Libraries onboard

sunsetme

1 minute ago, KKB said:

I entirely disagree, as does our 25YO DD, both voracious readers.

We still MUCH prefer a physical book & when at home that is what we read.

Only read on my iPad when I travel (only at home to finish a book I might not have finished while traveling).

Well, that is cool if you strongly disagree but, please reread my post and you will find the word "likely" (not the same as 100%).

Cheers

2 minutes ago, AZjohn said:

Well, that is cool if you strongly disagree but, please reread my post and you will find the word "likely" (not the same as 100%).

Cheers

LOL fair enough. Since we don't have any demographic facts to back it up, we are at an impasse.

(oh, the librarian in me LOVES some good facts!!)

Cheers!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AZjohn said:

I will add that once you go to a kindle (or tablet, iPad, etc.), after reading one ebook you will likely never go back to reading a paperback or hardback book again😊.

10 minutes ago, KKB said:

Only read on my iPad when I travel (only at home to finish a book I might not have finished while traveling).

I consider myself a voracious reader and I disagree with both you and your daughter and agree with @AZjohn.  Once I started using my Kindle, the amount of physical books I bought dropped to near zero and the amount of time I spent with my physical books (of which I had - and have - many) also dropped to near zero.  I think Kindles and the apps attached to them are the bomb. 🤩

Edited by Honolulu Blue

6 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I consider myself a voracious reader and I disagree with both you and your daughter and agree with @AZjohn.  Once I started using my Kindle, the amount of physical books I bought dropped to near zero and the amount of time I spent with my physical books (of which I had - and have - many) also dropped to near zero.  I think Kindles and the apps attached to them are the bomb. 🤩

DH saw more ebook checkouts in his middle school library than I (mine were VERY low in elementary). But they were a small percentage of overall checkouts.

Obviously digital books are very popular. 
Hopefully we will always have both print & digital books for a long time to come, to please everyone.

• Like 1

Books are heavy to lug around and take up too much space.  I'll take the electronic form for pleasure reading any day.  The only time that I use a physical book is for when I'm taking a class and need to study.  Highlighting and annotating sections electronically doesn't give me the same satisfaction or memory recall as doing it with a wet pen and highlighter on paper.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KKB said:

I guess my question is why?  The content is the same.  What is the allure to paper pages glued together over digital?  Thinking about it, I can see it if one likes to keep a bookshelf/home library.  

32 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Books are heavy to lug around and take up too much space.  I'll take the electronic form for pleasure reading any day.  The only time that I use a physical book is for when I'm taking a class and need to study.  Highlighting and annotating sections electronically doesn't give me the same satisfaction or memory recall as doing it with a wet pen and highlighter on paper.

That is a good point about textbooks.  I may be mistaken, but we can hi-lite and bookmark sections of ebooks on the Kindle. 

Edited by ldubs

37 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I may be mistaken, but we can hi-lite and bookmark sections of ebooks on the Kindle. 

You are correct, highlighting and bookmarking are both available on Kindles.  I don't use the bookmarks very much as 1) I don't fully understand how to use them, 2) I usually start reading where I stopped reading before, which is mostly what I used bookmarks for with physical books but are mostly unnecessary on Kindles, and 3) I usually just go to the table of contents to find where I need to go.  Highlighting I use a lot and prefer it to the old fashioned highlighting.  The smell of highlighters can make me dizzy if it's strong enough and I hate ruining a perfectly good book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I guess my question is why?  The content is the same.  What is the allure to paper pages glued together over digital?  Thinking about it, I can see it if one likes to keep a bookshelf/home library.  

That is a good point about textbooks.  I may be mistaken, but we can hi-lite and bookmark sections of ebooks on the Kindle. 

It’s the tactile experience u don’t get digitally.

its connect to positive emotions & memories—being read to as a child, and reading to my own. Turning those pages—LOVE it. 

So reading a physical books brings more endorphins than my iPad

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I find it easier to read paper as opposed to a screen--it's easier on my eyes. I also love the smell and as @KKB said, the tactile experience and turning of pages. I see progress without having to tap and bring it up. 

I take both physical and ebooks on vacation. I find it hard to read on a device in bright sun.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I find it easier to read paper as opposed to a screen--it's easier on my eyes. I also love the smell and as @KKB said, the tactile experience and turning of pages. I see progress without having to tap and bring it up. 

I take both physical and ebooks on vacation. I find it hard to read on a device in bright sun.

The Kindle Paperwhite works pretty well in all kinds of light (or dark).   To me if it pretty much the same as reading ink on paper.  Tactile experience, not so much.    

22 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Books are heavy to lug around and take up too much space.  I'll take the electronic form for pleasure reading any day.

Passengers always seem to find they have space to bring what is important to them. A 12 pack of soda, two bottles of wine (for a couple), a tuxedo if dressing for dinner is enjoyed, the need to buy a multi-device WiFi service for all the electronics they bring. 

Enjoying a good book is like savoring a good wine. You could physically consume a good wine from a red Solo cup, but it's more enjoyable in a proper wine glass. I'll allow for weight and bulk and bring a bound book.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Passengers always seem to find they have space to bring what is important to them. A 12 pack of soda, two bottles of wine (for a couple), a tuxedo if dressing for dinner is enjoyed, the need to buy a multi-device WiFi service for all the electronics they bring. 

Enjoying a good book is like savoring a good wine. You could physically consume a good wine from a red Solo cup, but it's more enjoyable in a proper wine glass. I'll allow for weight and bulk and bring a bound book.

If I need it and can't purchase it at the embarkation port city the day before my cruise or while in port or have it fit in my luggage constraints as set forth by the airline I'm flying, then I don't really need it for my cruise.

Edited by SCX22

On 12/20/2023 at 1:35 AM, Thrak said:

(Our TV didn't work for most of my childhood. I fixed it myself when the first Star Trek came out.) 

They didn't work often in our house because my mother would cut the cord if someone was watching when they weren't supposed to be; then we had to wait for dad to get around to fixing it.  Occasionally the tv was even off when she did it :classic_biggrin:.

And, "You can read 50 pages of this particular book or clean the kitchen."  My sister is an excellent housekeeper.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/20/2023 at 10:12 AM, LibrarianMonroe said:

"Visiting" the library doesn't necessarily mean reading books.  It could be for the computers, a warm place to study, the clubs, or the meeting rooms.  If it truly is for reading, then great!  That's not my experience where I live.

On 12/22/2023 at 12:06 AM, ldubs said:

The Kindle Paperwhite works pretty well in all kinds of light (or dark).   To me if it pretty much the same as reading ink on paper.  Tactile experience, not so much.    

I get it. You prefer an ereader. We'll just have to semi-disagree. And I'm done with this topic since you want to disagree with everyone that also likes paper books.

5 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

I get it. You prefer an ereader. We'll just have to semi-disagree. And I'm done with this topic since you want to disagree with everyone that also likes paper books.

Unless simply sharing our experiences is considered disagreeing, I disagreed with no one who likes paper books.  

On 12/19/2023 at 11:35 PM, Thrak said:

Very cool. When I was a kid we moved constantly and the first thing we did in each new town was to locate the library, get library cards, and walk home towing the wagon full of books. (Our TV didn't work for most of my childhood. I fixed it myself when the first Star Trek came out.) These days we contribute to the Chico Friends of the Library to do our bit to keep it up a running but, sadly, I get about 99.999% of my books electronically these days. I generally have anywhere from 20 - 40 books on my devices at all times. (We do watch some TV but it's all streaming stuff with no commercials and we haven't seen any of the "popular" or "must see" TV shows for the past 40 years or so.) I am seriously saddened by the fact that most people these days simply don't read books. I feel sorry for those who were never encouraged to develop a love of reading. It is, simply put, one of the greatest pleasures in life.

This. I adore reading but that isn’t the norm. I love a physical book but given the absence of book stores I read on my Kindle/iPad or checkout from the library. People have no idea what they’re missing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been using a Kindle for several years.  DW still prefers regular books and takes 4 or 5 to donate to the ship library whenever we cruise.  It does seem that some of the newer ships don't have them.  Anyone know if Majestic and Sun have one?

One negative comment about Kindles.  Amazon could really stand to hire a few actual editors.  Seems like what passes for editing and proofreading today is nothing more than using spellchecker.  

Edited by cltnccruisers
grammar
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I love my kindle; however, my husband loves a book.  We will be looking for a library on the Majestic next month.  As a side note, 3 of my 5 grandkids have their noses in books constantly.  They even "sneak read" under the covers with a flashlight after lights out!!  Good problem as I see it!

• Like 3

On 12/20/2023 at 12:35 AM, Thrak said:

I am seriously saddened by the fact that most people these days simply don't read books. I feel sorry for those who were never encouraged to develop a love of reading. It is, simply put, one of the greatest pleasures in life.

So true. I’m not a fan of e-books and like a good old fashion hardcover book for a cruise. 📚 A pain to pack but so great to find a place to settle on the ship and while away the hours reading. 😌

Edited by philv
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, philv said:

So true. I’m not a fan of e-books and like a good old fashion hardcover book for a cruise. 📚 A pain to pack but so great to find a place to settle on the ship and while away the hours reading. 😌

Paperbacks are easier to pack. We buy ours at a read it again used bookstore that uses its proceeds to fund literacy volunteers. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 8:06 PM, AZjohn said:

lol…. That has been me exactly recently. I’m finding rereading books I downloaded 10 years ago is like reading a book I never read before.

Kind of scary to be honest but, at lease it’s saving me some money🤪.

Cheers

Gosh, I reread favorites all the time.  I have several that I read at least once a year.  Not because I have forgotten them, but I am caught up in the writing and story.

I notice fewer and fewer books in ship libraries, if they even have a library.  I get it, I use my Kindle most of the time for convenience, especially when traveling.  Easier to hold, I have hundreds of books on it and get a lot of free books as well, some actually pretty good.

I am also happy to say that two of my five grandkids, all in their early 20's, are avid readers.  I guess 2 out of 5 isn't bad these days.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2023 at 6:50 AM, mtnesterz said:

Yep. I've got 8 books & 2 bottles wine in my 22" suitcase, enough to handle 9 sea days. Guess I'm not packing as many clothes. Priorities 

• Like 3

On 12/20/2023 at 7:37 AM, SCX22 said:

Libraries and wrap around promenades don't generate revenue and have been eliminated from most new mass market ship builds.

Basically correct BUT:  I do try and avoid cruises that have eliminated libraies and promenades so they do not get any revenue from me as I don't go.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2023 at 10:54 AM, AZjohn said:

@ldubs did a great job answering your question.

I will add that once you go to a kindle (or tablet, iPad, etc.), after reading one ebook you will likely never go back to reading a paperback or hardback book again😊.

Cheers

Not true with me and I strongly suspect also not true with lots and lots of other people.  Why do people who like kindles seem to want to disparage those who do not like to read on kindles?  If you like kindles then by all means use them.  If you prefer real books than there is absolutely nothing wrong with that either.

As to being easier to carry around than paper books that certainly is true.  But I have never had a problem in making room in my luggage for enough books to cover my cruise.  I would rather have a good book then an extra pair of shoes or more clothes that i will likely never even wear or miss if i don't have. 

For those ships that still have some semblance of a library even if just a take one leave one paperback library thank you.  How  hard is it to provide a couple hundred square feet and a few shelves.  I go to whatever version of library is available and there are always lots of other people taking a look at the books in my experience.

I always bring paperbacks and always leave them behind for the next guests and obviously many others do the same as i generally can find some interesting books left behind and have enjoyed reading maby of them.  To those who also bring and leave books, thank you.

• Like 4