Using the new “Stockperks” app for Carnival stock owner’s benefit

RRFan

I started to open an account with Stock Perks but baulked when the site asked for my username and password to my brokerage account.

Why would I - anybody - do that? Is it possibly a ploy by the cruise lines to avoid giving onboard credits? Because I can't imagine too many people giving out such personal and potentially dangerous information.

RH Nowers

11 minutes ago, amglory said:

I started to open an account with Stock Perks but baulked when the site asked for my username and password to my brokerage account.

Why would I - anybody - do that? Is it possibly a ploy by the cruise lines to avoid giving onboard credits? Because I can't imagine too many people giving out such personal and potentially dangerous information.

RH Nowers

I opened an account on the app.  I did have to create a password for my account.  Never did I have to give any brokerage password.  When you get to the point on the app where it lists  brokerages mine was not listed .  There was a place for me to enter it and upload a photo of my current statement (with account # blacked out)  showing proof of ownership.   I received an email that they were reviewing it.  4 days later, another email that I was approved and would be able to redeem my perk..  I am not tech savvy, but I managed to get it to work!  Good luck...there is an email listed for questions or help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So, 

Several weeks ago I completed the steps and I see on the stockperks app that I am "eligible" and that I have "redeemed" yet our TA does not show the stockholder OBC (as before).

Is the OBC possibly there but not visible to the TA as in the past?

Any intel on how to confirm?

5 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Several weeks ago I completed the steps and I see on the stockperks app that I am "eligible" and that I have "redeemed" yet our TA does not show the stockholder OBC (as before).

I did as you have done, and then emailed my PCC for new booking statements. They came without the OBC! PCC then said, you could have just asked me! 

I think this is the same as your TA not seeing it (they are looking at the booking statements through HAL portal). Do not assume "the OBC possibly there but not visible to the TA", as others have reported that it was impossible to get the OBC on board even with emails.

At that time I emailed the old address (cclshareholderhal@hollandamerica.com) and was scolded that I should have used StockPerks -- I had informed them that I had done so! -- and had to send them my proof of ownership, and they awarded the OBC on two cruises before end of July. 

I had my PCC check for the OBC and *then* send me new booking statements! 

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 1

The StockPerk app is still a disaster! !

When signing up (cell phones only, never via PC) it asks for your date of birth and income as well as the usual request for email address and password.  There is no reason the app needs your date of birth or your income.

Then, it wanted access to my brokerage account to verify that I owned Carnival Corp. stock....  What are the chances of a small startup keeping my details safe and/or not using them for other purposes?  Pretty low in my opinion.  If my details get hacked in the future do you think I'll get compensated for any losses (e.g., my brokerage account drained...).

Although I realize that by not signing up I'm foregoing $100 per Carnival cruise, please consider the risks and do yourself a favor by avoiding the app. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MalcolmCruiseCritic said:

it wanted access to my brokerage account to verify that I owned Carnival Corp. stock....

I never had to do that.....It's not required to complete the process....It's only an option.  I uploaded a pic of my statement.

(my frustration now is I have received notice on stockperks that I'm "eligible" and my perk has been successfully "redeemed" but the TA says the OBC is not in the booking confirmation.)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MalcolmCruiseCritic said:

When signing up (cell phones only, never via PC) it asks for your date of birth and income as well as the usual request for email address and password.  There is no reason the app needs your date of birth or your income.

Then, it wanted access to my brokerage account to verify that I owned Carnival Corp. stock....  What are the chances of a small startup keeping my details safe and/or not using them for other purposes?  Pretty low in my opinion.  If my details get hacked in the future do you think I'll get compensated for any losses (e.g., my brokerage account drained...).

Although I realize that by not signing up I'm foregoing $100 per Carnival cruise, please consider the risks and do yourself a favor by avoiding the app. 

I hope everyone is complaining in writing to HAL.  

10 hours ago, canadianbear said:

I hope everyone is complaining in writing to HAL.  

And to CCL since the requirement originated with them.

I have to think whatever fees they're paying to Stockperks is more than the cost of doing it internally. Especially since there seems to still be considerable follow up needed on their part handling all the missteps.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MalcolmCruiseCritic said:

I used it to get my $250 OBC without giving out any personal information or information about my brokerage account.  When they ask for DOB and income you don't have to tell the truth.  And they accept other ways of verifying your ownership than giving your brokerage access info.  As dozens of people have talked about here.

18 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

I never had to do that.....It's not required to complete the process....It's only an option.  I uploaded a pic of my statement.

(my frustration now is I have received notice on stockperks that I'm "eligible" and my perk has been successfully "redeemed" but the TA says the OBC is not in the booking confirmation.)

Mine didn't show up either, but it was easily fixed and credited to my onboard account by Guest Services once I was onboard.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Why?  Because of all the user error?  

Because it’s a PIA for most.  Perhaps there should be a tutorial posted until users are used to this new method.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Mine didn't show up either, but it was easily fixed and credited to my onboard account by Guest Services once I was onboard.

So yours was also a hassle & you had to get guest services to credit it.  

4 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Why?  Because of all the user error?  

Because you can't use a website; you MUST use an app. Even if you don't have a smart phone with which to use an app. 
Where is Plan B? Or even a Plan C??? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

That's good to hear....Did you show them the app with the "elegible" and "redeemed" and that was enough proof?  

23 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I would print the email out... There was another thread where showing on the phone did not get it applied.

Actually I showed the email on the phone and the guest services woman forwarded it to their email account and 2 days later (it was the weekend) I got a call that the OBC had been credited to my onboard account.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Actually I showed the email on the phone and the guest services woman forwarded it to their email account and 2 days later (it was the weekend) I got a call that the OBC had been credited to my onboard account.

I did, however, have a printed copy of the email just in case, but never needed it.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 5:46 AM, FlaMariner said:

So, 

Is the OBC possibly there but not visible to the TA as in the past?

Any intel on how to confirm?

Just received a current booking confirmation from my TA and no stock onboard credit has been posted yet. I received the Stockperks email that says my onboard credit of $250 was applied to my booking on Jan 29th.

Not impressed with the new procedure.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 4:31 PM, MalcolmCruiseCritic said:

You can always give some fictitious information for those data point. And you don't have to give it access to your brokerage account. I printed off the relevant copy of my recent statement, did the normal black out process that I would do for sending into CCL/RCL and uploaded a picture of that to the app. After a couple of days (and a message to poke them) I got the email on verification and then went back into the app and claimed my perk. Not the best system. But why anyone would give this app access to your brokerage account is beyond me. 

Thats also one of the key items that adds a new step to the old process. Once your verified, you have to go and claim your perk. So Step 1 - Get verified, Step 2 - Claim Perk (OBC). On the Claim Perk action it asks for the booking number so that it can determine how much OBC you get.