The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday, January 4th, 2024

kazu

Posted (edited)

They are setting up for tonight’s World Cruise Gala. Looks like the rain is gone and we will be enjoying cocktail’s, dinner and music outdoors. Dress is Coastal Casual?
There are about 200 signed up for full cruise. As a bonus I get to watch the Zaandam Sail Away.

image.thumb.jpeg.012cb314432e7067e6bb89c37b5d974c.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good cold and cloudy afternoon It’s still supposed to snow here Saturday, but may change to rain . 
  I had a haircut this afternoon and my hairdresser said she is planning to retire sometime this year. I’m not surprised but sad to hear it.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 13

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon.  It is sunny and the wind has slowed down, but it is 57F, so it will be chilly even in the sun with the breeze.  At least, the the cooler weather, I'm getting caught up on inside chores.  

This morning, we dropped the donations off, then drove around town and out to the LTVA (Long Term Visitor Area) where the BLM allows long term dry camping in the desert, for a fee.  Those areas were getting crowded, but the free 14-day areas are not full yet, and most of the commercial campgrounds are not full.  There still isn't as much traffic in town as there normally is in January, but the vendors are set up and waiting for shoppers.

Yesterday after the rain ended, the sun came out, and I went outside to see if we had a rainbow.  There wasn't a rainbow, but the sun on the trees with the the rain clouds to  the east was pretty.  A few minutes later as the sun set, there was a pretty sunset to the east and south.

20240103_171606.jpg.e1bcceceea2a59799e5b57cfb5524576.jpg

20240103_171610.jpg.cc96e07f7c462af1312479a22a5961c0.jpg

20240103_174347.jpg.b1eea5bbac90e65e37e491a648acd238.jpg

20240103_174355.jpg.493e02eadd45d0555640029386166019.jpg

5 hours ago, NextOne said:

Well, the new year is starting off with good news/bad news from the HVAC technician. The good news -- The furnace is 17 years old and "should make it through the winter "as long as we don't have sustained temps in the low 20s. Hmmm. The bad news, obviously, is that I'm probably going to have to replace the system before next winter.  $$$$$! I'll have to seriously decide whether I should cancel my Rotterdam cruise in June.... Decisions, decisions!

I had planned to take down the Christmas decorations outside on Saturday (Epiphany), but the weatherman says this afternoon will be blustery, so I want to get the ornaments off the front tree before they blow off. Plus it looks like snow/rain on Saturday -- not a good day for working outdoors! So I'm going to bundle up now & get the job done.

Have a good day, friends!

Edi, that is good news and bad news about the furnace.  I hope you don't have to cancel your cruise.  I wonder if the prices might be slightly lower between heating seasons.  I'm sure the closer to next winter the more demand for furnaces and the higher the price.  I hope you got the ornaments down before the wind got to them.

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Good morning from Volendam, somewhere at sea.

For those thinking about longer cruises it looks like the rules are changing a bit.

hold.thumb.png.41a0d5dafd6488bac1095b503ef2cd87.png

Friends on the World Cruise have been told that their accounts would be settled every 30 days as well.

Rich, I imagine the changes to when the accounts are charged to a credit card were not happily received.  My guess is it will also affect those of us who b2b2b cruises.

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @kazu and @richwmn.

3 good days. The quote is nonsensical. I like the meal and drink. Pass on the wine. I haven't been to Loreto. 

It's 32F and cloudy. There was snow on the rooftops and grass this AM, but roads are fine. Yesterday the Rheumatologist was very sympathic toward my plight, but it's really out of her area of expertise. She did find a couple of small rheumatoid nodules on the inner aspect of my fingers. I got about 4 hours of sleep, having taken Benadry for my RA injection last evening. 

@Denise T Congrats on working toward your doctorate.

@dfish Welcome back to the Daily meal, and thanks to TIna @0106 for helping out. I like the first recipe, as I'm a big fan of Skinnytaste recipes. 

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for the continued travelogue. Too bad that day you and DH couldn't get on the zodiac. Happy Birthday to Jen and Ashley!

@aliaschief Have a great cruise!

@seagarsmoker I'm glad you're finally feeling better. 

@VMax1700 I hope all is ok with your DW.

@ger_77 Good to hear you don't need surgery. I've had shoulder surgery and it's not fun. 

@Mtn2Sea Great photos.

@marshhawk Great news that the Keytruda is working for DH!

@St Pete Cruiser Welcome home!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely photos from Loreto.

@NextOne Sorry about the furnace news. 

@richwmn Thanks for the info.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm sorry the Rheumatologist could not be of more help.  I'm glad you got more sleep last night.

4 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Jacqui, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. Thank you @0106 Tina for substituting and keeping the delicious recipes forthcoming.  And thank you everyone for being here!

My first posting on the Daily for this year. I just decided to take a break for the holidays but time to get back in the routine! Starting with: Up early this morning for lab work as I have my semi-annual appointment with my doctor on Monday.

Even with the new prognosis on Sam's health, our plans for the April cruise on the Rotterdam will now happen as originally planned. Our dogsitter was already booked with someone else those days but our vet last year did not expect him to still be around. It is DSIL 75th birthday so we planned it to celebrate with a HAL cruise. With the good news about Sam, I had then planned on just staying home with him. But Sue's and DSIL's one brother has agreed to visit from Ohio plus care for Sam while the three of us go on the cruise.

With all that it also requires that we need to re-evaluate our Fall trip to Italy as the inevitable decision about Sam will now happen later. The Summer heat is hard on Northern breeds and Sam had a rough Summer last year. Originally we were going to spend time traveling around on land besides a cruise to Greece and Turkey as well as a Transatlantic. Now we plan on just going for less than a month late October ending with the MSC Transatlantic early November. 

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Jack, I'm glad you will all be able to go on your April cruise.  It was nice of your DBIL to volunteer to take care of Sam.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I'm not looking at surgery as an alternative.  I would like the nerve ablation for the stenosis.  She wants the MRI to diagnose the stenosis, but I already have a diagnosis of spinal stenosis.   I have to do the PT for the nerve ablation because it has been more than 2 years since I had nerve ablation.  I did not need an MRI for that in the past.  We may do the epidural injections.  We'll see.

Debbie, I hope you can get the ablation for the stenosis instead of the epidural injections.  I have refrained from saying anything before about the epidurals when so many Dailyites were getting them.  DH had bilateral epidural injections twice and one in the center of the spine.  Unfortunately, none of them worked.  He did some research and found they work about 50 percent of the time or less.  Keep being the squeaky wheel and push for the ablation.

39 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good cold and cloudy afternoon It’s still supposed to snow here Saturday, but may change to rain . 
  I had a haircut this afternoon and my hairdresser said she is planning to retire sometime this year. I’m not surprised but sad to hear it.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

I'm sorry you will be faced with finding a new hairdresser.  Good ones are hard to find, and I've had two retire in the past ten years.  I'm hoping the one I have here and the one in Texas are young enough to outlast me.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 5

45 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, I hope you can get the ablation for the stenosis instead of the epidural injections.  I have refrained from saying anything before about the epidurals when so many Dailyites were getting them.  DH had bilateral epidural injections twice and one in the center of the spine.  Unfortunately, none of them worked.  He did some research and found they work about 50 percent of the time or less.  Keep being the squeaky wheel and push for the ablation.

I've had the ablation before and it has helped.  I would prefer to do that rather than the epidurals.  Sometimes those aggravate the situation more.  We went mall walking today and I don't know if it is an effect of the surgery or what, but my thighs were burning with pain.  Typical stenosis symptom.  I had to stop quite often even using my cane.  Usually I am good for a while with the cane.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, dfish said:

I've had the ablation before and it has helped.  I would prefer to do that rather than the epidurals.  Sometimes those aggravate the situation more.  We went mall walking today and I don't know if it is an effect of the surgery or what, but my thighs were burning with pain.  Typical stenosis symptom.  I had to stop quite often even using my cane.  Usually I am good for a while with the cane.

Debbie, sorry about the pain, and I wish it was easy for you to get the ablation which you know works.  

Lenda

• Like 6

I am quite late today as I was an invited guest to the Naturalization Ceremony for my nephew's wife. There were at least 40 to 50 people who became new Citizens of the USA today. The oath of allegiance is quite long and surprising to me. The entire ceremony was very impressive and afterwards we took her to lunch. She chose a Chinese Buffet. 

Yesterday I had a follow up appointment with the PA for my Cardiologist.  My mitral valve stenosis has progressed from moderate to moderately severe, I have peripheral artery disease with SFA Stenosis in both legs, and mild aortic valve leakage. She changed some meds and ordered a TEE and a referral to the heart failure clinic. She believes that the Mitral Valve may be the cause of my fatigue and shortness of breath.

Today's meal and wine both sound wonderful, the drink, not so much.

Thanks to all who shared photos of Loreto. tI have been to Loreto 3 times and enjoy it very much.

Prayers for those that need them and hurrahs for those who don't.

Jane

• Like 13

The good news: I picked up my glasses, and the second pair had come in.

Not so good: I have no idea whether I'm leaving tomorrow as scheduled, or whether I'm going anywhere at all, because the cat sitter hasn't called me back.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

I am quite late today as I was an invited guest to the Naturalization Ceremony for my nephew's wife. There were at least 40 to 50 people who became new Citizens of the USA today. The oath of allegiance is quite long and surprising to me. The entire ceremony was very impressive and afterwards we took her to lunch. She chose a Chinese Buffet. 

Yesterday I had a follow up appointment with the PA for my Cardiologist.  My mitral valve stenosis has progressed from moderate to moderately severe, I have peripheral artery disease with SFA Stenosis in both legs, and mild aortic valve leakage. She changed some meds and ordered a TEE and a referral to the heart failure clinic. She believes that the Mitral Valve may be the cause of my fatigue and shortness of breath.

Thanks to all who shared photos of Loreto. tI have been to Loreto 3 times and enjoy it very much.

Jane

Jane we hope and pray that your medical team can take care of these medical issues. Bruce & Sue

• Like 8

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Not so good: I have no idea whether I'm leaving tomorrow as scheduled, or whether I'm going anywhere at all, because the cat sitter hasn't called me back.

I eventually reached her through a friend who had her email address. Everything is OK.

• Like 11

Good evening. It’s been rainy and drizzling most of the day and cold. 🥶

@Nickelpenny Pennie, I hope you made it home okay, safe and sound. 

Jane @lazey1, I’m hoping your doctors can help with your mitral valve situation. I’m sure that’s why you’ve been tired and fatigued. 

Have a good night everyone and sleep well. 💤

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lazey1 said:

Jane

Jane, congratulations to your nephew's wife on becoming a US citizen. I'm sorry you didn't get good news from your cardiologist's PA.  I hope the change in meds helps, and I hope the TEE will give them answers to solve some of the problems including the fatigue and shortness of breath.

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I eventually reached her through a friend who had her email address. Everything is OK.

Paul, I'm glad you reached the cat sitter, and  that everything is arranged for your trip.  Glad you got both pairs of your glasses.  Safe travels tomorrow.

Lenda

• Like 6

I am really late to the party.  It is already tomorrow.

Can’t sleep so I finally had a minute to read all the posts.

Let’s just say that the last two days have not been easy.

More later.

Good night everyone.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I am really late to the party.  It is already tomorrow.

Can’t sleep so I finally had a minute to read all the posts.

Let’s just say that the last two days have not been easy.

More later.

Good night everyone.

God Bless,

Terri

Best wishes Terri.

It is 6°C and the rain is pouring down here.

Sad to hear about the Iowa high school shooting yesterday.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• LauraS locked this topic