Earliest Departure Time Miami

tert333

There is a group of us traveling on the Oasis in April.   One couple have booked a flight for 8:40AM.   I normally don't book anything before noon.   Do you think there is any chance of them making the flight with no checked luggage?

Edited by tert333

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

There is a group of us traveling on the Oasis in April.   One couple have booked a flight for 8:40AM.   I normally don't book anything before noon.   Do you think there is any chance of them making the flight with no checked luggage?

No I do not think so. How many ships are on port? They are supposed to check in two hours in advance at the airport. Unless their ship docks the previous night, very unlikely to meet an early flight. 

Is there a chance they'll make it?  Of course there's a chance, but it's really cutting it close.  I've been at my gate at both FLL and MIA by 8:00 plenty of times.  Their only real hope is to be one of the first off the ship.

I wouldn't hesitate to book a 9:30 flight from either.  I'm definitely not one of those "NEVER book a flight before noon" people, but even I wouldn't chance an 8:40 departure time.

Your friends must be a glutton for punishment. Are they positive that in this specific day there will be no weather issues entering the port on time? Are they positive there will be no delays with getting the ship cleared with Customs? Are they positive there will not be an accident on the freeway or even semi moderate traffic? Are they positive that the airport will have no line at security?? I wish I had their crystal ball

Edited by TheDawg79

I guess if everything goes right, they can make it?

Sunday, Dec 10th... wife and I did express walk-off (Oasis) in Miami.  AT&T Cell service wasn't that great in the terminal, but managed to get in an Uber at 7:19am.  Got to MIA at 7:36am.

Even though we had TSA Pre-Check, that line took a lot longer than it should have!

(We originally had a 10am flight; Jet Blue changed it to 12p)

22 hours ago, tert333 said:

Terrible idea.  First, sometimes ships might dock late.  If other ships at the port, customs agents might not be at your terminal.  Also even with carry on luggage, before 11:00-11:30 very risky.  Airports are crowded now as more people travel.  We also don't book before noon.

To avoid any stress, change your flight.

Magic Eight Ball says: They won't make it.

Only chance

check in with the airline, the day before returning to port.

Be the first person in line to exit the ship. They will need to get up at 6am and stand at the appropriate spot until the crew open the flood gates. Then grab the first taxi. Then run to the gate.

Edited by neverbeenhere

• 3 weeks later...

Twice in twelve or so cruises in Florida we have not BEGAN self disembarkation until 7:45 to 8:00.  First was due to 45 minutes of the ship paging 4 cruisers who would not go to GS.  So they held up everyone.  Second we missed a 5 AM Harbor Master pick up due to being a little behind, pushed docking back an hour.

One in Boston we did not begin disembarkation until minutes after 8:00.  

Many other cruises they have started at 6:30 and 6:45.  

As Harry Callahan said…..”Do you feel lucky?”

Eddie