Viking River Cruise - Bringing Water/Soda on-board polciy

drowelf

I've search the internet and poured over the cruise contract and can not find any reference to the policy on Viking River Cruises about bring water and/or soda on-board at boarding. Does anyone have the answer to this question? What is their policy? I'm also going to have my TA call them and ask. 

TIA

@drowelf not only can you bring your own water & soft drinks onboard, you can also bring your own wine, beer and alcohol. We dont' sail with Viking, but we always have our attendant clear out our fridge so we can put our own stuff in it.

Since Viking only serves soft drinks with lunch & dinner (the rest of the time I think you pay for them), if you like certain ones, stashing them in your fridge should be no problem. I think they provide you with water every day. 

7 hours ago, Canal archive said:

I’m sorry but I must ask this question - are you actually concerned about the quality of European water? And Soda excuse me why?

No problems with ships water, but as this is our first time on Viking, I believe free soft drinks are only available with meals as I read things. I don't drink alcohol, so I like a soda or two in the evenings or during day at non-meal times. The DW likes to have some bottled water to take off the ship with us on ShoreEx and possibly store in the fridge (or balcony for this colder trip). Does Viking just give out bottles of water for free at any time? Is soda available any time for no cost? 

As I said, first time on Viking River and I could not find any definitive answers on-line. So I thought I'd ask. 

We were on Viking River two months ago and I can confirm that there are always water bottles available, but soda only during meals.  There is a table set up by the main desk which is always filled with water bottles for you to bring on excursions or back to your room.  In addition, there are two glass water bottles in the rooms which are always refilled/replaced as needed.  If you stay in a Veranda Suite they will also stock your in room fridge with soda and other drinks, but I'm not sure if that's the case for the other room categories.  Maybe someone else can weigh in, but you're definitely fine with water - there's plenty of that!

• Like 1

There are also water dispensers (sparkling or still) at the coffee stations outside the lounge area.

But there are no security checks on these longboats like there is on the ocean cruises. You just scan your room key on and off so they know when you are onboard. There's no check of what you are bringing on with you.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

No problem with European water or pop, but some of us need diabetic caffeine free, thus usually have to resort to non stop water to stay hydrated. Its nice to have a variation to break up the boredom without landing in emerg.

I don’t think I have seen caffeine free cola in many European trips but Diet Sprite (or maybe it is now Sprite Zero) seemed to be fairly common. 

As I dislike plastic bottles we travel with refillable - ship water was very nice and readily available in the cabin and at the coffee station.  Also you can bring any soda you like onboard with you.  I was able to find local grocery stores in our embarkation (and other) ports to buy soda if wanted.  Happy to have booked our next river cruise but it is a long way out.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

I don’t think I have seen caffeine free cola in many European trips but Diet Sprite (or maybe it is now Sprite Zero) seemed to be fairly common. 

Unfortunately our last 2 Viking cruises didn’t have Sprite Zero - only Coke Zero which has caffeine.

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

Unfortunately our last 2 Viking cruises didn’t have Sprite Zero - only Coke Zero which has caffeine.

I wasn't commenting on availability on the cruise; rather on availability in general. I have never seen caffeine free diet cola in Europe, anywhere. On the other hand, diet Sprite was frequently available in restaurants (here in Canada the only diet drink generally available in a restaurant is a caffeinated cola), as well as in many small snack stops and tourist spots.

19 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

It's a toughie staying on much needed caffeine free. Never knew it could be such a problem with the old ticker. Even caffeine free has a small amount. Ahh to be young again.....

If you can find it 7-up always stated about caffeine "never had it never will". So diet 7-up should be ok too. The problem is that, in my experience, Coca Cola products (Sprite) are generally much more common in Europe than Pepsi products (7-Up).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

If you can find it 7-up always stated about caffeine "never had it never will". So diet 7-up should be ok too. The problem is that, in my experience, Coca Cola products (Sprite) are generally much more common in Europe than Pepsi products (7-Up).

Strangely, we were in Ireland for 9 days 6 years ago and EVERY pub and restaurant had Diet 7-UP, Mrs Sharkster was thrilled!

• 2 weeks later...

Viking river cruises will allow you to bring any beverage you want onboard.
Water is  always available as is tea and coffee.

We have never drank diet soda and rarely drink any type of soda, so I don’t know what is available in European stores that you would e able to carry onboard, although you would have no trouble bringing on anything.

We do the premium liquor  package, so wine and spirits are always available, but I thought that beer and wine are always included for dinner.

BTW, and spirits and wine when purchased with the upgraded package are an incredible value if you drink either. 
The bartenders are the best, and the drink package costs much less than on our domestic lines.

My husband, a scotch and bourbon snob, is in heaven when he is onboard. And, I, a wine drinker, cannot  believe the quality difference in the local wines served and what I buy at home in the USA. 

4 hours ago, trivia addict said:

Viking river cruises will allow you to bring any beverage you want onboard.
Water is  always available as is tea and coffee.

We have never drank diet soda and rarely drink any type of soda, so I don’t know what is available in European stores that you would e able to carry onboard, although you would have no trouble bringing on anything.

We do the premium liquor  package, so wine and spirits are always available, but I thought that beer and wine are always included for dinner.

BTW, and spirits and wine when purchased with the upgraded package are an incredible value if you drink either. 
The bartenders are the best, and the drink package costs much less than on our domestic lines.

My husband, a scotch and bourbon snob, is in heaven when he is onboard. And, I, a wine drinker, cannot  believe the quality difference in the local wines served and what I buy at home in the USA. 

Beer and wine are included during both lunch and dinner with Viking (and most if not all other lines)

• Like 1