Please offer tips for not getting bumped from GTY

PatMunits

Looks like the cruise that we booked is super popular. I booked it while being aboard our last cruise so we're only out $200. At this time I see that only GTY category is available, with no option to pick your own interior room. This tells me that RCL is fully booked for this cruise. Sure, it's not yet past the final payment date, so some reservations will drop off. However, seeing that I likely reserved close to the bottom price I suspect that my chance of getting cancelled by RCL are too high for my liking. After all, they have showcased that they are now willing to overbook a cruise beyond reasonable numbers.

I don't have additional obligations that tie RCL to my booking such as a corresponding Air2Sea, or port excursions. A few hundred bucks will be committed to the internet, and maybe a dining package, but that's about it.

This is a cruise that I don't want to miss or change dates. I already have my plane tickets, and some hotel reservations.

What can I possibly do to elevate my chances of not getting cancelled as was done to some people this year in Australia? Would bidding early and higher for RoyalUp in any way elevate my chances?

Edited by PatMunits
grammar

The chances of another last  minute mess up like in Australia surely are very small. They should have noticed beforehand and usually they send emails to those who might want to give up their cabin for a free cruise or some inducement.

My theory is dont worry about things you cant change or predict. I might have a car accident. I might win a million dollars. 

If I live locally I'm open to a decent offer if they want to bump me.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, PatMunits said:

Looks like the cruise that we booked is super popular. I booked it while being aboard our last cruise so we're only out $200. At this time I see that only GTY category is available, with no option to pick your own interior room. This tells me that RCL is fully booked for this cruise. Sure, it's not yet past the final payment date, so some reservations will drop off. However, seeing that I likely reserved close to the bottom price I suspect that my chance of getting cancelled by RCL are too high for my liking. After all, they have showcased that they are now willing to overbook a cruise beyond reasonable numbers.

I don't have additional obligations that tie RCL to my booking such as a corresponding Air2Sea, or port excursions. A few hundred bucks will be committed to the internet, and maybe a dining package, but that's about it.

This is a cruise that I don't want to miss or change dates. I already have my plane tickets, and some hotel reservations.

What can I possibly do to elevate my chances of not getting cancelled as was done to some people this year in Australia? Would bidding early and higher for RoyalUp in any way elevate my chances?

Booked a gty inide for a cruise leaving 6 weeks out. The cruise has gone from looking like it only had 12 cabins available at day 40 to having 86 cabins in various categories at day 30. TAs are granted blocks to sell that arent accounted for on the regular website. I agree what happened had more to do with possible unexpected cabin failures or covid isolation of employees. 

Edited by Saoa0318
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Saoa0318 said:

Booked a gty inide for a cruise leaving 6 weeks out. The cruise has gone from looking like it only had 12 cabins available at day 40 to having 86 cabins in various categories at day 30. TAs are granted blocks to sell that arent accounted for on the regular website. I agree what happened had more to do with possible unexpected cabin failures or covid isolation of employees. 

TA blocks are released at 120 days.

The debacle in Australia, albeit a hot mess, was definitely not the norm. We booked a suite gty for our recent sailing on Anthem. I would randomly check the availability of cabins (not looking to change, just being curious), one day it would be sold out, two days later there would be balconies only available, a week later everything was sold out except suites. Not sure when your cruise is, but keep checking the availability, if something opens up see if you can switch cabins. 

As firely stated, can't worry about what you can't control. 

• Like 1

Okay then, thank you everyone. I'll just keep watching my papers. I'll make sure to arrive to the check in early in case there's no assigned cabin by the sail date. I think this might be the most sure way to grab a cabin from the last remaining block of available cabins on the sail date, in case they remain overbooked.

Edited by PatMunits

8 hours ago, PatMunits said:

Voyager - 16May2024 - 11 nights - Barcelona-Athens
GTY rate when reserved $1290pp

GTY rate today $2667pp

I wouldn't worry about it, it's extremely unlikely they will bump anyone but if they did I don't think it would be someone who has flown across the Atlantic to get there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PatMunits said:

Voyager - 16May2024 - 11 nights - Barcelona-Athens
GTY rate when reserved $1290pp

GTY rate today $2667pp

Next May?! 
Don’t even bother panicking or checking for your cabin # until 45 days out when you can check in, then use the Apple Wallet trick to see if your cabin has been assigned (even if it still shows as GTS in your planner). 

At those prices there is no way this cruise is going to be sold out !

£4658 for a gty interior for 2. They are having a laugh. That’s $5869. 

Edited by little britain

25 minutes ago, little britain said:

then use the Apple Wallet trick to see if your cabin has been assigned (even if it still shows as GTS in your planner).

Thank you, I wasn't aware of this. This is a type of a tip that can be used to further asses the situation as embarkation date nears. 

• Like 1

The situation in Australia was extremely unfortunate to happen on a sold out ship , hopefully RCI have learned from it but I doubt it as it wasn't the first time GTYs have been oversold . 

We personally have been on 2 RCI cruises where they oversold GTY cabins , one was a Brilliance TA and the other was on Independence , both with the balcony GTYs. On the Brilliance folks were being contacted to give up their cabins and move to insides with great incentives , we had an inside cabin so weren't able to take advantage . 

We currently have 2 RCI cruises , a B2B , both GTY cabins ... I am not even thinking about them until near final payment date , thankfully we don't have flights involved.  

It pays to book flexible travel plans these days , you just never know what is going to happen . 

5 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

We personally have been on 2 RCI cruises where they oversold GTY cabins , one was a Brilliance TA and the other was on Independence , both with the balcony GTYs. On the Brilliance folks were being contacted to give up their cabins and move to insides with great incentives , we had an inside cabin so weren't able to take advantage . 

On a Vision TA (Arctic Crossing) we booked 2 assigned OV cabins.  They called and asked if we would give up the 2 OV for a 2BR GS.  🙂

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2023 at 5:29 PM, PatMunits said:

you're worrying about nothing

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 7:38 PM, Another_Critic said:

On a Vision TA (Arctic Crossing) we booked 2 assigned OV cabins.  They called and asked if we would give up the 2 OV for a 2BR GS.  🙂

On the Independence cruise in question they had oversold balcony and JS  GTYs , friends onboard had 2 JSs side by side and were offered the Presidential suite for free  as an incentive to give up the JSs which they did .  We visited with them in the PS which no longer exists now on the ship after the drydock  when they added the slides .. 

Other friends had booked the balcony gty and lucky for them they got a JS , we also visited with them in their cabin. Us? We booked the balcony GTY and got a D1 on deck 6 😆.  Now , here is the thing , we were B2B and still waiting on our cabin assignment at 2pm on the last day of the first cruise , the Diamond lounge Concierge didn’t even know what cabin we were scheduled to be in and kept asking us on that last day if we had heard anything yet . I am going to be constantly checking after final payment our Anthem cruises for cabin assignments. 

• Like 2