben Gardner’s Boat from JAWS…. Or snorkeling with your kids with Nemo, or with Winter the Clearwater Dolphin.  Or the underwater world from Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars. Or snorkeling with Octopus or Crabs….. almost anything that’s under water.

The technology would have to be perfected… but remember where you heard it first!!!!

Great idea!  The Star Wars reference kind of made it hit home for me.  

For the more adventuresome, being chased by great whites!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnBergless said:

Sounds fun.  I would definitely give it a try.  

• Like 1

The technology would have to be perfected?? The technology would have to be invented. A pool formed or at least faced seamlessly with waterproof screens of that high quality, and that can withstand the water forces and foot traffic? How many millions of dollars in R&D for that?  Hire operators capable of running and maintaining it. Supply and maintain the equipment the guests had to wear. Allocate a large dedicated space on one of the outdoor decks and install it,  removing said space from general public use. Yeah, I can just see all the cruiselines fighting each other for that. How many people could they throughput on any given day, and how much would they need to charge to recoup their costs and show a profit?

I believe you have a fine example of blue sky thinking with no idea of how to turn it into a practical reality.

37 minutes ago, mom says said:

The technology would have to be perfected?? The technology would have to be invented.....How many millions of dollars in R&D for that?..... Allocate a large dedicated space on one of the outdoor decks and install it,  removing said space from general public use......How many people could they throughput on any given day, and how much would they need to charge to recoup their costs and show a profit?

IMO the most valid point you make is with ROI and loss of real estate value for some other venue to allow for this. The investment may be too high and the end use too low to provide enough of a return and other more profitable venues would likely occupy that real estate.

But don't sell new idea technology challenges short or the willingness for cruise lines to invest in them.  As examples, if you are familiar with RCCL look at Two-70, or with Celebrity Eden.  Both venues are cutting edge in technology and are a competitive draw that must be worth the R&D that went into them - and are not separate charge venues.  But they are daily use, high volume venues, which in that manner would certainly differ from this idea.

Not disagreeing with you, but I never fault anyone for their ideas - many of today's products started as blue sky thinking.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, mom says said:

The technology would have to be perfected?? The technology would have to be invented. A pool formed or at least faced seamlessly with waterproof screens of that high quality, and that can withstand the water forces and foot traffic? How many millions of dollars in R&D for that?  Hire operators capable of running and maintaining it. Supply and maintain the equipment the guests had to wear. Allocate a large dedicated space on one of the outdoor decks and install it,  removing said space from general public use. Yeah, I can just see all the cruiselines fighting each other for that. How many people could they throughput on any given day, and how much would they need to charge to recoup their costs and show a profit?

I believe you have a fine example of blue sky thinking with no idea of how to turn it into a practical reality.

To me you don't do this with waterproof screens in a large pool but rather with a waterproof VR headset (much like a snorkeling mask) in a smaller pool that would allow the person to move around a little bit in the water but not an unlimited amount.

• Like 5

One of the biggest challenges the cruise lines face is one that passengers never consider.

When we build a new cruise ship, we only install enough crew beds to accommodate what is needed TODAY. We know that there will be a need for more crew beds in the future - perhaps the very near future, as we add more concepts and ideas. But in order to keep overall costs down, we never build space for extra crew beds.

So when a new regulation, or a new restaurant, or a new virtual pool idea requiring more crew comes along (and it always does), the biggest argument against it is “no available beds for required crew”.

So how do we get around this problem?

Easy. Replace non-essential crew with crew required for the new concept.

That is when you start noticing that the cabin stewards now have more cabins to service and restaurant service is slower because the fewer waiters must take care of more tables.

Even a brilliant concept that requires more crew onboard will not happen if the cost vs. profit calculation cannot overcome the inevitable guest satisfaction drop that happens when service crew are replaced.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, auntmeg said:

To me you don't do this with waterproof screens in a large pool but rather with a waterproof VR headset (much like a snorkeling mask) in a smaller pool that would allow the person to move around a little bit in the water but not an unlimited amount.

Or this. 😁

https://vr-snorkel.com/

Edited by auntmeg

Notice I said it may not be on a cruise ship. I didn’t want to spill the beans but I did. momsays…. thank you for your uplifting, kind words. You’re right mom…. I’m not a cruise ship designer and i’m a dumbass. I guess just like the retard who thought about a gokart track on a ship; or a surf style flow ride getup; or rock climbing, or a central park, or a live tree or a real lawn….. such idiots……. who in their right mind would think that would ever work?? well Hey Mom….. dreams come true…. don’t be afraid to take a chance in life and never ever squash other people’s dreams. ever.

Edited by JohnBergless
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mom says said:

The technology would have to be invented. 

6 hours ago, Harry Lake said:

The first one would cost a lot. The rest not nearly as much.

The technology has already been invented.   Of course, it would have to be adapted for this concept. 

• Like 1