Missing final payment by a few days

Did you book directly with Celebrity or a TA?

Call whoever you booked through, there is a small chance they might extend the due date slightly.

If you don't call I think the computers automatically cancel the reservation and you lose your deposit.

If you are late you may well lose the trip. The charge to your card does not instantly go to your account. It will go into "pending" for a day or two before it is posted to the account. I assume you are trying to get it onto the next billing cycle.

Edited by RTShaker

2 hours ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Final payment is due the day after my credit Card closes out.

what happens if I am a day or two late with final payment?

What is meant by "credit card closes out"?   I would normally take that to mean the end of a billing period, but that wouldn't matter.  If it means the credit card will no longer be valid then @SouKnoMe has it right -- make other arrangements.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, ldubs said:

What is meant by "credit card closes out"?   I would normally take that to mean the end of a billing period, but that wouldn't matter.  If it means the credit card will no longer be valid then @SouKnoMe has it right -- make other arrangements.  

All I can figure is they might go over their credit limit and it would be declined. If that is the case they should call the credit card company an attempt to get their credit limit raised. Or make a payment before the end of the period so they don’t go over their credit limit. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

I suspect the intent is to have the final payment applied to the credit card’s new monthly billing cycle (period) and thus have an additional month before Celebrity final payment charges are due & have to be paid.  

• Like 1

I think payment is  actually due to Celebrity 10 weeks before the sailing, but if you booked with a TA, it could be as much as 16 weeks before. If you booked with a TA call them.

Very risky,  not a chance we would take..once the  cruise is automatically cancelled..the deposit will be lost with any penalties (?) and someone will get your room..

options...pay down card asap,  call card co for increase in  limit,  or apply for a new card,   make final payment a few days ahead (just in case there are issues)

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you meant by "credit card closeout", but here's an idea.  If you're concerned about the balance being charged and due the next billing cycle if you make the payment later in the day of final payment there's a chance it want appear on the current statement.  Sometimes it takes two days to show up.  This isn't guaranteed, but possible.  If it shows up on the next bill having some interest is better than risking losing out on a cruise, plus your deposit.

If you're at your limit and you can't go over assuming you have good credit open another credit card and use it.

As previously stated call and ask for an increase if this is an issue.

I would not call Celebrity and try and get an extension.  Even if they said yes, how can you trust them?

The bottom line is if you want to go on the cruise get creative.  Figure out how to make this work.  

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

All I can figure is they might go over their credit limit and it would be declined. If that is the case they should call the credit card company an attempt to get their credit limit raised. Or make a payment before the end of the period so they don’t go over their credit limit. 

If that was the case the can make a payment now, or before the charge hits, to keep the card below the limit.

It’s been my experience that the charge only goes through into pending if there is available credit. There can also be issues with some credit cards - especially new ones - where the credit card company refuses to allow you to charge more during a credit cycle even if there is available credit.

To the OP, I would make a payment early, before the billing cycle closes out so you have available credit when the charge hits. Make the payment a few days early because there can be a lag. 

I don't see why so many people think this is a credit limit issue. I'd say it's 99% likely just to get the charge on the next billing statement to delay the payment by a month.

My cruise charges tend to go through two days after they are made, so if the payment date is the day before the statement closes, you're probably good. If it works, that's great, but I wouldn't push it.

35 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

I don't see why so many people think this is a credit limit issue. I'd say it's 99% likely just to get the charge on the next billing statement to delay the payment by a month.

That is possible but it is unwise to risk getting a cruise cancelled to delay the payment just to move it a month. For a cruise I always pay 5 busness days ahead of when the payment is do to make sure the payment was accepted by the credit card company. For other goods and services it usually does not matter. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

You will find yourself with a cancelled reservation so make whatever adjust you need to avoid this

11 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I think payment is  actually due to Celebrity 10 weeks before the sailing, but if you booked with a TA, it could be as much as 16 weeks before. If you booked with a TA call them.

I always thought it was 90 days before sailing on Celebrity?

Other cruise lines may vary.

I book with at TA, final payment for a trip was due a day or two before the close of a billing cycle for my card.  I asked my agent about delaying the payment by 3 days to throw the charge into another billing cycle and give me 50 days to pay it rather than 25 days.  As a TA he said they had the flex built in so he could do it.  It was easy, it was safe.  OP, if you want to do it, ask your seller, they know a whole lot more about their rules than we do...

On 1/14/2024 at 8:13 PM, IJustWantToGo36 said:

Your post is unclear (at least to me).  What are you trying to accomplish?  What is the issue?  Why would you potentially be a day or two late with final payment?

If you are hoping that the charge for the final payment will go on the following month's statement, since you say that final payment is due the day after your credit card closes out (assuming you mean the end of the billing cycle), just pay it the day it is due and it will go on the new billing cycle. 

If that credit card is expiring or is being closed, either make final payment before it expires/closes or use a different credit card.

If you have maxed out your credit limit, just make a payment early to bring your credit card balance down.  However, if you don't have the funds to pay the balance down then perhaps going on a cruise vacation at this time would not be a wise financial decision. 

To answer your question directly, if you don't make final payment on or before the due date, your booking will be cancelled and your deposit will likely be forfeited.  If cabins are still available after your booking is cancelled, you can rebook at the prices now in effect.

14 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Usually TA's pay the final payment about one week before it's due.

I have had TAs with final payment dates from 20 days out to actual final payment date.  

For a cruise last year, I requested a one week extension for medical reasons from Celebrity which they granted.  Unfortunately, the computer system did not recognize this and my cruise was canceled. It took a lot of phone calls, headaches etc. to get the cruise reinstated but did receive a nice OBC! 

The invoice (client's copy) clearly states that final payment must be made one day prior to 90 days prior to departure or 75 days prior to departure for cruises of 4 nights or less.