Getting Diamond Status

tvo7

On 12/17/2023 at 12:45 PM, teddie said:

Don't worry if some here laugh at your aspirations. I was thrilled to get to Diamond, and I really like the lounge with its evening snacks and cappuccino machine. I also enjoy it after hours to get work done, as I am also self-employed. The 4 daily drinks are the huge draw--that's another $60 per day we are not spending. 

We chose an 11-nighter in a JS to get our final 22 points, and it was a great cruise, to boot.

Enjoy your travels,

Teddie

This question may not matter if you have already reached Diamond Plus, but will you still be happy when Diamonds are no longer allowed in the lounge formerly know as Diamond? It’s not a question of if this will happen, it’s just a question of when. 

14 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

This question may not matter if you have already reached Diamond Plus, but will you still be happy when Diamonds are no longer allowed in the lounge formerly know as Diamond? It’s not a question of if this will happen, it’s just a question of when. 

I totally agree with you on this. The UPPERCASE writing is on the wall. Why else would they change the name? It is being done in a very slow process (to ease the pain and complaints) but eventually there will be no more Ds in the Crown Lounge. 

I'm with the OP. Rcl has the same effect on me. I dont belong to any other clubs, airlines or hotels. Nothing but this. I want that next thing. Carnival blew it. You hit diamond, their top tier any then nothing and one free pay dinner, one upgrade. ... once you use these 2 perks there is nothing else beyond the 200 pt level. Nothing to gain by doing that "get to the next perk".

Even at pinnacle royal has started to draw me in, ok if you do more pts we will give you a free cruise. Though beyond pinnacle not as much to keep drawing me in, but not there yet. Usually pinnacles get a better lunch at the cheers with a officer, though on harmony we got the good steak. I think first time I've ever had it. I had always stayed away thinking they couldn't cook it enough, but 2 out of 3 they did. One week was red inside. I am in between MW and well, a step before its shoe leather. Allure we got rib eye and pinnacles a fillet...so harmony I say fabulous food lol. And would also order this fillet mignon again. 

I know that its true to get to pinnacle cost 1000s as someone posted, I still feel a pull to get there. Rcl knows me! Ha. I can feel the pull just to conquer that mountain. Imo its structured to pull you in like it does me. Lol I'm even happy with upgraded toiletries so I dont have to bring shampoo and condition. I admit i love free free. ..even if i paid to get there. I dont care how many post it's stupid to feel this way, to get to the next tier. I admit I would rather have a free perk than pay for it directly. Carnival doesnt make me want more, rcl program does. 

Carnival btw I hit diamond, doing that journey cruise out of texas jan 13 2023 and I absolutely dont care, except I have heard rumblings of changing carnival loyalty program so maybe it's not a bad idea to go ahead and nail diamond over there, not for the current perks, just who knows how they might change it. Their only good perk imo is priority boarding and tenders and debarking. I'd rather keep them as is so doesnt hurt I'll turn diamond, just their one time special rewards arent structured with the same allure as rcl. For me. 

I say go for it OP. Tune out the nay sayers.

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Even at pinnacle royal has started to draw me in, ok if you do more pts we will give you a free cruise. Though beyond pinnacle not as much to keep drawing me in, but not there yet. Usually pinnacles get a better lunch at the cheers with a officer, though on harmony we got the good steak. I think first time I've ever had it. I had always stayed away thinking they couldn't cook it enough, but 2 out of 3 they did. One week was red inside. I am in between MW and well, a step before its shoe leather. Allure we got rib eye and pinnacles a fillet...so harmony I say fabulous food lol. And would also order this fillet mignon again. 

I know that its true to get to pinnacle cost 1000s as someone posted, I still feel a pull to get there. Rcl knows me! Ha. I can feel the pull just to conquer that mountain. Imo its structured to pull you in like it does me. Lol I'm even happy with upgraded toiletries so I dont have to bring shampoo and condition. I admit i love free free. ..even if i paid to get there. I dont care how many post it's stupid to feel this way, to get to the next tier. I admit I would rather have a free perk than pay for it directly. Carnival doesnt make me want more, rcl program does. 

You do realize that P's have lost a great many benefits? Probably more than the other levels and likely more to come. 

M

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, tvo7 said:

This has opened my eyes.  If I go for diamond, spend all that time taking weekend cruises then to have a new announcement , "sorry buddy, crown lounge is only for pinnacle and suites only". I would be totally devastated.  

Do you think that can ever be a possibilty?

I would console myself with the 4 drinks per day. 

(I just sailed in a suite for the first time this month on Anthem, and spent about 5 minutes total in the concierge lounge (only available to suite guests) just to take a look. I guess I don't care about special access lounges much. There are much more fun areas on the ship).

Edited by GimmeOcean

16 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I can feel the pull just to conquer that mountain. Imo its structured to pull you in like it does me. Lol I'm even happy with upgraded toiletries so I dont have to bring shampoo and condition. I admit i love free free. ..even if i paid to get there. I dont care how many post it's stupid to feel this way, to get to the next tier. I admit I would rather have a free perk than pay for it directly.

I laughed when I read your post.  We are about 100 points from Pinnacle and sometimes (actually, more and more often) I feel the pull to design bookings to reach P as quickly as possible.  That fever generally passes quickly and we go back to booking cruises for the joy of cruising in the manner that makes sense for that cruise.  We’ll get there when we get there.  It will be soon enough. 

16 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I say go for it OP. Tune out the nay sayers.

If the OP just wants to climb the loyalty ladder (as you do), that’s fine…enjoy.  The OP now understands that crown lounge access may or may not be a D benefit in the long run.  

The rest of us know Lucy has a history of pulling the football away from Charlie Brown.  Now the OP knows Lucy’s history.  The OP can now make an educated decision whether to take a run at that ball or not.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/17/2023 at 11:57 AM, Another_Critic said:

Looking to upgrade my C&A status.  Any single female Pinnacles interested?  😉

I told DW if she kicks off I’m not remarrying for money. I’m going to remarry for stays. Pinnacle status 🤪

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I have to wonder how true these statements could possibly be "It's my life long dream to become Diamond", "I feel extra special in the DL". Geez it seems like chain yanking to me. 

This was my thoughts too but calling someone the T word can get you suspended. So I’ll just follow the thread along to see where it goes.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, GimmeOcean said:

I would console myself with the 4 drinks per day. 

(I just sailed in a suite for the first time this month on Anthem, and spent about 5 minutes total in the concierge lounge (only available to suite guests) just to take a look. I guess I don't care about special access lounges much. There are much more fun areas on the ship).

Agreed.  I'd rather sit in the promenade and people watch then the lounges.  Actually, my balcony with drinks works as well.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, tvo7 said:

This has opened my eyes.  If I go for diamond, spend all that time taking weekend cruises then to have a new announcement , "sorry buddy, crown lounge is only for pinnacle and suites only". I would be totally devastated.  

Don't concern yourself or worry about a possibility. Other than a simple name change to the lounge, Diamonds have not been excluded from the CL and on "some cruises" Diamonds have only been excluded in the evening from the CAS HH. I've also read here on CC where some have posted their experiences with being allowed in the CL for the evening HH was for a specified time and not excluded entirely. Go with the flow and wait to see what happens on your specific cruise when you reach Diamond. 

17 hours ago, tvo7 said:

There is no doubt in my mind diamonds will eventually be banned from the “new” crown lounge. At a recent lunch with officers, several of the officers stated they didn’t change the name of the diamond lounge just to change it. While they didn’t state in black and white diamonds would be banned in the future, it was pretty obvious reading between the lines. Otherwise, there would be no reason to change the name of the lounge. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I'm curious what benefits P's have lost?

1. Reduced/Denied Access to Suite Lounge

for starters -off the top of my head

2. access to Coastal Kitchen

3, Bridge Tour

4. Galley Tour

5. Meal with an officer (dinner on some ships) often held in specialty restaurant 

6. Embarkation lunch ( was  offered on some ships) 

7. Complementary group photo of P's just prior to meal with an officer.

8. Cocktail party with suite guests and officers

9. Sail away party ( Suite/Pinnacle) on helipad ( Oasis class where access is restricted) 

10 specialty breakfast is now often held in MDR, not specialty restaurant (Different meal prep) 

11. Treats delivered the stateroom several evenings( every cruise)

12.  Thought I recalled an excursion on TA cruises 

13  I recall different recognition years ago  ( Maybe Chandon sparkling wine or a photo) for top 2nd or 3rd cruiser or milestone cruise.  Recently when we reached these, we received just a certificate.

14 Not just for P's  but amenity list is often not filled per the request, substituted with cheaper wines. 

15. There are more, but they are C&A program wide and include other levels as well.  ( Like #14)   

Maybe more, I'd have to give it thought.

Personally I don't care too much about the suite or crown lounge access.  That is one of my least favorite benefits. Even when I have access, I rarely go.  Just spent 7 nights on Allure with  full access to CK/Suite Lounge.  Only used the lounge one night and that was  because our  dinner table was not ready. 

M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

There is no doubt in my mind diamonds will eventually be banned from the “new” crown lounge. At a recent lunch with officers, several of the officers stated they didn’t change the name of the diamond lounge just to change it. While they didn’t state in black and white diamonds would be banned in the future, it was pretty obvious reading between the lines. Otherwise, there would be no reason to change the name of the lounge. 

Lunch with officers - Nice  treat!  What ship?  Haven't had the meal WITH officers since pre covid. 

M

On 12/17/2023 at 11:55 AM, OCSC Mike said:

To each his own. If you think that will make you feel special and bring you happiness, go for it!

FWIW, I love making use of the lounge for multiple cappuccinos every morning and I do enjoy popping in to check out the snacks most nights... but I don't feel special when I'm in there.

I'm very much looking forward to turning D+ after our next cruise but that's just because I will make use of the extra vouchers, internet, BOGO dinners, and possibly the free laundry. I couldn't care less about any status aspect of it.

Wouldn't you know it....finally get onboard and win a Royal Up and we literally went to the suite lounge ONCE. Just never found the time. Lol

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

Wouldn't you know it....finally get onboard and win a Royal Up and we literally went to the suite lounge ONCE. Just never found the time. Lol

I've only had access to it twice... and my family lived there in June, lol. Best bartender ever (both as a guy and at making drinks) who we got to know really well.

Not our normal, frugal cruising routine so we made good use of the perks while we had them.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I've only had access to it twice... and my family lived there in June, lol. Best bartender ever (both as a guy and at making drinks) who we got to know really well.

Not our normal, frugal cruising routine so we made good use of the perks while we had them.

Happy to get on a ship at all. 🙄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I totally agree with you on this. The UPPERCASE writing is on the wall. Why else would they change the name? It is being done in a very slow process (to ease the pain and complaints) but eventually there will be no more Ds in the Crown Lounge. 

I think they may have changed the name because of the goal to move the Pinnacle members out of the suite spaces.  Not having it named for Diamonds is more inclusive.  Of course, who really knows what the future holds.  The Crown/DIamond Clubs are typically so crowded that we just use the 5 drinks anywhere anytime perk instead anyway.

On 12/18/2023 at 2:18 PM, cruisegirl1 said:

Lunch with officers - Nice  treat!  What ship?  Haven't had the meal WITH officers since pre covid. 

M

Might be referring to the "Cheers with an Officer lunch"? Which isn't exactly lunch with an officer. It has been stare at a few white shirts with maybe a question or two...when have a drinking fest with a bit of lunch.

Edited by neverbeenhere

On 12/19/2023 at 5:16 PM, 65Mommy said:

Is it really worth all the trips and expensing to reach this status?

It really depends on a multitude of factors. But the biggest one would have to be are you enjoying the cruises needed to climb the C&A ranks. Because if you're not enjoying the journey, the destination here is meaningless.

With that out of the way, the major questions you need to ask yourself when it comes to dashing for Diamond (or higher) are:

• What is the cost of reaching the tier in terms of money and used vacation time (if applicable)?
  • How often will the benefits be used once earned?

Past that, there's a few questions which require predicting the future.

• How much will the benefits I actually use be worth aboard future sailings?
  • How much will loyalty points cost to earn in the future?
  • How will changes to the program affect my benefits received?

Personally, I thought that it was worth climbing to Diamond over a two year period due to the fares I was seeing post startup back in 2021. I've sailed to Canada, Alaska, Eastern Caribbean, Western Caribbean, and have been to both of Royal's private islands. It's been a blast, and I've done it for less than how much some people will spend to reach Platinum. I also have the interest and the time off from work to sail a few weeks each year if I choose to do so. The status makes for a nice set of perks just for booking a run-of-the-mill cabin which extends out my vacation dollars.

• Like 2

On Odyssey, the Crown lounge was open to Diamonds all the time. On Symphony Diamonds could be in the Crown Lounge all the time ...EXCEPT....4;30 to 8:00PM ....and yes, they checked and asked anyone below D-Plus to leave. It is no big deal anymore as there is no more unlimited happy hour drinking anyway. They count all the drinks even for Pinnacle....use the voucher at any bar.

I don’t know about you folks, but I enjoy cruising. Being diamond gets you a better price if you book a balcony cabin or higher.  You get free drinks per day.  Before that not.  

So, if the person climbing the tree, enjoys climbing, why criticize or try to convince them the tree is dead?  

I have enough cruises on hold to get to about half way to Pin…. Will I get to Pin?  Probably not, because I love all travel and not just cruises, but I can’t say I am not envious of those who make it.  

CAN YOU?🤣

peace out

jc